Pc To Tv

Jockstar

I am getting pissed off with the quality of my DVD's i burn and watch on my standalone DVD player. I like to download movies and then burn to DVD. Some work fine till about 3/4 the way through then go all pixelly and dont play all the way. So i was thinking. Can i get these movies etc to play on my TV from the PC? I could watch on the PC but i dont want to sit in my chair and watch. I'd rather lie in bed and watch on the TV. I have a Geforce FX 5900 graphics card and i believe that i can plug into that to the TV. But i'd rather not run a cable over the floor to the TV. Is there any other way to get the movie onto my TV. Ifra red etc or something similar? Just a thought. If not then i may have to run a cable from PC to Tv. Any suggestions guys?

If you have a regular video out on your videocard, the easy way would be to buy an AV transmitter.

Hook the transmitter to your videocard, and the line out of your soundcard (mostly onboard the mainboard, green colored jack) also to the transmitter, hook up receiver to your TV and you're ready!

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/m_24gwtran.htm

This model I've seen many times in the electronic shops in Thailand, costs around 2000 Baht I think...

The wireless transmitters don't deliver great quality... at least they won't do your DVDs any justice. If you want quality, you should get at least a card that can deliver component (the red, greed, blue cables) video to your TV. If you have a modern LCD TV, you could even use the DVI (or VGA) connector.

If you want a good setup, you're going to need cables. The cables can't be overly long, either... quality deteriorates rapidly as cables get too long. A choice is to get a network media player and run ethernet cable. Thing is, these players aren't cheap.

The wireless transmitters don't deliver great quality... at least they won't do your DVDs any justice. If you want quality, you should get at least a card that can deliver component (the red, greed, blue cables) video to your TV. If you have a modern LCD TV, you could even use the DVI (or VGA) connector.

If you want a good setup, you're going to need cables. The cables can't be overly long, either... quality deteriorates rapidly as cables get too long. A choice is to get a network media player and run ethernet cable. Thing is, these players aren't cheap.

A friend tried wireless transmitters and the quality was bad on all (but some years ago, maybe they improved).

If you have a XBox with modchip, you can install a large HD and play it from the XBox.

If you have already the box a modchip is 21 US$ (good quality chip, bad quality starts at 5 USD) and the HD up to size.

You can connect the XBox with the PC (lan cable) and up and download the movies to it (I think streaming also works, but than again the cable issue). I think there are also wireless adaptors, but no experience with them....

My solution, as always YMMV :o

1 off 2nd hand PC (NEC DeskMate, 800MHz PIII) with wireless LAN card and video card with TV out. Sit this in the bedroom with the telly. VLC Media player installed. USB rodent on an extension cable (infrared wireless rodent may work ok) no keyboard required.

Wireless router hooked up so you can see a shared drive (where you store your movies) from the remote PC (in my setup another DeskMate).

Play your downloaded files over the wireless, works fine, quality is as good as the downloaded files, no need to convert video or burn DVDs. Plays streaming radio off the net as well. With a DVD drive installed it will also play DVDs.

Cost $150 or so all in.

QED

Edited by Crossy

1 off 2nd hand PC (NEC DeskMate, 800MHz PIII) with wireless LAN card and video card with TV out. Sit this in the bedroom with the telly. VLC Media player installed. USB rodent on an extension cable (infrared wireless rodent may work ok) no keyboard required.

Wireless router hooked up so you can see a shared drive (where you store your movies) from the remote PC (in my setup another DeskMate).

Play your downloaded files over the wireless, works fine, quality is as good as the downloaded files. Plays streaming radio off the net as well. With a DVD drive installed it will also play DVDs.

Cost $150 or so all in.

QED

want to add it is possible to have a simple infrared remote.

Sure you can buy it somewhere but friends made it themself maybe investment 10 US$.....

1 off 2nd hand PC (NEC DeskMate, 800MHz PIII) with wireless LAN card and video card with TV out. Sit this in the bedroom with the telly. VLC Media player installed. USB rodent on an extension cable (infrared wireless rodent may work ok).

Play your downloaded files over the wireless, works fine, quality is as good as the downloaded files. Plays streaming radio off the net as well. With a DVD drive installed it will also play DVDs.

Cost $150 or so all in.

QED

Crossy has it right if you have a spare PC or just get a 2nd hand one, don't need a monitor or keyboard. I have that type hookup at home and use a wireless rodent for control. Media PC upstairs connected to my plasma screen and wireless (shared) connection to the main hosting computer downstairs. The quality on mine is probably better then normal due to the plasma TV having a direct VGA connector on it.

ICan i connect via a coaxil ariel(sp)?

Simple answer is 'NO'

More complex answer is "yes, but you need a box".

If the telly has a Scart socket you should be able to get the signal in through there, you may need to do some hunting for the correct Scart to S-Video cable though :o

Let us know what inputs you have on the TV, and what outputs you have on the PC for more detailed advice :D

Dont profess to know a lot about these things but would this device do the trick?

http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm

The above link is for the pro version i bought the none pro version for 45 pound a couple of weeks ago works fine.................sends mp3 files direct from your pc to stereo bypassing the sound card in the pc without losing sound quality.

Not sure if i am reading the pro version correctly in that it can send dvds the same way to your tv?

(Or does the pro version only send digital audio and not video?)

Edited by thaiflyer1

I like to download movies and then burn to DVD.

My guess is that you download .avi movies, encoded as DivX or XVid, when you play them on the computer they are fine, but when you burn them as DVD and play them on your standalone DVD player quality is not good.

If that's the case then you can buy a standalone DVD player which can play DivX movies, then you'll burn the movie as it is (a .avi) on a CD (or DVD) and play it in the standalone DVD player with DivX capability. The quality will be the same as your computer, ie will depend only of the quality of the movie you downloaded, and not of the burning.

I have a Pioneer DVD player which can play DivX, cost me 3500THB, and works fine.

Hello,

To play files that i downloaded i use a DivX/DVD Player with Wireless Ethernet connection

TRANSGEAR DVX-500E.(price around 9000Thb) If use it wireless over my network. It works very easy, you just have to install a little server program that will stream audio, video and fotos as well as internet radio to your TV. Check it out on http://www.trans-technology.com/default.as..._specifications

You can also use hdd player, it connects to your tv wit a RGB/composite connection. It plays just about all files that you download and it is very portable. At phantip plaza you can buy it for about 2500bht and if you put in a 20Gb HD it wil be around 4500bht (the bigger the HD the higher the price)for a very portable HDD player with remote and a very good quality image. Check it out here http://twdome.trustpass.alibaba.com/offerd...Vga_Player.html

Greetings

I have the same DVD player as Yeti, which is now only 2900 Baht. (Pioneer DV-383S I think it is)

In my living room my PC is connected to my TV but not in my bedroom. This really is the easiest option, I have a lot of stuff and it only took me one day to burn all of it to DVD.

The benefit of a DIVX player is that not only do you not have any loss of quality (I am yet to burn anything that hasn't worked), but also that the file size stays the same. This means that on one DVD you can get about 5 - 6 movies or 2 - 3 comedy series.

This also serves to backup your collection in their original form, and looks a lot nicer in my bedroom than a pc tower.