Lawn And Garden

NanLaew

We have about 60 - 65 sq m of yard all around the house that needs turfed so I am looking for some guidelines on pricing as well as type of grass. The house has rain guttering all around and the yard is well drained so no obvious wet spots. Also, it is a north-facing, single floor villa with standard walls and railings so there are no areas where there's too much or too little sun throughout the average day. I had the yard filled last week so no low spots either. I prefer a small-bladed and dense grass rather than the broad-leaf type that may be more common but will take advice on maintenance and upkeep versus cost of the varieties. I have two small dogs to 'litter' the yard as well as a large tortoise.

Recommendations are sought on any particular local garden center that has good quality sod, delivers and installs. I heard that some of the places further down Sukhumvit towards Bang Saray are quite good. I have a yard lady (provided the yard fill last week) who says she can provide the labour if I provide the turf but if anyone can recommend a 'full-serve' type, it may be a better deal.

We are on the dark side, a couple of kilometers northwest of Mabrachan in Nongplalai.

Thanks!

NL

Edited by NanLaew

I'm no expert, but we had our yard initially done with grass that does good in the sun. Well....apparently not enough sun for some spots as it just quit growing. So we now have the broad leaf grass in the shady spots, and it seems to be doing well. But it has "runners" and gets into parts of the landscape that's not appropriate. So a constant struggle to keep up with it.

I've seen lots of places in the dark side that have sod. I'd recommend that weekend garden market across from BPH. Seem to have pretty good prices there.

Good luck!

We have Malaysian grass which is well suited for tropical conditions we have here.

Try to find the picture I posted in do it yourself topic: How to grow grass. Heaps of info in there.

I think we paid 12k baht for 100M2 lawn and they did it all, took out the old lawn, brought the new grass and fitted it.

We got one quote for 8K baht first but then he re-calculated the size of the lawn, so yours should be around 8k baht, without you lifting a finger.

We still have traces of the old grass still coming up but not so much that I am worried about it.

We have Malaysian grass which is well suited for tropical conditions we have here.

Try to find the picture I posted in do it yourself topic: How to grow grass. Heaps of info in there.

I think we paid 12k baht for 100M2 lawn and they did it all, took out the old lawn, brought the new grass and fitted it.

We got one quote for 8K baht first but then he re-calculated the size of the lawn, so yours should be around 8k baht, without you lifting a finger.

We still have traces of the old grass still coming up but not so much that I am worried about it.

Thanks for that link to a very good thread. I already did some quick and dirty math based on the prices my 'land lady' had mentioned and came up with about 7500 baht for the turf without labour so prices look comparable.

Hedges next!

If you have plenty of sun, go with Yah Yapan (Japanese grass). This is the dense, single-bladed grass that you like.

If you don't have sun all day, or have a lot of shade, you need Yah Malay (Malaysian grass). This is the only grass that will survive shady conditions. It puts out runners to propagate.