Living in BKK for a year on 8 grand?

ev1lchris

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget it.

I spend 8000 a night in Bangkok not including hotels. Your budget is 3 months max comfortably. You dont wanna be uncomfortable in Bangkok ever.

Keep saving mate. A years a long time

How do you manage to spend 8000 a night? I take it you are a tourist anyway, the OP will living here not holidaying.

Forget it.

I spend 8000 a night in Bangkok not including hotels. Your budget is 3 months max comfortably. You dont wanna be uncomfortable in Bangkok ever.

How do you manage to spend 8000 a night? I take it you are a tourist anyway, the OP will living here not holidaying.

Easily done. Depends what you eat, drink and where. I got invited to a dinner once up in the Lebua tower. Valentine day dinner, for 2 people, 80,000baht, plus drinks. I quickly passed on that one, but spending money is easily done in a city like Bangkok. Few rounds of cocktails in Lebua will hit 8000 easily.

What difference does being a tourist or not have to do with anything?? I know locals who spend much more than 8k on a good night out in Bkk.

Forget it.

8k on a night out in Bangkok is easily done, and that doesn't mean going to places like Cowboy or Nana.

• Like 1

When i go to Bangkok for the day i would normally spend about 350 baht That includes transport from Pattaya to Bangkok (there and back ) my food and drinks and my 30 baht to rent a bicycle to " cruise " around Rot Fai park for the afternoon and have a rather enjoyable day out.......

F.J wub.png x

For all those people saying 8k will last a few months, do you spend all your money on sex or something?

With a budget of $8k for even 3 months wouldn't buy you any sex, other than street meat. A relatively basic furnished apartment in central Bangkok is $1500 a month and chances are it won't even be serviced. You can get cheaper but I don't want to live in a slum. So you're left with $1100 for the month to spend, 35,000 baht let's say, which is nothing if you're the type who enjoys a good single malt whiskey and or half a bottle of chablis with his sea food dinner. After a trip to the gentlemans barbers, a few pints of 'boutique' craft beer and after paying your dry cleaning bill, there won't be much left for taking a decent woman on a date.

My apartment in Phrom Phong cost 10,000 baht a month. What are you talking about?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you include the cash that all expats must have in every country to be able to stand up, go to the airport and fly to your home country with in 24 hours and be able to financially sustain yourself for 2/3 months in your home country?

A lot of people tend to have family that can provide support.

Forget it.

Easily done. Depends what you eat, drink and where. I got invited to a dinner once up in the Lebua tower. Valentine day dinner, for 2 people, 80,000baht, plus drinks. I quickly passed on that one, but spending money is easily done in a city like Bangkok. Few rounds of cocktails in Lebua will hit 8000 easily.

What difference does being a tourist or not have to do with anything?? I know locals who spend much more than 8k on a good night out in Bkk.

I think teatree took issue with your claim because he took it to mean that you spend "8000 a night" as in EVERY night.

For all those people saying 8k will last a few months, do you spend all your money on sex or something?

With a budget of $8k for even 3 months wouldn't buy you any sex, other than street meat. A relatively basic furnished apartment in central Bangkok is $1500 a month and chances are it won't even be serviced. You can get cheaper but I don't want to live in a slum. So you're left with $1100 for the month to spend, 35,000 baht let's say, which is nothing if you're the type who enjoys a good single malt whiskey and or half a bottle of chablis with his sea food dinner. After a trip to the gentlemans barbers, a few pints of 'boutique' craft beer and after paying your dry cleaning bill, there won't be much left for taking a decent woman on a date.

My apartment in Phrom Phong cost 10,000 baht a month. What are you talking about?

It's been (sort of) fun reading this thread up until now...but you apparently already live in Bangkok, OP? Then you already know if one can live on 20,000 baht/month, don't you? If so, please share with the community how you do that with a 10,000 baht/month rent payment. Thanks in advance.

Oops, I'm talking about USD.

Let's say an education visa too.

I think living on $8000 USD is totally doable.

It is doable to live off $8k USD a year but you won't have a lavish lifestyle.

I have lived on around that much on particularly cheap months when I was busy with something and didn't have as much free time to go out drinking, partying, dating etc.

My days were spent online in a coffee shop using their wifi, I was eating mostly Thai food which I enjoy more than the imitation Western crap you find in Thailand, drinking a few beers most evening, didn't have much need to take public transport anywhere but would take BTS when I did.

My apartment was 8,000B and unlike others have said it wasn't on the outskirts. It was bang in the centre of BKK in walking distance to BTS and had pool, gym, massage, restaurant, laundry service, mini market etc on site.

Bills were around 1,0000B per month but as I was out all day and most of the evening I didn't have aircon on much and got used to sleeping without it.

I'd go out for a big drinking session, partying, or dating around once a week.

A few of those months I'd go on a weekend away to the beach and had to visa runs every 30 days.

I could have saved a bit of money by buying a stove and cooking myself but I'm lazy.

Also instead of cleaning my room myself and using the washing machines in the apartment for 20B to do my laundry I paid people to do it. 170B a week for maid service and 400B for laundry so there's another couple of grand a month that could have been saved if you REALLY wanted to.

I mean drinking every night, partying once a week, weekends away means really you aren't struggling much.

You'll also want to have money for unexpected expenses....it's no good being so broke that even buying a new pair of 300B shoes is causing your weekly budget serious stress.

I have a few friends of who work in Thailand and live in 5k apartments (nothing wrong with them, one even has a pool), on the cheap only eating Thai food, keeping drinking to weekends, who live on less.

They still love living there and don't feel it's a hardship and a couple of them are always off on foreign travels as soon as they have holidays so they feel it's worth while living frugally throughout the year but if you're not living frugally now so you can do something fun later it might get a bit tiresome.

I personally would prefer not to do those sort of cheap months again if in Thailand but if needs must I could without too much hardship. Really wasn't that bad.

But if you have to pay for an education visa + course out of that makes it trickier.

I remember eating in Tony Romas place on lower Suk years ago, always used to see the TEFLr types staring in enviously as they waited for a non aircon bus to ferry them back to some scuzzy apt in Sam Rong.

Maybe they were actually just thinking "why's this guy wasting his money on overpriced Western food when Thai food is 10x cheaper and takes much better" (note: I've never heard of Tony Roma's so I've no idea if the food is good or not but most Western food in BKK is not) or "why's he hanging about in Lower Sukhumvit with lowlifes and hookers" and then going off to bang their cute Thai girlfriend / gik who they aren't paying for.

8 k will last a month IMO, if tge op is setting himself up in BKK

You're talking nonsense.

What set up costs are needed?

Rent a furnished apartment and pay 3 months rent deposit.

Nothing else is really needed.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 2

at least you don't have to worry about running into those guys, as they are all in Nana spewing money on delusions.

I believe one of the main reasons so many think it's not possible to live in Bangkok on such a budget is because they wrongly assume that everyone needs a budget for p4p.

That is probably where a huge chunk of their monthly spending goes. That or on their 'girlfriend'

To OP,

if you really going to try this, please blog your experiences and let us know all about the process of:

- Hating how hot it is all the time with no air conditioning

- Hating how grey the long Bangkok days look during summer from your small window

- Hating the overly spicy and smelly Thai food breakfast, lunch and dinner

- Hating to be stuck in traffic all day in a stuffy hot smelly bus in exhaust fumes

- Hating how Thai people basically ignore you and you can't make any friends without spending

progressing towards

- The feeling of depression having to go through this day in, day out

- Hating all things Thai, Thailand and basically everything Asian

- Booking an earlier flight back home

Now compare this to holiday blogs from people on a bit higher budget, and check if you really don't want to come on a 3 month extended holiday instead.

Indeed, as this thread proves, people -do- manage to stay on your budget but there's a couple of differences:

- All of them live outside BKK, where you want to be

- None of them -started- with this budget. They now own their house, have all their furniture, met their wives and are now living on a maintenance budget only.

And yes, I've read these kind of blogs many times over.

As someone who's lived in Bangkok on a tight budget and also on a generous budget I can say that I was relatively happy at all times and wasn't depressed or bored with the place.

It's a fun place to live even on the cheap. Not a major hardship. OP's budget is tight but it's perfectly doable especially if they aren't a drinker and don't indulge in P4P.

I can' t believe that some farang are living here and still " paying for ladies " why???? I meet ladies every day of the week just by strolling about! If the ladies you meet actually like you then obviously you don't need to give them money! ( the ladies I meet would feel deeply insulted if money was even mentioned ) I never pay for ladies! Never go to bars just get out there in the heat of the day and start " socializing " Gentlemen you really must stop being " shy & reserved " or life in The land of smiles will get very expensive for you !

I have respect for the people that live like this. I couldn't do it. No way would i have to think every time i buy something how much it will eat into my budget. I know they tell you in here it's a good life. Fair enough, i can';t see it though, i think they are kidding themselves

• Like 1

CanarySun

Im sorry mate , your lifestyle may suit you but cut the nonsense about attracting women. It may be possible that flocks of hot Thai ladies are drawn to you , seduced by the glamour of your fan cooled bedsit , your promise of no wining , dining or even a movie on the TV. Yes its possible but I hardly think its a no brainer , reckon the punters you mock have a far better chance of a ' romantic evening ' regardless how they choose to pay for it.

Incidently you neglected to answer my earlier question, why do you think the attractive lady ask you to dinner and why did you turn her down ?

Mr Cool Frog...

I don't attract " flocks of hot women " My point is that going to a bar to meet ladies i find is a waste of time and money when you can approach any lady just by " going outside " in the streets,parks,shopping Malls,banks,Big C,beaches,absolutely anywhere! Ok i don't drink but i always socialize the " natural way " and meet lovely people!

I am not interested in a relationship with anybody and after nearly 4 years of living in Thailand i have never had a Thai Girlfriend. I prefer doing my own thing ( " a free spirit " ) i like to come and go as i like.Also i don't have much in common with many of the Thai ladies as i like to be out in the sun all day,i love walking ( 10 KM every day ) afternoons on the beach,train journeys and being on my bicycle! oh and i never watch TV! lol ) But i do like to socialize and have a few Thai friends.

Actually the Thai lady that asked me out to supper.( Thai BBQ ) works in a bar somewhere,she has 3 different farang that send her money every month.( and probably gets barfined most nights...) She is not my type at all but because i am not interested in her ( although extremely polite as always ) she won't leave me alone! Even with the Thai ladies some want what they can't have! ) i enjoy " playing the game " it's all part of the fun!

I live a simple but happy life on my small budget and my room is adequate.( a fan room is perfect as i dislike air con anywhere! ) I also travel a lot of the time using the trains and enjoy taking photos ( also on the trains is a great way to meet people! ) In fact even on my budget i probably travel about a lot more than most farang on much higher budgets.My plan is to continue with my 2000 baht a month room here in Naklua ( Pattaya ) and hope to take on another room in one of the villages in chiang Mai ( i found a nice one for 1000 baht a month with bathroom over looking a rice field ) and then i will travel as and when i wish using the train ( from 231 baht on the train from BKK to CM ) so i have the beach life and then the beautiful countryside of CM for my Bicycle ( it really is a cool place for bike rides! )

So there you have it viewers!

Regards,

Farang Jaidee ( jing jing )

Our standards of 'decent' clearly differ. I can't imagine any apartment in the world being even remotely adequate at £200 a month, I like my mod cons and facilities, And I need (want) to be centrally located for work

Our standards of 'decent' clearly differ. I can't imagine any apartment in the world being even remotely adequate at £200 a month, I like my mod cons and facilities, And I need (want) to be centrally located for work

And I bet he is glad your idea of decent is different to his. Do you take your paid for sex back to your decent home ?

Grindting.... "Irony irony I wish I understood irony:

what the hell doing some jerks here living in a hot country but need air condition and spend so much money for having it cold almost everywhere.they go. means this guys like it cold. therefore i ask them why you not going back to europe, usa, canada and so on when you lke it cold. you are free to leave the hot thailand at anytime is it to hot for you here. i live in phuket and don´t have even a fan. living my whole live in so called hot countrys and never did need air condition or a fan i think are things for "pussys" but not for men.

And I bet he is glad your idea of decent is different to his. Do you take your paid for sex back to your decent home ?

I'm married mate, and not to a Thai.

What is it on here with people obsessed with the topic of prostitutes?

Go to any other asian expat forum and the only folk discussing accommodation at that price bracket are fresh graduates who've come to teach English to the locals, enjoying a new and rough experience. I work too many hours and have been there and done all that when I was a kid to suffer coming home to anything uncomfortable

• Like 1

I can' t believe that some farang are living here and still " paying for ladies " why???? I meet ladies every day of the week just by strolling about! If the ladies you meet actually like you then obviously you don't need to give them money! ( the ladies I meet would feel deeply insulted if money was even mentioned ) I never pay for ladies! Never go to bars just get out there in the heat of the day and start " socializing " Gentlemen you really must stop being " shy & reserved " or life in The land of smiles will get very expensive for you !

i doubt the jerks want listen to you :-D

what the hell doing some jerks here living in a hot country but need air condition and spend so much money for having it cold almost everywhere.they go. means this guys like it cold. therefore i ask them why you not going back to europe, usa, canada and so on when you lke it cold. you are free to leave the hot thailand at anytime is it to hot for you here. i live in phuket and don´t have even a fan. living my whole live in so called hot countrys and never did need air condition or a fan i think are things for "pussys" but not for men.

The thai's love aircon. I guess you've never stepped in a mall or a cinema. The aircon's not for the westerners, it's a thai (asian) preference. Go in to any Thais house who can afford it and you'll find the aircon on. So I guess you're the odd one out. Poor village thai's done have it because they can't afford it, and their thatched huts are not equipped to handle it. But then again even rice paddy workers still have small fans in their huts.. So I guess they're all pussies then?

Oops, I'm talking about USD.

Let's say an education visa too.

I think living on $8000 USD is totally doable.

It is doable to live off $8k USD a year but you won't have a lavish lifestyle.

I have lived on around that much on particularly cheap months when I was busy with something and didn't have as much free time to go out drinking, partying, dating etc.

My days were spent online in a coffee shop using their wifi, I was eating mostly Thai food which I enjoy more than the imitation Western crap you find in Thailand, drinking a few beers most evening, didn't have much need to take public transport anywhere but would take BTS when I did.

My apartment was 8,000B and unlike others have said it wasn't on the outskirts. It was bang in the centre of BKK in walking distance to BTS and had pool, gym, massage, restaurant, laundry service, mini market etc on site.

Bills were around 1,0000B per month but as I was out all day and most of the evening I didn't have aircon on much and got used to sleeping without it.

I'd go out for a big drinking session, partying, or dating around once a week.

A few of those months I'd go on a weekend away to the beach and had to visa runs every 30 days.

I could have saved a bit of money by buying a stove and cooking myself but I'm lazy.

Also instead of cleaning my room myself and using the washing machines in the apartment for 20B to do my laundry I paid people to do it. 170B a week for maid service and 400B for laundry so there's another couple of grand a month that could have been saved if you REALLY wanted to.

I mean drinking every night, partying once a week, weekends away means really you aren't struggling much.

You'll also want to have money for unexpected expenses....it's no good being so broke that even buying a new pair of 300B shoes is causing your weekly budget serious stress.

I have a few friends of who work in Thailand and live in 5k apartments (nothing wrong with them, one even has a pool), on the cheap only eating Thai food, keeping drinking to weekends, who live on less.

They still love living there and don't feel it's a hardship and a couple of them are always off on foreign travels as soon as they have holidays so they feel it's worth while living frugally throughout the year but if you're not living frugally now so you can do something fun later it might get a bit tiresome.

I personally would prefer not to do those sort of cheap months again if in Thailand but if needs must I could without too much hardship. Really wasn't that bad.

But if you have to pay for an education visa + course out of that makes it trickier.

I remember eating in Tony Romas place on lower Suk years ago, always used to see the TEFLr types staring in enviously as they waited for a non aircon bus to ferry them back to some scuzzy apt in Sam Rong.

Maybe they were actually just thinking "why's this guy wasting his money on overpriced Western food when Thai food is 10x cheaper and takes much better" (note: I've never heard of Tony Roma's so I've no idea if the food is good or not but most Western food in BKK is not) or "why's he hanging about in Lower Sukhumvit with lowlifes and hookers" and then going off to bang their cute Thai girlfriend / gik who they aren't paying for.

8 k will last a month IMO, if tge op is setting himself up in BKK

You're talking nonsense.

What set up costs are needed?

Rent a furnished apartment and pay 3 months rent deposit.

Nothing else is really needed.

Maybe they were actually just thinking "why's this guy wasting his money on overpriced Western food when Thai food is 10x cheaper and takes much better"

Ah, thats the beauty of not having to survive on 20k per month, we have choices.

Just because I live in Thailand doesnt mean I am going to eat Thai food for every meal of each day.

Yes Thai food is enjoyable, I prefer Southern Thai food, not the farangised tourist rubbish.

I also enjoy, farang food as well as, Italian, Indian, Mexican and Turkish/Arabic food.

Heck even my Thai mrs doesnt eat Thai food every day.

Check out places such as Fashion Island or Seacon Square at the weekends to see Thais eating in Japanese and korean places.

Reason for being in Lower Suk, was for eating, thats where Tony Romas was located at the time.

However all the above are moot points, the difference is, I had a choice.

I believe one of the main reasons so many think it's not possible to live in Bangkok on such a budget is because they wrongly assume that everyone needs a budget for p4p.

That is probably where a huge chunk of their monthly spending goes. That or on their 'girlfriend'

Pretty much.

There are guys who spend more on banging hookers than they spend on rent and food for the month as if it somehow "goes with the territory"

If that's what they want to do, fine but when it's so easy to hook up with non-P4P women here, it just seems unnecessary

For all those people saying 8k will last a few months,***************************** do you spend all your money on sex or something?

With a budget of $8k for even 3 months wouldn't buy you any sex, other than street meat******************************

. A relatively basic furnished apartment in central Bangkok is $1500 a month and chances are it won't even be serviced. You can get cheaper but I don't want to live in a slum. So you're left with $1100 for the month to spend, 35,000 baht let's say, which is nothing if you're the type who enjoys a good single malt whiskey and or half a bottle of chablis with his sea food dinner. After a trip to the gentlemans barbers, a few pints of 'boutique' craft beer and after paying your dry cleaning bill, there won't be much left for taking a decent woman on a date.

Go to any other asian expat forum and the only folk discussing accommodation at that price bracket are fresh graduates who've come to teach English to the locals, enjoying a new and rough experience. I work too many hours and have been there and done all that when I was a kid to suffer coming home to anything uncomfortable

No idea why people feel the need to take about prozzies all the time, but being as you were the one talking about street meat, maybe you can answer your own question ?

For all those people saying 8k will last a few months,***************************** do you spend all your money on sex or something?

With a budget of $8k for even 3 months wouldn't buy you any sex, other than street meat******************************

. A relatively basic furnished apartment in central Bangkok is $1500 a month and chances are it won't even be serviced. You can get cheaper but I don't want to live in a slum. So you're left with $1100 for the month to spend, 35,000 baht let's say, which is nothing if you're the type who enjoys a good single malt whiskey and or half a bottle of chablis with his sea food dinner. After a trip to the gentlemans barbers, a few pints of 'boutique' craft beer and after paying your dry cleaning bill, there won't be much left for taking a decent woman on a date.

No idea why people feel the need to take about prozzies all the time, but being as you were the one talking about street meat, maybe you can answer your own question ?

No. I was responding to "elv1chris" who started talking about prostitutes, who made the original comment. And then you decided to bring it up yet again.

CanarySun

Im sorry mate , your lifestyle may suit you but cut the nonsense about attracting women. It may be possible that flocks of hot Thai ladies are drawn to you , seduced by the glamour of your fan cooled bedsit , your promise of no wining , dining or even a movie on the TV. Yes its possible but I hardly think its a no brainer , reckon the punters you mock have a far better chance of a ' romantic evening ' regardless how they choose to pay for it.

Incidently you neglected to answer my earlier question, why do you think the attractive lady ask you to dinner and why did you turn her down ?

Mr Cool Frog...

I don't attract " flocks of hot women " My point is that going to a bar to meet ladies i find is a waste of time and money when you can approach any lady just by " going outside " in the streets,parks,shopping Malls,banks,Big C,beaches,absolutely anywhere! Ok i don't drink but i always socialize the " natural way " and meet lovely people!

I am not interested in a relationship with anybody and after nearly 4 years of living in Thailand i have never had a Thai Girlfriend. I prefer doing my own thing ( " a free spirit " ) i like to come and go as i like.Also i don't have much in common with many of the Thai ladies as i like to be out in the sun all day,i love walking ( 10 KM every day ) afternoons on the beach,train journeys and being on my bicycle! oh and i never watch TV! lol ) But i do like to socialize and have a few Thai friends.

Actually the Thai lady that asked me out to supper.( Thai BBQ ) works in a bar somewhere,she has 3 different farang that send her money every month.( and probably gets barfined most nights...) She is not my type at all but because i am not interested in her ( although extremely polite as always ) she won't leave me alone! Even with the Thai ladies some want what they can't have! ) i enjoy " playing the game " it's all part of the fun!

I live a simple but happy life on my small budget and my room is adequate.( a fan room is perfect as i dislike air con anywhere! ) I also travel a lot of the time using the trains and enjoy taking photos ( also on the trains is a great way to meet people! ) In fact even on my budget i probably travel about a lot more than most farang on much higher budgets.My plan is to continue with my 2000 baht a month room here in Naklua ( Pattaya ) and hope to take on another room in one of the villages in chiang Mai ( i found a nice one for 1000 baht a month with bathroom over looking a rice field ) and then i will travel as and when i wish using the train ( from 231 baht on the train from BKK to CM ) so i have the beach life and then the beautiful countryside of CM for my Bicycle ( it really is a cool place for bike rides! )

So there you have it viewers!

Regards,

Farang Jaidee ( jing jing )

yeah sounds like a good life to me mate!! Really surprised to can find a room for 2000 baht a month? So even more so that you can one in CM for a 1000!!? Really liked it there! Never been to Pattaya yet!! Always thought it would cost too much for one thing!! lol. Good for you mate.. cheers

• Like 1

It's been (sort of) fun reading this thread up until now...but you apparently already live in Bangkok, OP? Then you already know if one can live on 20,000 baht/month, don't you? If so, please share with the community how you do that with a 10,000 baht/month rent payment. Thanks in advance.

In 2013 - 2014 I lived in Phrong Phong. It seems every month I spent around $1200 or so. This time around I have less resources and want to make them stretch.

^^^^^^,

what exactly are you coming here to do, and why do you you need to be in Thailand?

Head out to On Nut or Sam Rong and rent a place for 5k per month.

If thats too expensive you can rent a place at HappyLand market for 1,000 baht per month.

If you want to live like a Thai and sample local culture head over to some des res such as Prasamut Chedi, or its ugly twin sister Pra Pra Daeng, there you can live and mix with the locals at Klong Bang Hua Seua for 1,200 baht per month.

You aint one of these digital nomad types we keep hearing of are you?

If your photo is anything to go by, I can well understand you wanting to live like a local, you look as if you need to lose a few kilos.

• Like 2

Maybe they were actually just thinking "why's this guy wasting his money on overpriced Western food when Thai food is 10x cheaper and takes much better"

Ah, thats the beauty of not having to survive on 20k per month, we have choices.

Just because I live in Thailand doesnt mean I am going to eat Thai food for every meal of each day.

Yes Thai food is enjoyable, I prefer Southern Thai food, not the farangised tourist rubbish.

I also enjoy, farang food as well as, Italian, Indian, Mexican and Turkish/Arabic food.

Heck even my Thai mrs doesnt eat Thai food every day.

Check out places such as Fashion Island or Seacon Square at the weekends to see Thais eating in Japanese and korean places.

Reason for being in Lower Suk, was for eating, thats where Tony Romas was located at the time.

However all the above are moot points, the difference is, I had a choice.

My point stands. Most non Thai food in Thailand is poor quality and overpriced. I regularly went for Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Burgers etc and was nearly always disappointed.

There are guys who spend more on banging hookers than they spend on rent and food for the month as if it somehow "goes with the territory"

If that's what they want to do, fine but when it's so easy to hook up with non-P4P women here, it just seems unnecessary

Yeah much my thoughts too. It doesn't get much easier than in Thailand.

When i lived in BKK I paid £150 a month for an apartment bang in the center of BKK with all mod cons, pool gym, massage, restaurants, laundry etc on site within walking distance to BTS.

If you look you can easily find but most people seem not to look and jump at the first thing they find or locate overpriced places using the internet and get duped into believing they are getting a good deal.

• Like 1