Rolling Tobacco price and availability?

Duggsie

Hi,

I am guilty as charged (being hooked on nicotine) and choose rolling my own over pre-packed ciggies (don't like the taste and don't like the smell....too many other chemicals/additives in them).

Should I get on my way, in Duty Free, or is Western rolling tobacco cheaper and readily available in Thai tourist locations, please?

Cheers. Duggsie smile.png

PS. I generally smoke either "Golden Virginia" or "Old Holborne" but am not overly bothered.

GV & Drum cheaper here than in Duty free in the UK, never seen OH here, by tourist locations I am talking of Bkk and Pattaya.

Why not go Thai style and buy a bag of the local stuff for 20 baht, bring your own Rizzlas.

Thanks.

Am willing to try the local stuff at that price.

Do you know how I should ask for it (what do I say, in phonetic English-Thai?).

thumbsup.gif

I only ever saw Drum before but have seen Golden Viginia in 7/11 stores recently which I smoke in the UK. But 20 LM for ฿69, only roll my own in UK.

It was too busy to ask the price, was bringing 5 pouches back to the UK & wanted to see the difference to duty free.

฿700 for 5 pouches at Suvarnabhumi.

I think the last time I bought a pouch at 7/11 was about the ฿350 mark.

If you use filters take your own, nowhere to be found that I know of.

I will be no way liable for any cancers or smoking related illnesses suffered with above information and the legal president of Jog On will be upheld.

• Like 2

Try "Yar- soop" ยาสูบ should work, I use to smoke ,the firt time I tryd a Yar soop, on a farm ,to say it make me cough is an understatment, it is strong, try black cat ,meow dum in Thai ,5 bart a packet any Thai shop.

Ya soop will be easily understood, different brands available from anywhere from 5-20 baht per pack.

Miaew dam will be undserstood, Black Cat.

Sorry for being a t(a)wat, its one of the problems of trying to Romanize the Thai language.

At the prices being charged, but 3 or 4 different packets, if you dont like it, give it to the Thai security guards to smoke.

Cant comment on it, dont smoke it, its only what I see the locals buying on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I only ever saw Drum before but have seen Golden Viginia in 7/11 stores recently which I smoke in the UK. But 20 LM for ฿69, only roll my own in UK.

It was too busy to ask the price, was bringing 5 pouches back to the UK & wanted to see the difference to duty free.

I will be no way liable for any cancers or smoking related illnesses suffered with above information and the legal president of Jog On will be upheld.

I was in a bar in Pattaya earlier this year, there was a Brit rolling up some GV, I couldnt believe me when he told me a 50 g pouch is now 18 quid in the UK.

As you say, a 50 g pouch can be had here for 7 quid.

Filters can be had, the whisky shop at Home Fresh Mart in The Mall Bang Kapi, I believe Foodland on soi 5 Bkk sells them.

Be aware of using your own "roach" or a bit of rolled up Rizzla packet, the police may descend on you.

• Like 2

I was in a bar in Pattaya earlier this year, there was a Brit rolling up some GV, I couldnt believe me when he told me a 50 g pouch is now 18 quid in the UK.

As you say, a 50 g pouch can be had here for 7 quid.

Filters can be had, the whisky shop at Home Fresh Mart in The Mall Bang Kapi, I believe Foodland on soi 5 Bkk sells them.

Be aware of using your own "roach" or a bit of rolled up Rizzla packet, the police may descend on you.

GV about £18 & 20's about £8 a pack.

5 pouches from swampy does me for the length of time I'm in UK, but would break my heart to pay prices here for bully.

Never seen filters in all time in Thailand & did look for them at one point, but big country so couldn't rule it out.

Had a moment with a monk on coach from Trat to BK, rolled him a GV & he rolled me his Chinese crap.

He was the more happier...

• Like 1

Try "Yar- soop" ยาสูบ should work, I use to smoke ,the firt time I tryd a Yar soop, on a farm ,to say it make me cough is an understatment, it is strong, try black cat ,meow dum in Thai ,5 bart a packet any Thai shop.

+1

Also try the Black Cat Menthol... 20 baht for a 1 oz. plastic can.

I smoke a pipe myself and usually bring premium pipe tobacco with me when I return from trips to Farangland, but when I run out I'll smoke the Black Cat Menthol.

Incidentally, "Yah-soop" is closer phonetically than "Yar-soop"post-142044-0-42102000-1410623332_thumb.

• Like 1

Yes GV is quite common in 'proper' baccy shops, 300-400 baht depending where. Was closer to 200 until tax was hoicked. Filters usually 40 baht for 100 and you can get slimline ones. Rizzla included in pouch. Ironically GV is only cheap when flying out of Thai.

Avoid that local red/black cat stuff, it's like tar and will blacken your fingers in no time. Shudder to think what it does to innards.

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

Will deffo give the local stuff a try but will probably end up back on what I'm used to. I can buy 10 x 50g packs of GV at my airport's Duty Free for £46 (around 2300 BHt) so = £4.60 a pack. i might just do that and save myself any aggravation of having to search it out.

Am grateful for the advice re filters (I use Swan Ultra-Slim) and will bring my own papers, too (Rizzla small blue).thumbsup.gif

As for stained fingers, I buy a pack of Bic ballpoints, empty them and cut the tubes down into 5 equal lengths. Instant, cheap and disposable, ciggie holders which protect my fingers and actually make the rollies taste better cuz of a cleaner draw and I never get a moist filter.

I dispose of them, rather than bother to clean them after about 10 ciggies, or so.

Am thinking of obtaining me a patent.laugh.png

Edited by Duggsie
  • Like 1

Those whiskyshops in the malls have a huge collection of Rizzla papers but they are all those big ones, Amsterdam style. I still wonder what the Thai do with those. I've never seen a Thai smoking them.

Heh! Yes, it's the same here in Greece. King-size Rizlas are available in just about every shop that sells cigarettes and tobacco (and not only Rizla red and blue, but also some other brands, too), yet in the years I've been here, I've never seen anyone use them for rolling a cigarette. Hmmm...

Definitely much better to bring your own filter tips with you. Compared to the £ shops in the UK (500 filter tips for £1), Thai filter prices are expensive. The same applies to ciggy papers. Very little bulk or weight in those two products either. Add to that the problem of getting good quality filter tips and papers in Thailand. Thai ciggy papers have no gum and the paper is quite thick.

Plenty of places in Pattaya to buy GV and Drum, amongst others. The shop on the corner of Pattaya Klang and 2nd road always seem to have a good selection though not cheap.

I buy my supplies in the middle east going and coming back. At a little over a £1 a pack it is the cheapest option.

• 1 month later...