Malerone available in CNX

Lobin

It's not.

Nor is it needed anywhere near Chiang Mai.

But if you do go camping way out on the Burmese border in the middle of nowhere, then you could consider bringing it from abroad.

Either way though you will still need to take the usual precautions in terms of repellent, screened rooms, etc. because Dengue is a lot more common, and no prophylaxis exists for it.

I may be wrong, but isn't Malerone used in West Africa only due to drug resistance there?

Doxycycline is used here I understand...

Malerone has the advantage that you can start the course closer to travel date compared to doxycycline.

But it is probably not needed as pointed out to be honest, unless contracting malaria would be serious due to any other health issues.

Malerone IS needed as pointed out in my original post, Doxycycline is not.

It is Malerone I am looking at acquiring, I shall try the points of contact suggested, thanks for those.

Edited by Lobin

Malarone is registered in Thailand and is now available in our hospital under the name "Malanil". It is an antimalarial medication which contain two active ingredients (Atovaquone + Proquinil) in one tablet. It can be used for treatment and for prevention of malaria. World Health Organization and the US CDC list malarone as one of the recommended antimalarial prophylaxis for travelers.[/size]

Thai Travel Clinic[/size]

Hospital for Tropical Diseases

Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University

420/6 Rajvithi Rd, Rajthewi

Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Telephone: 02-3069100 ext 3034 or 02-3069145 (Mon to Fri 8.00am-4.00pm)

02-3069199 (Sat 8.00am-12.00pm)

FAX: 02-3069145

Email: <removed>

Facebook: facebook.com/thaitravelclinic

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/FrontNews/availability-of-malarone.html

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

cheers for the other useful replies guys, I have managed to dodge a bullet for this month and plans have changed. but I shall keep this information to hand, as I am sure I will end up needing it one in the near future!