British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

the PM may have done more to hurt future tourism that any brutal murder, suggesting that females in bikinis have no right to feel safe in Thailand,

that comment is going to make headlines everywhere, and the expression on his face of the picture they are using, in his military uniform will do serious damage to thailands british female tourist trade,

there are no american females I am aware of that ever say that Thailand is a place they want to go

How do you explain the American females that are in Koh Tao? I think they might have a different opinion than yours.

I was on a course there 8 weeks ago, it was like the league of Nations with young women, from 18-30 partying most nights and then the nights of the Koh Tao famour pub crawl, even more, most so drunk they couldn't stand properly, with "buckets" for sale every 2-3 M's..

If that's not promoting poor behavior from tourists as some have intimated, then what causes them to behave in such a manner?

Oh and I've seen the same behaviour in Spain and other tourist destinations all over the world too, it's not unique to Thailand.

large groups of "American" girls, walking around blindly drunk from pub to pub?

prove it,

most probably, Aussies,

it is not an America destination

Well, i can say that the last time i was on Koh Samui there were two American girls staggering around in their bikinis at dawn with buckets of booze knocking on every bungalow door and eventually passing out on the beach.

And us other tourist were rather worried about them - until their so called friends turned up to carry them back to where ever they had come from.

So you cannot say that Americans do not go to Thailand. And they do not party like most young travellers or tourists.

Edited by Patsycat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to determine ethnic background from DNA sample?

I doubt anything but preliminary results are back yet and probably just from select blood and semen (which will probably turn out to be from the victim) there is absolutely nothing to indicate the assailant would leave his DNA on the victims. If the hoe was the murder weapon then they might get DNA off of it but it would be a process and have to weed through others whose DNA might be on it who handled the hoe. Despite earlier reports of possible rape, it is very doubtful rape was committed. If reports are accurate, what will be interesting is the DNA results from the blood supposedly found on a clothing article found in the friends suitcase he had when he was trying to board a plane out of the country.

But to answer your question, yes they can get an idea of ethnicity from complete DNA testing ... assuming they have DNA left behind by the person(s) who did this.

What a total joke.

Highly unlikely this and highly unlikely that..... truth is.... you know absolutely nowt and you haven't even kept up with the latest reports as a lot of your crap is totally obsolete now.

The only thing you are 100% sure of, is that it wan NOT a Thai... or at least 'highly unlikely'.

You make me laugh.

Apparently the couple were naked. Semen could be the other victim.

Evidence of semen at a crime scene rules out a woman? Open mind please. You need to get out and about a bit more.

She wasn't naked, her clothes were pushed up to expose her private parts..

............................................................................................................................................................

Poor girl laid out in disgusting manner

Leaving this poor girl in this spread eagled position was the last attempt at humiliation I would imagine. This what I've seen on the images on a website of ill repute putting it mildly. If that really was how she was left, then these murdering Bastards exposed to the world they are professionals at this game of death.

I pray to God that soon we can all rejoice when or if these murdering scum are caught and paraded in front of the world to see....

Is it possible to determine ethnic background from DNA sample?

I doubt anything but preliminary results are back yet and probably just from select blood and semen (which will probably turn out to be from the victim) there is absolutely nothing to indicate the assailant would leave his DNA on the victims. If the hoe was the murder weapon then they might get DNA off of it but it would be a process and have to weed through others whose DNA might be on it who handled the hoe. Despite earlier reports of possible rape, it is very doubtful rape was committed. If reports are accurate, what will be interesting is the DNA results from the blood supposedly found on a clothing article found in the friends suitcase he had when he was trying to board a plane out of the country.

But to answer your question, yes they can get an idea of ethnicity from complete DNA testing ... assuming they have DNA left behind by the person(s) who did this.

What a total joke.

Highly unlikely this and highly unlikely that..... truth is.... you know absolutely nowt and you haven't even kept up with the latest reports as a lot of your crap is totally obsolete now.

The only thing you are 100% sure of, is that it wan NOT a Thai... or at least 'highly unlikely'.

You make me laugh.

the CCTV footage clearly shows enough of a description that the police could surely get someone to ID him, and start from there

the footage shows two separate shots, one of a guy running, and then, another sauntering along with his arms waving broadly, not sure why, unless he was trying to not appear suspicious

this is the main suspect for me,

why this is not the focus of the man hunt, is also, suspicious, unless, they do know who he is, and don't expect to find him

the PM may have done more to hurt future tourism that any brutal murder, suggesting that females in bikinis have no right to feel safe in Thailand,

that comment is going to make headlines everywhere, and the expression on his face of the picture they are using, in his military uniform will do serious damage to thailands british female tourist trade,

there are no american females I am aware of that ever say that Thailand is a place they want to go

How do you explain the American females that are in Koh Tao? I think they might have a different opinion than yours.

I was on a course there 8 weeks ago, it was like the league of Nations with young women, from 18-30 partying most nights and then the nights of the Koh Tao famour pub crawl, even more, most so drunk they couldn't stand properly, with "buckets" for sale every 2-3 M's..

If that's not promoting poor behavior from tourists as some have intimated, then what causes them to behave in such a manner?

Oh and I've seen the same behaviour in Spain and other tourist destinations all over the world too, it's not unique to Thailand.

large groups of "American" girls, walking around blindly drunk from pub to pub?

prove it,

most probably, Aussies,

it is not an America destination

Well, i can say that the last time i was on Koh Samui there were two American girls staggering around in their bikinis at dawn with buckets of booze knocking on every bungalow door and eventually passing out on the beach.

Unfortunately not a nice picture. Daft as a brush when I was younger. Taken in the stride by most as long as you were not obnoxious. No matter what the couple did they did not deserve the outcome. Bad things happen everwhere. Very sad but not excusive to Thailand.

Every man? Obviously no woman could be so vicious?

Woman being vicious, possible, woman leaving semen, impossible.
Unless she brought it in a bottle to frame her ex-boyfriend? Maybe we should start looking for a gang of girls carrying hoes and small sample bottles... :)
Apparently the couple were naked. Semen could be the other victim.

Evidence of semen at a crime scene rules out a woman? Open mind please. You need to get out and about a bit more.

I don't have much past elementary education. So, tell me how does it work for transgendered, ladyboys, non-operated katois and likes?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-premier-causes-outrage-over-bikini-comment-30243549.html

There was outrage in Thailand Thursday after comments by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha that swimwear-clad tourists could be considered provocative, after two Britons were found murdered on a Thai beach this week.
"Tourists think they can do whatever but can they be really safe in bikinis?" he said on television late Wednesday, before adding "Unless they are not beautiful..." Many Thais responded critically on social media. One Facebook user said the comment was "unbelievable and makes me ashamed that my country has anything to do with such uneducated and ignorant views.

"

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy

This won't effect Thailand tourism at all.

Remember the two dead Canadian girls a couple years ago ? That was supposed to be the nail in the cofin for Thai tourism. People will continue to travel here in droves.

Thailand has the beaches, the romance of the 3rd world chaos. People want to come no matter what and they will continue to.

You clearly do not live in a tourist area, if you did you would see the marked decline in WESTERN tourists, while TAT are so busy kissing Chinese ass to plump up the numbers. Everyone with a braincell and their eyes open know that Thailand tourist revenue is suffering badly.

My brother and his wife owns a small hotel on Samui.... He says taking are half what they were 2 years ago and since the last 2 recent stabbings of westerners at the hands of locals, business is dropping month on month.

You talk as though Thailand is the only country in the world that has beaches etc..... there are hundreds of thousands of nice beaches and whores worldwide mate.... Many in places that do not have the same horrendous reputation that Thailand is currently building up at speed.

• Like 1

This won't effect Thailand tourism at all.

Remember the two dead Canadian girls a couple years ago ? That was supposed to be the nail in the cofin for Thai tourism. People will continue to travel here in droves.

Thailand has the beaches, the romance of the 3rd world chaos. People want to come no matter what and they will continue to.

You clearly do not live in a tourist area, if you did you would see the marked decline in WESTERN tourists, while TAT are so busy kissing Chinese ass to plump up the numbers. Everyone with a braincell and their eyes open know that Thailand tourist revenue is suffering badly.

My brother and his wife owns a small hotel on Samui.... He says taking are half what they were 2 years ago and since the last 2 recent stabbings of westerners at the hands of locals, business is dropping month on month.

You talk as though Thailand is the only country in the world that has beaches etc..... there are hundreds of thousands of nice beaches and whores worldwide mate.... Many in places that do not have the same horrendous reputation that Thailand is currently building up at speed.

Nice opinion. Truth there too. Why you need to mention whores I have no idea. Detracted somewhat from your point.

• Like 1

A post on here earlier (SirBser - a few pages back) claimed that a story was doing the rounds on the island, that Hannah had been getting unwanted attention from a Thai man, and David had to intervene and then got into an argument/heated conversation with him. This then led to the Thai man leaving and getting one of his friends, they then decided to wait for Hannah and David to leave so they could make there attack.

May I ask you , how do you know it was a Thai man and not a migrant worker from Burma or somewhere else? For a tourist its difficult to seprate Thais from other Asian nationalities.

This is just a story , who told it first ? Be careful to blaim any nationality in this tragic case.

What we need is evidence.

What we do know is that on the island a majority of the people working there are immigrants from neighboring countries .

Edited by metisdead
16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

A post on here earlier (SirBser - a few pages back) claimed that a story was doing the rounds on the island, that Hannah had been getting unwanted attention from a Thai man, and David had to intervene and then got into an argument/heated conversation with him. This then led to the Thai man leaving and getting one of his friends, they then decided to wait for Hannah and David to leave so they could make there attack.

May I ask you , how do you know it was a Thai man and not a migrant worker from Burma or somewhere else? For a tourist its difficult to seprate Thais from other Asian nationalities.

This is just a story , who told it first ? Be careful to blaim any nationality in this tragic case.

What we do know is that on the island a majority of the people working there are immigrants from neighboring countries .

So many righteous posts with so little facts.

I completely agree with you. I was merely commenting on an earlier post by another forum member, and so I do not have any facts to prove that ANY Thai men were involved.

I don't think anyone can say for sure what the race/ethnicity of the criminals are at this stage, not even the Police, but it does appear that the story of them being waited for and attacked is very plausible, and so whatever locals/tourists know more info on that, hopefully they will come forward sooner rather than later, because those are details that could help catch the killers.

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

How on earth can you say such a thing,,,Does it matter what country the culprit came from?????? This is far more serious than a football match, Everyone here seems to treat is so.

I also live in Thailand,it would never enter my mind to quote such crap.

Yawn. Get off the crapper and take a chill pill.

It does matter where the killer is from. It makes a precedent of how this situation will change or effect the environment of the island and nation thereon after this heinous crime.

I only made the statement because in Thailand when there is a crime there is always a jump to conclusions whether it's by the authorities or the general public. And it always seems to be the bottom of the totem poll imported laborers taking the immediate blame.

So if it can be proven to be an isolated incident where visitors preyed on visitors versus the local or hired workers, it would prevent that inkling of passing off Thailand as the dangerous tourist destination.

Well here we go again,

As it happens I think Thailand is a very very dangerous place for young people to visit, Not all of Thailand, just a few places .I dont need to list them do I?

So England 1 Thailand 0 You still think this is a football match dont you?

Red card. Red card. You must mean soccer.

With the recent developments, it looks like the game had the restart button hit.

I'm surprised Thai police even know how to take DNA. If the victims were closer to a high rise it would of been ruled as a suicide, case closed and no testing done.

The handling of the case has been a huge discredit to the country in my opinion. It really highlights the xenophobic mentality.

Comments about her wearing a bikini and pointing the finger at anyone who isn't Thai makes my blood boil.

Good to hear the Burmese were cleared. For quick closure I hope the evidence ends with the backpacker. Less damage to Thailand's identity for visitors. At least every inch of a break that Thailand gets now is a good break.

I don't give a damn of the nationality of the killer or the reputation of Thailand.

What I want is the real killer to be found for the sakes of the families of those kids and the sakes of other people being killed by the same murderer.

Now you are suggesting he might be a serial killer? What about one random act of passion? Maybe it was his girlfriend who was with the other guy who was murdered? Hope it was a foreigner, as it would be a disaster for Thailand, if it was a Thai man, or a group of Thai men. That's all Thailand needs right now.

Two young people died and all you can think of is what scenario would be better for Thai tourism??

It's not that we can't hear the violins playing in the background, but there are other victims in a crime other than the victims themselves. Besides their families, there is the livelihood of the community at stake.

Hopefully there can be quicker closure by finding the bastards. And hopefully the community and country as a whole will learn from this and possibly create more safety measures for everyone visitor whether foreign or local.

Well I would assume that LOGIC may dictate the way we look at this.

Westerner frequented beach bar on a tourist island is not going to be offering its products at prices that would be attractive to an immigrant worker. They almost always drink among themselves with shop bought cheap alternatives.

However, you will almost always see the more well heeled Thai man at these sort of places because he feels he can afford it.

Personally I have never seen immigrant workers frequenting even Thai run bars if the price of a beer is more than 65 baht a large bottle. But having said that, I can normally tell a Thai from a Burmese or Cambodian man, especially when they open their mouth. It's a bit like when you have lived in any country for a certain amount of time, you pick out the dialect in their accent.

If people are saying that it was a Thai man in the bar in altercation with the victim/s you can pretty much put your monry on it being a Thai man, and probably with money. (the worst kind).

I just can't believe that the police actually ruled out a Thai national as the murderer based on the stupid attitude that 'Thais would never do such a thing'.... Thailand is one of the most violent places I have ever been to. Even the school kids kill each other.

I am really thinking twice on whether i want to bring my kids up here.

Logic? A Thai cannot afford the price of a beer? Awful assumption that to my mind is one of the worst things on TVR.

• Like 1

Westerner frequented beach bar on a tourist island is not going to be offering its products at prices that would be attractive to an immigrant worker. They almost always drink among themselves with shop bought cheap alternatives.

However, you will almost always see the more well heeled Thai man at these sort of places because he feels he can afford it.

Personally I have never seen immigrant workers frequenting even Thai run bars if the price of a beer is more than 65 baht a large bottle. But having said that, I can normally tell a Thai from a Burmese or Cambodian man, especially when they open their mouth. It's a bit like when you have lived in any country for a certain amount of time, you pick out the dialect in their accent.

If people are saying that it was a Thai man in the bar in altercation with the victim/s you can pretty much put your monry on it being a Thai man, and probably with money. (the worst kind).

I just can't believe that the police actually ruled out a Thai national as the murderer based on the stupid attitude that 'Thais would never do such a thing'.... Thailand is one of the most violent places I have ever been to. Even the school kids kill each other.

Logic? A Thai cannot afford the price of a beer? Awful assumption that to my mind is one of the worst things on TVR.

Here's a fact, somebody who was in Koh Tao posted on her Facebook that Hannah and Dave had a problem with a Thai man in the bar.

This means the Thai man could have been Thai, or Burmese or Asian.

Thai, and Burmese hang out at the bars because they work there or their friends work there or they are a FIRE dancer.

A hoe tool is used by the fire dancers on the beach to set the beach up with fire activities.

I don't know what happened I'm just pointing out what I read in her Facebook and also what friends of mine have told me, friends who work in bars and dive shops in Koh Tao.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

For some reason my phone doubled posted.

Edited by metisdead

Where's the mug shot, photo of the accused sitting between proudly smiling offers, finger pointing? What happened to the good old days?

Hope the blood stained shirt will nail him down so the families of the unfortunate victims can have closure.

Edited by catweazle

Here's a fact, somebody who was in Koh Tao posted on her Facebook that Hannah and Dave had a problem with a Thai man in the bar.

This means the Thai man could have been Thai, or Burmese or Asian.
Thai, and Burmese hang out at the bars because they work there or their friends work there or they are a FIRE dancer.

A hoe tool is used by the fire dancers on the beach to set the beach up with fire activities.

I don't know what happened I'm just pointing out what I read in her Facebook and also what friends of mine have told me, friends who work in bars and dive shops in Koh Tao.

SirBser:

And has any of this been shared with Police officials yet? - if not, I'd have to ask why? - as this is a MAJOR lead in this case.

The longer people sit on this, and just keep whispering it amongst themselves and friends etc, they helping prevent these killers being brought to justice. The longer this investigation goes on for, the less likely these people will ever be caught, and that would be a tragedy.

• Like 1

Where's the mug shot, photo of the accused sitting between proudly smiling offers, finger pointing? What happened to the good old days?

Hope the blood stained shirt will nail him down so the families of the unfortunate victims can have closure.

Please keep up, there are now no suspects, everyone previously held, has been released and given permission to return home.