Recommend a used bike for travelling around Thailand

edwardandtubs

I suffer from a numb arse and sore back when travelling on a scooter between, say, Chiang Mai and Nan, even with breaks. I think a bigger bike would be more comfortable but I don't really want to spend more than about 80,000 baht. I need it for travelling on highways, in the city and on paved mountain roads.

Comfort is the key thing for me followed by reliability/durability and I want something mainstream that's widely available in Thailand so easy to buy and sell and get repairs done. Any suggestions?

CBR150...you'll have more power than what a scooter offers, a proper clutch, and a really basic engine that with the exception of the Fuel Injection, any grease monkey can work on.

I had the old carb'd model and the seat, while narrow, did allow me to shuffle around on it and relieve dead spots. However, I ride stupid long distance and so my comfort level probably isn't the best thing to go by.

Another option is to consider a different windscreen and changing the seat. The wind should be directed up just over your shoulders. If it is up over your head you will get some nasty buffeting on your helmet that is extremely loud.

Read up on Corbin Seat's website. They provide a lot of information that you could get a local to replicate on your seat and decrease your discomfort.

Get yourself an air cushion. You can splurge out on an air hawk or if you budget does not stretch to that, buy one of those 40 baht blow up head pillows that goes around you neck. Blow it up just enough that there is a cm or so of air all round (maybe even less). You will be amazed the difference it makes.

post-143305-0-81707000-1410604367_thumb.

• Like 1

I like the look of the Ninja but are sport bikes any more comfortable than scooters? I've never ridden one but it looks like with sport bikes you have to lean forward a lot. Doesn't that put pressure where a man would least want it? Also wouldn't leaning forward be uncomfortable on your back after a while? Cruisers look more comfortable but I am worried about how they would fare on a winding mountain road.

I've had a Honda Phantom for 7 years, it has been a great little bike. I used her for a commute of 185kms there and back every weekend for a year. I swapped the saddle for a much more comfortable one, it cost 2000 Baht and the shop gave me 700 Baht for the old one, bargain as the standard seat was a bit hard on the nether regions. It's been a very reliable machine, changed out the cam tensioner at 25,000 kms as they do have a habit of failing. The only other problem I've had was the rear brake master cylinder failed, 1200 Baht and the cheap crappy spot and fog lights I had fitted shorted out the bike electrics, still bump started easily though. As Ridercn stated, the hill performance is pretty good considering it's only 200CC. Best of all I get 33kms per litre, I also have a Yamaha Virago 535, that gives 17 kms per litre.

Youd be surprised how well Phantoms handle on winding roads,definately not in sportbike territory. But if you just want to relax they do just fine and take tight curves fine.

If I had to choose a between a CBR250 and Phantom to ride between CNX and BKK, Id take the Phantom if speed wasnt an issue. Its a very comfortable bike.

The CBR250 has a more upright position than the Ninja 250/300.

The Dtracker is also another option.

Dunno what scooters you have been using but if it's the small ones maybe try one of the bigger ones forca or pcx,although I have never ridden one the pcx looks really comfortable for the longer journeys I imagine the pcx are ideal for a fun and relaxed ride that would be more about taking in the scenery than racing from bend to bend. ,failing that if you want to move up to a proper bike probably the cbr 250 or ninjas 250.

I'm looking to go up north to do a bit of riding myself in Dec/Jan and will be looking to hire a bike probably opt for versys

Edited by taninthai

Dunno what scooters you have been using but if it's the small ones maybe try one of the bigger ones forca or pcx,although I have never ridden one the pcx looks really comfortable for the longer journeys I imagine the pcx are ideal for a fun and relaxed ride that would be more about taking in the scenery than racing from bend to bend. ,failing that if you want to move up to a proper bike probably the cbr 250 or ninjas 250.

I'm looking to go up north to do a bit of riding myself in Dec/Jan and will be looking to hire a bike probably opt for versys

You will definitely not go wrong with the Versys. It has en extremely sitting position, almost upright. It this group ride at the end of the year takes off, I will probably be riding up on my Versys too.

The PCX is also very comfortable but lacking in the power department naturally, compared to the 650's. I once rode my PCX from Bkk to Yasothon (close to 600 km) and while it was comfy, it took a long time so I had it trucked back instead.

You will definitely not go wrong with the Versys. It has en extremely sitting position, almost upright. It this group ride at the end of the year takes off, I will probably be riding up on my Versys too.

The PCX is also very comfortable but lacking in the power department naturally, compared to the 650's. I once rode my PCX from Bkk to Yasothon (close to 600 km) and while it was comfy, it took a long time so I had it trucked back instead.

His budget is 80,000b !!!!!

honda cbr250 or kawasaki ninja 250.

but cbr250r with more low down torque will fare better in the mountains.

can get one of these for 60 - 80 k THB nowadays.

cbr250r is comfy. i did tours with it before longest 900 km from Krappy to Bangkok. comfy and all day at 150 kph and no issues.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Anything would be better than a scooter. If it is good condition and reliable all is good. But have you ridden a bigger bike than a scooter? Can you use a clutch and gears. Just looked on bahtsold here are a couple of suggestions. Don't know if they are still available.

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/shadow-slasher-400-cc-75-000-baht--176444?doqs=1 Should suit your needs and in Chaing Mai too. 400cc shadow

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/yamaha-sr-400-great-condition-quick-sale-162086?doqs=1 This one in Bkk, but they are a great fun bike. Could go anywhere on this. I like these. 400cc SR Yamaha

Not sure why the links aren't working. But go to bahtsold and you can look yourself if they won't work for you either.

Edited by aussiebrian

If you travel some of the mountain roads,I wouldn't consider anything smaller than A 500 CC.That would be my recommendation.

Seriously A 350 cc in the mountains you'll be ok,but it won't give ya the get up and go climbing that A 500 CC will.

Oh by the way.Thai drivers are very aggressive.If you have the same mine set you might make out.

If you don't you might end up in the hospital.I am not joking.I started driving in 1967.I stopped driving motorcycles in Thailand large cities.To me not just worth it.

His budget is 80,000b !!!!!

You (and the poster that liked your post) might have missed the fact that I was replying to a different poster from the OP wai2.gif

Try a Keyway Superlight 200cc cruiser, more comfortable & with a little more umph than a phantom 58000 Bht new, A Taiwanese bike made under license in Thailand, very simple mechanically & easily fixed by virtually any Thai bike mechanic, And before the chinese bike detractors come along, I've done 22000 km on mine & the only thing I've had to replace is the chain, twice. Anything much bigger is just a temptation to go too fast for Thai roads on, It'll cruise at 95 - 100 kmh all day which is fast enough to keep ahead of most of the traffic while slow enough to survive the odd unseen pothole or dog...

• Like 1

Try a Keyway Superlight 200cc cruiser, more comfortable & with a little more umph than a phantom 58000 Bht new, A Taiwanese bike made under license in Thailand, very simple mechanically & easily fixed by virtually any Thai bike mechanic, And before the chinese bike detractors come along, I've done 22000 km on mine & the only thing I've had to replace is the chain, twice. Anything much bigger is just a temptation to go too fast for Thai roads on, It'll cruise at 95 - 100 kmh all day which is fast enough to keep ahead of most of the traffic while slow enough to survive the odd unseen pothole or dog...

22,000 km and two chains seem a bit excessive. Do you do regular maintenance on your chain (cleaning lubing etc?)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it's between a Phantom on the one hand and Ninja/CBR 250 on the other. However good the Keyway may be I don't think I could buy a Chinese bike right now. I don't have much experience with manuals or anything above a 125 but those bikes seem quite newbie-friendly. The CBR 150 is also tempting as I'm not planning to ride that fast, but is it good enough for the winding, hilly roads of the north? Also a CBR 250 isn't that much more expensive if buying used.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Ninja/CBR 250 option as I think they'd be better on hills and in traffic and probably not that much less comortable than a Phantom.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I have been all over Thailand on my Pcx and think it's the perfect bike for the job ... Comfy, plenty of storage, never breaks, cheap maintenance , fast enough for Thai roads ...

Probably would do the job but then I think if I'm going to upgrade it might as well be to a 'real bike', even if I don't really need the speed. Also I think the sitting position of a scooter isn't ideal for long rides. Not for my back anyway.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Youd be surprised how well Phantoms handle on winding roads,definately not in sportbike territory. But if you just want to relax they do just fine and take tight curves fine.

If I had to choose a between a CBR250 and Phantom to ride between CNX and BKK, Id take the Phantom if speed wasnt an issue. Its a very comfortable bike.

The CBR250 has a more upright position than the Ninja 250/300.

The Dtracker is also another option.

I don't know much about the Dtracker but I remember people whizzing around Koh Phangan on them. It seems it would be a good all-rounder, especially on the lower quality roads.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

22,000 km and two chains seem a bit excessive. Do you do regular maintenance on your chain (cleaning lubing etc?)

Yes of course I do, but unfortunately the chains are made in China lol

yes, you can also look for kawa d tracker. good low down torque and can cope good with bad roads, can put different tires for different purposes too. they go also cheap second hand.

but i think cbr250 is more comfy and have more wind and weather protection if mostly asphalt.

just beware of any rental motorbikes!