Once You're Employed, Spoken Agreements Have No More Meaning...

lostinisaan

whistling.gif My mother, now deceased, taught for many years in the U.S.

Let me tell what teachers there MUST do.

As a teacher you are required to be Red Cross certified in case one of the student gets hurt or has a seizure.

You need to pay for that course yourself

There is "playground monitor" duties assigned to you, which means two or three times a month you need to spend at least three hours or until the school playground closes down watching the children play.

There are "parent consultation" nights when you have to be in school available until 7:30 or 8:30 in case a parent comes in to talk about his or her child and there schoolwork,

Quite often once a week, but nobody ever shows up.

The state (depending on which state you work in, different requirements apply) needs you to keep your "teachers certificate" current, usually by taking seminars during the "summer break" to learn the most modern teaching methods.

At your expense of course.

And of course their are those that are told to be "sports monitors" for afterschool "sports" activities.

Almost none of this extra activity is paid for.

There are such activities as Chess Club, Science Club, Future Farmers of America (I'm not making that up),French and Spanish language clubs, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot "detention" for those sent there for some infraction in school. Must be monitored by a teacher of course.

Oh, and the school she taught in required that as a teacher she had to be there at least one hour before the students arrived and must be there at least an hour after school day ended, EVERY day.

Exactly what were you complaining about now ?

rolleyes.gif

Great information, indeed. but I assume that you'll know all that before you sign such a contract, right? But I do feel much better now....facepalm.gif

• Like 2

I don't think that anyone is trying to minimize the responsibilities of a teacher. That are 'in loco parentis' and the responsibilities are enormous. But we do not necessarily do things that enhance the education of the school or provide safety. We are paraded out and showcased and then put back in our 'place.' Let me give you some examples:

Our teachers have to attend morning assembly -- not a problem. We were told to stand behind our classes. Then one day we were all unceremoniously shuffled to the front of our classes. We were to face the class, then no, we should turn and face the flag. We were told what to wear and if you had on the wrong color shirt, it was a 50 baht deduction. If you roll up your leaves, you are reprimanded in front of the class.

Our teachers are also required to March with the students and to perform the dance of the month. Again at the capricious spot where they decide we should be standing only to be reprimanded because they changed their mind.

Teachers are not allowed to sit down in the classroom -- for the homeroom teacher that means standing all day and checking the books while standing or leaning over a desk. They are then criticized because the ticking is not neat enough.

So, would I take a first aide class--most certainly (actually I have but I am no longer certified). NO ONE at our school is certified in first aide. Would I stay until the last student is picked up by his parents, reluctantly, but yes. It's what you do when you care about their safety and welfare. Should I stay 1 hour after the last student has left because someone has arbitrarily decided that I should; I think not.

Oh, and when these precious holidays come around that are the big reward for being a teacher, they get shorter by the year. Now it's a matter of a week and 1/2 in October and teachers are expected to take turns coming in on specific days for testing of new students.

It's not the things that go toward the needs/care/education of the students. It's the temperamental and fickle nature of the administration that makes the job less-than-satisfying at times.

It's quite frustrating to read your post. Teachers are not allowed to sit down sounds insane to me.

You're absolutely right that the October holidays are getting shorter and shorter.

I always had a full month off. This year I can call myself lucky, when I've got two weeks off. But there's a high possibility that a seminar, or an English camp will destroy any holiday plans......

They don't reimburse me for visa and work permit, as they did for our Filipino, because I make more money?

Now it's not about how much money somebody's making, it's a principle. Yes, or no. Nothing in between.

There's a school in Sisaket, where they totally skipped the October holiday, as a new director took over and made such a decision.

I personally don't have a problem to keep the computer and printer running, as computers and technology is my hobby, so I'm not pissed off about it.

They're asking me what materials I'd need. I wrote a list, starting from markers to copy paper. That was three moons ago. The only way to do my job in a way that I'm successful is to buy my own utensils...

Oh and the newest decision was made yesterday. My Thai co- teacher has to stay there all day long, because somebody complained about the kids that they're too loud, when I'm alone.

Our art teacher doesn't give a flying one, shows up 15 minutes late and leaves 10 minutes early. Kids are running around, but he doesn't seem to care.

Would they say something to him? Of course not.

Our office is right next to the only EP classroom, with two air conditioning units. .Now they'd put a wall in and separated me from the refreshing air.....

I do not go to the flag ceremony anymore, nor do i pray. Before I always had somebody from the school, who made photocopies for me. Now I'm fighting with old machines, which are mostly not working.

There's no way to converse with the science and math teacher, to make sure that they learn their topics first in Thai, then in English.

They greet you, but you know that their smile is fake. Our two computer teachers don't even have an Anti- Virus system on their own machines.

I had a dream..........facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Don't forget also, that teachers back home are probably getting about triple an ESLers salary here, more paid vacation time, some of those classes you take are paid for by district or school funds, a better pension (oh wait, a PENSION!), better quality insurance, and often times some form of union protection for your job.

By all means though, please compare the job duties of an ESL teacher in Thailand to a teacher back home.

• Like 2

Don't forget also, that teachers back home are probably getting about triple an ESLers salary here, more paid vacation time, some of those classes you take are paid for by district or school funds, a better pension (oh wait, a PENSION!), better quality insurance, and often times some form of union protection for your job.

By all means though, please compare the job duties of an ESL teacher in Thailand to a teacher back home.

I do not think it's a great idea to take the States as an example to compare Thailand with. Just thinking about my own uncle is an eye opener.

He taught English for 25 years at a high school in Germany, then became the principal, and retired when he was 53 with a full State pension.

He receives 136,000 baht/month now., considering the exchange rate that went down the hill. Not even mentioning the health care system.

Edited by lostinisaan

If its all too much then just tell them that all the crap is too much work for too little pay and if they cannot sort it out in two weeks, you are gone. Give them two weeks, on paper then and there.

I see a flipside. Teachers waffling out of everything possible. Show as late as possible, leave as early as possible. Zero school participation unless forced, and then its just moping about and excuses to be even more late.

If you don't like the terms you signed, do us all a favor snd leave. Thank you.

• Like 2

Eh I'll be the first to admit I don't work as hard as I would back home were I using my teaching license there. Honestly all my colleagues and cohort mates tell me stories about 50 - 60 hour weeks. Yes, the benefits are better and certainly it's probably got an element more of stability (and even that is debatable). Nevertheless, part of the reason I wanted to do ESL a bit longer overseas was to try to teach without doing all the extra minutia that makes the job go from 8 hours a day to 12 hours a day. And, just to highlight, this is all year-to-year contract work here. Again, what's the point of busting my ass day and night in that case?

If a school expects me to work my nuts off in a way that teachers do back home, then I fully expect to be taken care of in a similiar fasion to back home. If that's not the case, well certainly thank you for your time but I'll look elsewhere. One of my goals in being here was to have a better work / life balance.

If schools are asking too much of one's time outside of school here, then piss on it and move on. Plenty of other places to get a teaching gig at I reckon.

I think inevitabitly if schools continue to pile the workload on then it's very relevant to compare the hours and position back home. As for me, I do my work on-site, do my marking on site. Anything not done is left for the next work day.

I think Mencken is missing a vital point though, it seems that hte bigger issue here is that people keep getting handed more and more duties and work after signing the contract. That is to say, people did NOT sign up for the terms that are now being dictated.

• Like 2

Our teachers have to attend morning assembly -- not a problem. We were told to stand behind our classes. Then one day we were all unceremoniously shuffled to the front of our classes. We were to face the class, then no, we should turn and face the flag. We were told what to wear and if you had on the wrong color shirt, it was a 50 baht deduction. If you roll up your leaves, you are reprimanded in front of the class.

Our teachers are also required to March with the students and to perform the dance of the month. Again at the capricious spot where they decide we should be standing only to be reprimanded because they changed their mind.

Teachers are not allowed to sit down in the classroom -- for the homeroom teacher that means standing all day and checking the books while standing or leaning over a desk. They are then criticized because the ticking is not neat enough.

Sounds like a social re-adjustment camp

I've been in some crappy situations, but I would never put up with that for long

though I would do the right thing by the school and provide a replacement rolleyes.gif

post-80695-0-71475300-1410692484.png

its quite often a sad situation the students for the most part are wonderful, and the un tapped talent pool huge, but in the end looking after no 1 is the only way to survive

Edited by kaorop
  • Like 2

I would not stay at a school that has such insane rules as not sitting. I also would never work for less than 30k as there are way too many jobs available. They push as long as you backup. Make demands, if they are not met, leave.

You can bet your butt the Thai teachers are sitting during lessons! Not being able to sit down in the class is insane. 80% of my time I'll be around the room, but sometimes I'll be sitting doing some marking while the students are working.

As an aside, is anyone also asked the rule to do 20 hours of seminars a year? Actually I think this is a rule for the school, and not the teachers per se. There was talk this rule will change to be 100 hoursw00t.gif Yes that's 4 weeks of seminars per year, full time. Or is this just for private schools?

I don't mind working hard, but it should be for the benefit of students. Not just mindless admin paperwork.

• Like 1

Let's just face it, all the Thais could not care less. There is no way you could convince me otherwise. If you have a student behaving outrageously, you can't even send him to a disciplinary. Why, because no Thai teacher wants to deal with him. The entire education system is a mockery. Farang so should just walk into the classroom, teach, walk out and get the paycheck. That's the end.... There really is nothing more to it because the Thais don't even care themselves.

• Like 2

I don't sit down in class. I think standing is good excercise. How can you teach conversational English sitting down in Thailand? Not like we are all sitting politely in a circle having a lovely chat. Constantly having to reprimand kids for tslking and electronics. Should not be a rule against it but it us and looks just plain lazy. Teachers would def be on my shix list if I saw them sitting about. Diuble especially if they were not being super active when sitting.

Strong, healthy people should have no problems standing 4-5 hours a day, especially in ac.

I'm not missing any point. ESL employers are shifty the world over. You should expect to work nearly maximum hours which might indeed be 20pw plus an addl hour a day is possible. Gate duty is part of the deal. Where I'm not missing the point is - if it is not working for you in this or any other job, leave. Yes, I do understand how schools and agencies might try to stretch your hours. If nothing else, do your year and leave.

Expect that the job you signed on for is 40 hours. Period. If you are worked more than forty hours, time for a new job. Some of you guys making base pay, especially in this teacher crunch.

I find most teachers here quite lazy and I'm not trying to stir a pot. You go thru agencies, don't check the contract, explore your options, be willing to move if not married and in general take the path of least resistence.

Over course, we all have a need to slip out a bit early now and then but I have zero empathy for anyone that is not at school till 4pm. 8am till 4, that is the deal.

I've noticed the people that really make an effort to cut out as early as possible are the ones that are looking to always game the system. Something for nothing crowd which is massive in Thailand. No reason why shouldn't extend to teaching I guess.

I don't sit down in class. I think standing is good excercise. How can you teach conversational English sitting down in Thailand? Not like we are all sitting politely in a circle having a lovely chat. Constantly having to reprimand kids for tslking and electronics. Should not be a rule against it but it us and looks just plain lazy. Teachers would def be on my shix list if I saw them sitting about. Diuble especially if they were not being super active when sitting.

Strong, healthy people should have no problems standing 4-5 hours a day, especially in ac.

I'm not missing any point. ESL employers are shifty the world over. You should expect to work nearly maximum hours which might indeed be 20pw plus an addl hour a day is possible. Gate duty is part of the deal. Where I'm not missing the point is - if it is not working for you in this or any other job, leave. Yes, I do understand how schools and agencies might try to stretch your hours. If nothing else, do your year and leave.

Expect that the job you signed on for is 40 hours. Period. If you are worked more than forty hours, time for a new job. Some of you guys making base pay, especially in this teacher crunch.

I find most teachers here quite lazy and I'm not trying to stir a pot. You go thru agencies, don't check the contract, explore your options, be willing to move if not married and in general take the path of least resistence.

Over course, we all have a need to slip out a bit early now and then but I have zero empathy for anyone that is not at school till 4pm. 8am till 4, that is the deal.

I've noticed the people that really make an effort to cut out as early as possible are the ones that are looking to always game the system. Something for nothing crowd which is massive in Thailand. No reason why shouldn't extend to teaching I guess.

If you're not allowed to sit down, you've signed a contract as a clown.By the way, it wasn't just about conversational English.-facepalm.gif

I am not talking about not being allowed to sit down while teaching. I am talking about Thai teachers not being allowed to sit down at all. They are to stand up and check their books. When a foreign teacher is teaching, they cannot sit down.

Part of the problem in Thailand is the endless minutia about things like this. If you are a good teacher you will behave in a manner that suits teaching effectively. If you are a bad teacher, standing or sitting makes little difference.

• Like 1

Eh Mencken does make a little bit of a point. If your job is teaching conversational English I think there's a bit of an expectation that you're always up and talking, circulating, etc. Obviously in a perfect world teachers would only be marking during their prep times but I don't see that there's anything with doing so if students are busily working on a task. Just be sure that everyone's working and that they've understood the instructions.

Part of me wants to say that if the boss walks by it always looks better if you're up and performing, but there's also something to be said if you can keep your classroom managed while still able to get some of your paperwork done =)

I am not talking about not being allowed to sit down while teaching. I am talking about Thai teachers not being allowed to sit down at all. They are to stand up and check their books. When a foreign teacher is teaching, they cannot sit down.

Part of the problem in Thailand is the endless minutia about things like this. If you are a good teacher you will behave in a manner that suits teaching effectively. If you are a bad teacher, standing or sitting makes little difference.

I really love your last sentence a lot. It makes no difference, because you'll be soon fired, after you're hired.-facepalm.gif .

• Like 1

As a teacher you are required to be Red Cross certified in case one of the student gets hurt or has a seizure.

There is "playground monitor" duties assigned to you, which means two or three times a month you need to spend at least three hours or until the school playground closes down watching the children play.

There are "parent consultation" nights when you have to be in school available until 7:30 or 8:30 in case a parent comes in to talk about his or her child and there schoolwork,

The state (depending on which state you work in, different requirements apply) needs you to keep your "teachers certificate" current, usually by taking seminars during the "summer break" to learn the most modern teaching methods.

And of course their are those that are told to be "sports monitors" for afterschool "sports" activities.

There are such activities as Chess Club, Science Club, Future Farmers of America (I'm not making that up),French and Spanish language clubs, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot "detention" for those sent there for some infraction in school. Must be monitored by a teacher of course.

Oh, and the school she taught in required that as a teacher she had to be there at least one hour before the students arrived and must be there at least an hour after school day ended, EVERY day.

rolleyes.gif

Great information, indeed. but I assume that you'll know all that before you sign such a contract, right? But I do feel much better now....facepalm.gif

What's your level of professional satisfaction or dissatisfaction?

We just bought a fancy large screen Sony TV costing likely up to 3 x my monthly salary. Now Thai shows are on most of the time... The BBC, Bloomberg or some English speaking channel like channel News Asia would actually help the Thai teachers. Yes, we are set up for these channels. No, they don't want to be exposed to proper English.

"Not in the budget" has been the excuse when the teachers' toilet was stopped up. A stinking mess for days and days. Some classrooms need some inexpensive part or a bulb for the projector or something. But these schools are not putting the students first, then working backwards.

@Lostin Isaan - what will you do now? Change jobs after the October salary was paid?

BTW, I've been suckered by being given something to sign in Thai which turned out to be the contract. No copies for me, ever (of course).

Be careful guys and don't sign anything you can't read or had a friend vetted first...

Eh Mencken does make a little bit of a point. If your job is teaching conversational English I think there's a bit of an expectation that you're always up and talking, circulating, etc. Obviously in a perfect world teachers would only be marking during their prep times but I don't see that there's anything with doing so if students are busily working on a task. Just be sure that everyone's working and that they've understood the instructions.

Part of me wants to say that if the boss walks by it always looks better if you're up and performing, but there's also something to be said if you can keep your classroom managed while still able to get some of your paperwork done =)

After an observation at a government school (where some students had neither a chair nor a desk to write on), I was chewed out for "not having had the students clean the classroom first". so the Thai HoD would have loved to junk a lesson - but let's have the classroom look nice (until the next horde comes in and starts littering like crazy).

As for walking around, that was something I was reprimanded for by another HoD.

While during some induction course, that was what the South African trainer urged us to do.

If I could have Thais do one thing, I would ask them to please say what you mean and mean what you say!

rolleyes.gif

What's your level of professional satisfaction or dissatisfaction?

We just bought a fancy large screen Sony TV costing likely up to 3 x my monthly salary. Now Thai shows are on most of the time... The BBC, Bloomberg or some English speaking channel like channel News Asia would actually help the Thai teachers. Yes, we are set up for these channels. No, they don't want to be exposed to proper English.

"Not in the budget" has been the excuse when the teachers' toilet was stopped up. A stinking mess for days and days. Some classrooms need some inexpensive part or a bulb for the projector or something. But these schools are not putting the students first, then working backwards.

@Lostin Isaan - what will you do now? Change jobs after the October salary was paid?

BTW, I've been suckered by being given something to sign in Thai which turned out to be the contract. No copies for me, ever (of course).

Be careful guys and don't sign anything you can't read or had a friend vetted first...

I won't give up that easy. Trying to do it the "Thai way." Pointing things out, that it seems the ideas came from them. If that doesn't work, well, then it's time to look for another job.

I can only put up with that crap, because I'm doing that for so long.

But I'll never start to lick their asses to keep a job.You know, the "Ajarn up, and Ajarn down" stuff.... facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I've often wondered about this. I've seen countless Thai teachers sit down and do "their personal things" like texting. while assistant teachers often don't even show up (why bother with advance notice?) or when they show up, walk out to make private phone calls etc.

Just saying.

Well to be fair anything a Thai instructor does is probably wrong, so just do the opposite. This goes double for anything being told to you by a Thai HoD.

Same goes when they tell you, that you're an excellent teacher, but.................facepalm.gif

Pretty much, though I'll say I never get accused of that. May have to do with my refusal to Mickey Mouse my classroom.

• Like 1