Asia faces 'risk of choking skies', widespread flight delays as air traffic grows

webfact

Asia faces ‘risk of choking skies’, widespread flight delays as air traffic grows

planeshalthazey1509e-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Widespread flight delays could hit Asia, including Singapore, in as little as five years if countries in the region do not act now and move as one to cope with growing flight numbers, warns the head of a leading air traffic research institute.

At worst, “catastrophic gridlock” will lead to stagnation in the number of flights in Asia because air traffic controllers cannot cope with additional flights, said MrHsin Chen Chung, who heads the Air Traffic Management Research Institute at Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

“The situation right now is barely tolerable in some pockets of the region… If we don’t do anything, my guess is that in five to 10 years, we will experience what Europe went through 15 years ago – catastrophic gridlock.”

He cited the routes from Singapore to Jakarta, Bangkok and Hong Kong; Bangkok to Hong Kong; and from Asia to Europe as examples of busy air paths that could develop into choke points.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/asia-faces-risk-choking-skies-widespread-flight-delays-air-traffic-grows/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-15

The people in these industries know their game and what needs to be done , the sad fate of a government controlled organization rests with members of parliament, committees and so forth , except Singapore who has lots of vision, no-other in this region including Australia who's airports in particular Perth are terrible, will be prepared for any congestion and will procrastinate and dither till they have to do something, by that time chaos rules coffee1.gif P.S Perth is now coming up to speed, 15 years to late the boom is over.

• Like 1

because air traffic controllers cannot cope with additional flights

Also, If you look at the out ragous seperation they make you do into Bangkok, this is a true statment, why can't these copntrollers become skilled like in USA and dare I say it Europe that can chandle much larger number in peak times.

• Like 1

"“The situation right now is barely tolerable in some pockets of the region… If we don’t do anything, my guess is that in five to 10 years, we will experience what Europe went through 15 years ago – catastrophic gridlock.”

Ever heard of lessons learned Mr. Chung? As for guessing, Drs. don't guess!! Your statement, if indeed translated correctly, is intolerable.

whistling.gif The real problem with Bangkok is that the international airport was conceived and built as a shopping mall with an airport attached.

The purpose of the airport was not travelers but shoppers arriving and departing to spending money on their in and out of the country.

The ease of access to the airport is everywhere taken from the travelers and designed not from their convenience, but designed for them to buy over priced goods on their in and out of the airport on arrival and departure.

That is why you have to walk such distances to get to and from the planes.

Greed is the term. and the operating mode.

blink.png

• Like 2

The long-announced/long-delayed expansion of Swampy needs to go ahead, in anticipation of further growth, as well as that already seen.

But the continuing expansion of LCCs flying smaller narrow-bodied jets to serve routes more-frequently is also part of the problem.

Not sure how that can be avoided, perhaps reverse the more-usual situation, and charge higher landing-fees for aircraft under 250-passengers, to maximise use of runway/ATC slots ?

• Like 1

If the shortest routes between Bangkok & Singapore or Hong Kong are approaching capacity, why not create new parallel routes, some 10-20 miles to the East/West or 2,000-feet above/below them ?

OK it would need a few more navigation-beacons, and perhaps mean flying a few extra miles, or employing more ATC-staff, but why isn't it possible to create extra capacity ? blink.png

Or is the OP merely lobbying for the budgets, to start to do this, in advance of the problem becoming critical ?

Ricardo, I disagree, it wont reqire any more nav aids, the bottle necks are at the airports, they make their own bottle necks, the amount of movements at BKK is low compared to some US airports, but you could argue that extra seperation in this part of the world may not be a bad thing w00t.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif The real problem with Bangkok is that the international airport was conceived and built as a shopping mall with an airport attached.

The purpose of the airport was not travelers but shoppers arriving and departing to spending money on their in and out of the country.

The ease of access to the airport is everywhere taken from the travelers and designed not from their convenience, but designed for them to buy over priced goods on their in and out of the airport on arrival and departure.

That is why you have to walk such distances to get to and from the planes.

Greed is the term. and the operating mode.

blink.png

Now just ask yourself who pocket the money the shopkeeper has to pay? That flows somewhere into the uniformed channel, I never buy anything at an airport since this places are only designed to milk the people. But they also found a way to squeeze the traveler, they just increase the airport charges. Just look at the airport fees most are more than the flight price itself, you know why? Milk the farang for the meantime when you have some time what is the way out not to be the victim of some looters try this I found here:

http://www.thailandmagic.com/search/label/thailand-bus-travel

Since most pax here are locals they cant increase beyond certain levels.

I have an App on my phone will shows all the flights in real time, a few friends have this app too, its readily available.

The Skies over Europe are significantly busier than over Asia when looking at the density of airborne aircraft alone. What did Europe do to solve the situation? the authorities really need not look much further to find an answer.

I would have thought that additional corridors are readily available beyond those specified for the military (I'm guessing).

Is this more related to the airport handling capacities of the Major Asian Airports (Bangkok, KL, Singapore) compared to Europe's Heathrow, Schipol and Charles De Gaulle ?

because air traffic controllers cannot cope with additional flights

Also, If you look at the out ragous seperation they make you do into Bangkok, this is a true statment, why can't these copntrollers become skilled like in USA and dare I say it Europe that can chandle much larger number in peak times.

Do you have a death wish ?

If the shortest routes between Bangkok & Singapore or Hong Kong are approaching capacity, why not create new parallel routes, some 10-20 miles to the East/West or 2,000-feet above/below them ?

OK it would need a few more navigation-beacons, and perhaps mean flying a few extra miles, or employing more ATC-staff, but why isn't it possible to create extra capacity ? blink.png

Or is the OP merely lobbying for the budgets, to start to do this, in advance of the problem becoming critical ?

It's called landing and take off slots.