bringing foriegn currency into Thailand

When I am ever back in AU and then return to Thailand I bring back about 15k. The limit is 10k. On declaration form I tick YES to taking more than the 10k out of AU. I have NEVER been asked how much etc.

Has anyone had a bad experience. I want to bring back 20k in couple of weeks. Is this crazy. Has anyone done this before and maybe been pulled up. What do they do with excess amount if they ain't happy.

I am confused about the thread title vs. the text.

Title: "bringing ... into Thailand":

up to the equiv of 20'000 USD can be brought into Thailand without declaration.

Topic text: "taking out of Australia" is not for me.

But in my last country you gave the declaration and thats it.

It will routinely be forwarded to revenue departement or other offices (?).

Guess for Australia:

If the money is yours, is from legal business/work and taxed, there is nothing to worry about.

Its all about money laundring, tax evasion.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Yes Ben....I'm confused also now. As far as I know I have never had to declare anything related to money on the Thai arrival card.

I'm referring to the departure card from AU. We have a limit of 10k. Yes the money is mine and I pay taxes. I guess I'm wondering how much I can take out without causing issues.

With online banking and the ease of shifting currencies by wire, it boggles my mind when people still risk the old fashioned route... to what, save 5 bucks, no account, don't trust banks? Sincerely hope you don't get mugged between Swampy and your digs. ;)

Hardly $5. If I bring in $20k au fact is I get one baht per $ better than through banks. I have a bank account here. So that 20k baht straight up. Then there is the transfer fees from banks. Will be about another 1200baht.

As for ATMS everyone refers to the 180 baht per transaction. There there is 150 at the AU end. Also again an exchange rate about one baht less per dollar. This all aint 5 bucks.

• Like 1

You are right to bring it cash, don't let the banks cheat you. I can only get 11000 baht out of the atm these days (since 2 years,it always was 20k per transaction) and now pay 180 per transaction plus costs for my own bank (100 baht or so per transaction) and get a bad rate...

I thought we can only bring 10k us$ cash, maybe it is 20k now but i also thought we have to inform the thai customs if we bring in more cash than the max. amount. Then it is no problem if you can prove you made it legally.

I just don't see the need to pay so much for a small transaction and go back to the atm all the time. In fact i don't trust the thai atm at all and am scared for scammers. That's why they lowered the max amount an atm can give from 20k to 11k. So the banks fear atm-fraude from scammers and i pay the bill for that? I don't think so. Actually i don't understand why using atm is so expensive in Thailand. They have a problem here with farang spending money?

Yes Ben....I'm confused also now. As far as I know I have never had to declare anything related to money on the Thai arrival card.

I'm referring to the departure card from AU. We have a limit of 10k. Yes the money is mine and I pay taxes. I guess I'm wondering how much I can take out without causing issues.

If the money is all Kosher why not use a bank like most people!

You are right to bring it cash, don't let the banks cheat you. I can only get 11000 baht out of the atm these days (since 2 years,it always was 20k per transaction) and now pay 180 per transaction plus costs for my own bank (100 baht or so per transaction) and get a bad rate...

I thought we can only bring 10k us$ cash, maybe it is 20k now but i also thought we have to inform the thai customs if we bring in more cash than the max. amount. Then it is no problem if you can prove you made it legally.

I just don't see the need to pay so much for a small transaction and go back to the atm all the time. In fact i don't trust the thai atm at all and am scared for scammers. That's why they lowered the max amount an atm can give from 20k to 11k. So the banks fear atm-fraude from scammers and i pay the bill for that? I don't think so. Actually i don't understand why using atm is so expensive in Thailand. They have a problem here with farang spending money?

Maybe open an account with another bank. To save a few hundred Baht in transaction costs as opposed to the risk associated with having USD20,000 to me is a no brainer especially as most homes here do not have burglar alarms. If you want a higher ATM limit ask your bank or open an account with a different bank offering higher ATM limits.

If you want to carry cash equivalent to more than 20,000 USD then it should be declared at Thai Customs.

The form you get will also help if you ever want to send that money out of the country at a later date. If you do not declare it and are caught they could possibly confiscate it and/or charge you with smuggling. (not saying it would get that heavy, but it might)

Info at http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/traders+and+business/prohibited+and+restricted+items/currency/currency

With online banking and the ease of shifting currencies by wire, it boggles my mind when people still risk the old fashioned route... to what, save 5 bucks, no account, don't trust banks? Sincerely hope you don't get mugged between Swampy and your digs. wink.png

Hardly $5. If I bring in $20k au fact is I get one baht per $ better than through banks. I have a bank account here. So that 20k baht straight up. Then there is the transfer fees from banks. Will be about another 1200baht.

As for ATMS everyone refers to the 180 baht per transaction. There there is 150 at the AU end. Also again an exchange rate about one baht less per dollar. This all aint 5 bucks.

tell me how you get 1bht.more than the telex trans.rate.and if what you say is true then who is it.there's a few on here would like to know also.

Absolutely no problem bringing any amount of cash into a foreign country. You just need to declare anything over $10,000. They fill out a form, and that is it. It is your money, and as long as you are not bringing it in to buy drugs, no problem. Bringing in a lot cash happens daily.

Just TT the money if you need to keep it in AUD open a foreign currency account in Thailand.

and as i understand it you dont need to fill out a foreign currency decloration form if it is paid into an fcd account in thailand

It's best to keep the transfers under 50k USD because Thailand is on the International Money Laundering List but I've never had to fill out any forms just put Family Support as the reason for transfer.