Can I drink before blood work?

Issangeorge

you'll get the usual instructions about not eating the 12 hrs before i.e. from midnight, but will always get the instruction to keep taking water...

if no water taken through all that ie 12 hrs prior - your blood sugar reading may show erroneously high levels - leading to misdiagnosis etc if you haven't briefed them about having not had any water

Edited by tifino

Actually you normally get instructed not to eat or drink anything (and if you ask that includes water) here in Thailand. Guess that is the easy answer. Perhaps the thinking is if we exempt water a whisky/water should be fine as mostly water in patients mind?

you'll get the usual instructions about not eating the 12 hrs before i.e. from midnight, but will always get the instruction to keep taking water...

if no water taken through all that ie 12 hrs prior - your blood sugar reading may show erroneously high levels - leading to misdiagnosis etc if you haven't briefed them about having not had any water

Interesting, about the blood sugar levels, I had a blood test a few years ago and I followed the Thai rules of no drinking or eating, and my Blood Sugar was very high, it has never been even close to that since. The results I got on Google all said I could drink water and even encouraged it, but in Thailand they say not too, I wonder why?
  • Like 1

hey!! maybe we have uncovered there's a misconception amongst medical circles that there are lots of potential diabetics in Thailand, malaysia etc

they'd sure make more money if more people think they are suffering, needing extensive treatment...

...another form of corruption for the Junta to expel

When I went for mine got the usual instruction dont eat drink after midnite, asked about water and they said thats fine just dont drink loads of it.

Maybe they tell don't drink, because if they tell drinking water is OK, one half drink a bottle coke before and the other half drink 5 beer the evening before......

If you don't have an aircondition and be active in the heat for 12 hours it will dehydrate you pretty well....If you go to the lab because you have already a kidney problem than this won't make it better....

Apart from the health packages at bhumrungrad.

Is there any where else in BKK for general blood tests.

And also I want to check for any deficiency.

Cholesterol and diabetes.

I can speak Thai. And go to any local doctor.

However with my health and business I prefer English.

• 2 months later...

I've had blood work done at 2 different hospitals in Chiang Mai, and in both cases the doctors had advised me to not drink any water for at least 8 hours before the blood tests. I'd never heard that in all the years I'd had blood tests in the States.

Checking with Google I find that by far most of the medical advice websites say that water is fine, in fact, even desirable and necessary for a proper test result.

Last year I even mentioned this to the doctor, and he poo-pooed that information, insisting that all over Thailand, all hospitals and clinics say "no water" before blood tests. The Mayo Clinic and other medical centers are wrong, in his estimation.

I think otherwise, and will continue follow the advice of the Western doctors, and drink lots of water up to an hour before the blood work.

From one website:

Drink Water

Many people believe they should avoid water before a blood draw, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Drinking water will not only make you feel better if you’re fasting, it will also make for a smoother blood draw. Blood is about 50 percent water, so the more water you drink, the plumper your veins become and the easier it is for the phlebotomist–the technician trained to draw your blood–to locate your veins and remove blood.

Urine tests are frequently ordered along with blood tests, and the fuller your bladder, the easier it will be for you to provide a sample. (Note: The urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea requires that you not urinate for one hour prior to the test.)

Tip: Get a head start on hydration. Drink extra water beginning the day before your blood draw to ensure you’re adequately hydrated the day of the draw.

Refraining from water for 8 hours before a blood test will hardly be enough to dehydrate you or cause an issue with blood draw.

However it is true that water alone will not cause any problem with tests of fasting glucose or lipids, the two types of tests for which fasting (from food) is important.

I would not advise actively pushing fluids though. Overly dilute urine can mask significant results since things like blood, bacteria, white blood cells, bilirubin etc in the urine are measured proportionate to the total urine volume. So overly dilute urine -- as will result if you aggressively drink a lot of water right before the test- could result in a normal urinalysis test result when in fact abnormal levels of blood or other things was present, but masked by dilution.

Since it is necessary to abstain from food (if glucose, cholesterol etc are being measured), such tests are usually done first thing in the morning, and normally people don't take in much water at night (which is why urine pregnancy tests etc are usually preferred to be in the morning as well -- the urine is more concentrated then and easier to detect chemicals present).

I think the best approach is to avoid extremes. If you are thirsty, or need to take medication, go ahead and drink small amount of water without concern as it will not alter blood test results as long as it is plain water. but don't consume unusually large amounts of water, just what you need.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Refraining from water for 8 hours before a blood test will hardly be enough to dehydrate you or cause an issue with blood draw.

However it is true that water alone will not cause any problem with tests of fasting glucose or lipids, the two types of tests for which fasting (from food) is important.

I would not advise actively pushing fluids though. Overly dilute urine can mask significant results since things like blood, bacteria, white blood cells, bilirubin etc in the urine are measured proportionate to the total urine volume. So overly dilute urine -- as will result if you aggressively drink a lot of water right before the test- could result in a normal urinalysis test result when in fact abnormal levels of blood or other things was present, but masked by dilution.

Since it is necessary to abstain from food (if glucose, cholesterol etc are being measured), such tests are usually done first thing in the morning, and normally people don't take in much water at night (which is why urine pregnancy tests etc are usually preferred to be in the morning as well -- the urine is more concentrated then and easier to detect chemicals present).

I think the best approach is to avoid extremes. If you are thirsty, or need to take medication, go ahead and drink small amount of water without concern as it will not alter blood test results as long as it is plain water. but don't consume unusually large amounts of water, just what you need.

I never got the idea that someone could do that, but right, if you force down 3-4 liter water you may mess up the urine test......Interesting idea.....

I've never heard of the no drinking water. In fact, a few doctors in US have told me black coffee in morning before heading off to lab is ok.

Coffee and tea are not good ideas as they affect blood glucose. (you'll get a slightly higher reading)