Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects

webfact

Done good "the thai way" and that aint honest hard work and merit.

Sorry Alfred, but that's not true of most. My Mum still works the rice paddies even though I've told her not to having provided the living standards necessary to never work again. There's no stopping her.

Tourist Thailand is where the problem is.

Edited by MJP

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Hope it never happens to your child!
another cheap shot. Stop it! I am not justifying anything. I Just ask people to stop blowing up statements.

What's to "blow up"? The odious little dictator is saying it's the farangs fault for having fun on a holiday island and besmirching the reputation of his wonderful country. Have you noticed you're the only one defending him?, Shame on you!

Really? Hope it never happens to your child!
another cheap shot. Stop it! I am not justifying anything. I Just ask people to stop blowing up statements.

What's to "blow up"? The odious little dictator is saying it's the farangs fault for having fun on a holiday island and besmirching the reputation of his wonderful country. Have you noticed you're the only one defending him?, Shame on you!

Shame on you for coming to conclusions without understanding what has been discussed. I suggest you to read a few more posts before opening your mouth again.

I am defending the Thai way of thinking and expressing, time waster!

Edited by Nickymaster

On sairee beach there are 3 Thai families who run the beach, bars and land. Word is that the murder victim got in a argument with a local Thai about the girl.

Anyways none of you will ever hear about this because the news will never know, these Thai families control the police officers on Koh Tao that's why the blame went straight for Burmese. The problem is that the big police chief from Surat came over to Koh Tao so he's likely uncovering this.

The only reason why I have much info on this is because I've lived in Samui and Koh Tao for 8 years.

Let's hope the REAL killers gets brought to justice...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This sounds like a highly possible scenario...that the murderer was a local Thai who had "lost face" in an argument or other interaction with one or both of the victims.

For those who haven't lived in Thailand for a long time . . . any loss of face to the wrong person, especially in public and especially a young Thai man, can result in extreme violence and even murder. And it will not happen in what we consider an "honorary" mano a mano fashion ... it will happen just like this---either by ambush or by gang attack.

Who was right and who was wrong in an argument has no meaning in Thailand. All that matters is that the person(s) who caused the loss of face is severely punished. This means NEVER assume you can win an argument with a young Thai man ... even if you are 100% in the right ... because many (not all) will go lower than you can ever imagine to revenge even the slightest loss of face.

An example: A 50-something friend of mine happened upon a young Thai man urinating on his car one night. He non-threateningly told the kid that was his car and asked him to piss somewhere else. The kid got in his face and threatened him ... then the kid disappeared on his motorbike and came back a half hour later with four friends who all had the serious intention of badly hurting my friend, or worse. The only thing that stopped them was the fact that some Thai friends of my friend had since showed up at the bar/restaurant where his car was parked.

Another example: A young affluent Thai going to university in Chiang Mai was drunkenly hitting on a female server in a restaurant. Customers and staff intervened and tried to stop him nicely at first, with some force after. He went away, drove back with a gun, and started randomly firing into the open air restaurant--seriously wounding and paralyzing a farang customer.

We don't know if such a slight argument or loss of face caused this heinous crime on Kho Tao, or whether it was a jealous farang, or an incensed local, or a thieving migrant instead.

The point is that loss of face to a young Thai man could easily have been the hair trigger for this disgusting murderer's act ... and that it almost NEVER pays to get into any kind of verbal altercation with a young Thai man, even if you are right and even if you will lose face by backing down.

And to anticipate some responses ... this is not racism, it is reality. I'm not saying all young Thai men respond like this, but so many do at one level or another that you need to be aware of it to have a safe and happy life or holiday in Thailand.

I like your post, but who in their right mind would urinate on a parked car and think they can get away with that? I have never heard anything more outrageous like someone who pissed on a car, was told rightfully to piss off and then came back to exact revenge when anyone doing that can be expected to get their lights kicked out of them?

Despite what you say, most Thais are decent and there would have to be a severe escalation of things before something serious happens. I also wonder why your friend didn't move his car immediately after it having been urinated on. The guy in question was probably high on yaba. Keep in mind that up to 3 million Thais, mostly young males are addicted to this stuff and in the vast majority of cases, strange and extremely violent behaviour IS associated with consumption of yaba (meth, ice, methamphetamine or speed, just to quote various names under which this horrible drug is known by). I have watched Thai TV shows and news footage of such infamous cases as a father high on yaba taking a child hostage on the roof of a house (not sure if it was his child or another random child from the village). He was subdued by officers and possibly killed, I'm not sure. Scary stuff indeed.

So don't make the mistake of assuming ordinary, law abiding and non-drug taking Thais are likely to show such extremely violent behaviour. Just like in the west, bizarre, overly extreme violence is highly correlated with methamphetamine abuse. I knew a guy like this. He accused me of trying to take his girlfriend (this was some years back). He tried everything to threaten me and failed. Sure, it could have ended badly but what I found out later was that he was a drug addict and drug dealer who apparently had murdered someone in another province in a drug deal went wrong perhaps a year or two earlier, so this behaviour didn't come as a surprise to me once I found out his past (which didn't take that long). Even the first time I met him his cold, unsmiling face has stuck with me all these years (it's been 7 years now) although I only met him once I think, but anyway the guy never smiled so I am told. I could never understand how the girl he was dating couldn't let go of him knowing what he was like, but she claimed he was extremely protective and threatened her with physical violence if he tried to leave her. A strange story and no idea why she even went out with him in the first place but well, now I know how bad yaba is. It's a horrible scourge on society.

Okay AC Bar is the only bar on Sairee beach that is open all night, its kinda like sound club chaweng Samui. A bar where people party from 2 AM to 6 AM. This bar is very near the murder scene. Where the tourists where partying.

Okay this bar is full of burmese and thai workers and theres a lot of fire dancers around there..

A Hoe is used by the fire dancers every night because they use it when they deal with the fire and preparing for fire games etc.

WHY DONT THEY CHECK WITH THE PEOPLE WHO HAD POSSESSION OF A HOE WHICH ARE THAI AND BURMESE FIRE DANCERS ON THE BEACH!

Edited by SirBser

What a stupid comment

"Prayut said Thais must tell "tourists when the safe times are to be outside, we have to help them understand"

If tourists can not feel able to feel safe and not be able to go out and staying on the beaches, why should they come to Thailand at all?

do do all this things - bad ones ! and maybee even good ones,

which they never would do, or be allowed to do in their home country !

Have you ever seen brites make public sex on their beaches ?

you joking right? barely a peer in england that doesnt have a horny pair of teenagers shagging under it most weekends
A Peer?

I presume you really mean 'Pier', but your sentence does conjure up an interesting image.

I am not a member of the grammar police, and accept that we have plenty of people with English as a 2nd language on here making valuable contributions, but have to say that I enjoyed that image too. Wonderful!

So don't make the mistake of assuming ordinary, law abiding and non-drug taking Thais are likely to show such extremely violent behaviour. Just like in the west, bizarre, overly extreme violence is highly correlated with methamphetamine abuse.

I Am afraid you don't know or realise that ordinary, law abiding and non-drug taking Thais can change in seconds into killing mode.

We had a neighbour couple of Thais running a guest house (they were not the owners)

The two only occasions where the neighbour's wife managed to get into our home it appeared a camera mysteriously got lost and was recovered. We had good reasons to suspect the wife to be the thief and she must have brought the camera back a few weeks later during her second incursion in our home. It was a digital camera and this was mentioned to the woman (making the object unsellable to most Thais 8years ago)

This incident soured our relationship with the neighbours until one day my Thai wife shouted on the street towards the couple calling her a thief.

Within hours the husband turned aggressive and life threatening. Later that evening he came to our house with a broken beer bottle and shouted he came to kill us.

Yes he got drunk, do you think ordinary law abiding Thais don't get drunk sometimes, some often, some daily?

We called the police to calm him down.

Do you think that helped?

The next days he continued expressing his death wishes.

Our friends warned us to take it seriously.

Within 48h we moved out, once a Thai get mad DO take it seriously!