Heads up for tyre buyers

dBrown

Today i needed new tyres for my truck, 265/70/16.

Did the rounds in Pattaya and was quoted for the Bridgestone D840 and D850 between 5500 and 5800.

For the Dunlop I was quoted 5000 Baht at the cheapest dealer and 5200 for Good year.

Drove to the tyre dealer in Sri Racha, about 500 meters past Tukcom at the same side, where I bought my previous 2 sets of tyres.

The Bridgestones were quoted 5000 Baht, the Dunlops 4100 Baht and i went for Firestones at 3900 Baht.

On the way there I stopped by at Siri Anan, you you know the huge dealer who drives the Lambo and other exotic cars, and was quoted 6200 for the Bridgestone D840.

Now I know how he pays for the Lambo.smile.png

• Like 2

Good info. Am about to buy new tyres as well. Gives an idea about pricing in Thailand.

I believe my Toyota 4 x drive has tyres of 285. Not going to check out now...dark and rainy.

Offer to me was 6250 Baht and befor I could even try, I already had a discount of 200 Baht.

This was in Chiang Mai neighbor at the 'old' Makro

if in pattaya drive to ban amphur,..just past ocean marina and on the left as you enter the shop area you will see a giant "FIRESTONE" sign on a roof on the left,just before the only traffic light...english spoken, good work and fair prices for all jobs...no, i do not own the place but use and send friends and they have all had a deal try the guy and be happy.smile.png also brakes,oil changes etc.

• Like 1

if in pattaya drive to ban amphur,..just past ocean marina and on the left as you enter the shop area you will see a giant "FIRESTONE" sign on a roof on the left,just before the only traffic light...english spoken, good work and fair prices for all jobs...no, i do not own the place but use and send friends and they have all had a deal try the guy and be happy.smile.png also brakes,oil changes etc.

Everyone has his favorite dealer and gets a good deal somewhere, but only like for like can be compared.

There are many threads about tyres on TV, but it always ends with I got quoted "tyres" at that price with this dealer but I got "tyres" for that price at that dealer.

What I'm talking about is the price for the exact same tyres at the different dealers, and the one in Sriracha was for every tyre at least 15% cheaper than whatever dealer in Pattaya, and I've done them all including the national chains. By the way the Dunlops were the AT 20 type.

And this isn't a one time event since I have bought my third set of tyres there already for the same reasons.

So if the one in Baan Amphur is cheaper, it would be appreciated by many on this forum if you could post a like for like price comparison, since Baan Amphur is even closer than Sri Racha for Pattaya residents, to who this thread is aimed.

What I'm talking about is the price for the exact same tyres at the different dealers, and the one in Sriracha was for every tyre at least 15% cheaper than whatever dealer in Pattaya, and I've done them all including the national chains.

Did you try B-Quick outside BigC on Sukumvit?

One other thing that you need to factor in is the cost (if any) of balancing and wheel alignment.

What I'm talking about is the price for the exact same tyres at the different dealers, and the one in Sriracha was for every tyre at least 15% cheaper than whatever dealer in Pattaya, and I've done them all including the national chains.

Did you try B-Quick outside BigC on Sukumvit?

One other thing that you need to factor in is the cost (if any) of balancing and wheel alignment.

Yes I tried B-quick and also D-tire or something on the North side of Sukhumvit.

As I said that it that the price comparison was like for like, I would consider that the balancing and wheel alignment was included, as that is thrown in for free everywhere with the purchase of 4 tyres.

I have 180,000+ km on my truck. It has 2 original tires from new and they are still going. The other 2, I puctured the sidewalls or they would be going strong too.

Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Since these tires are the longest lasting I have ever seen, it is what I will continue to buy. 5000 Baht is the going rate. Longevity is my thing.

I have 180,000+ km on my truck. It has 2 original tires from new and they are still going. The other 2, I puctured the sidewalls or they would be going strong too.

Bridgestone Dueler H/T. Since these tires are the longest lasting I have ever seen, it is what I will continue to buy. 5000 Baht is the going rate. Longevity is my thing.

180.000 Km is an almost unimaginable amount of km, as normally they last around 70 - 80.000 Km.

The price of the bridgestones I quote is the dueler H/T, so it seems that 5500 - 5800 is the going rate in Pattaya these days.,

Thanks for the info , We will be needing Tires soon on the little Honda city.

Oh by the way it is Tires. why is there no spell check here.

I could use spell check because my spelling is terrible. Lol

http://grammarist.com/spelling/tire-tyre/

Tire vs. tyre

Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. Of course, all English speakers use tire in the sense to grow weary.

• Like 2

I needed a tire 2 years ago due to a flat, a Michelin for my Honda. I went to probably 6 stores, including that "Firestone" store in Ban Amphur. Which is a fantastic place not only for tires but also repairs. Unfortunately, they didn't carry that brand. I was referred by a friend to a tire store on Suk about 200M before N. Pattaya road as you are heading north. Best price by far. Anywhere from 10-25% cheaper. I was kinda shocked at the range of prices for the exact same tire.

You might have a look at this place. Great service also. I got another flat a few months ago and I thought they were going to try and sell me 4 new tires as the car is almost 5 years old and the tires are almost worn out. But no! He sold me a used tire for 800B that matched the others and said to come back in 6 months to a year as I didn't really need new tires right now. I was impressed!

Near Nongprue Intersection on Soi Siam Country Club is a tyre dealer that carries Deestone tyres. Never heard about that brand but they were tempting cheap - as in 2,400 per tyre for 195ers. Almost a year and about 30,000 km later I must say I will never pay more for a tyre again!

Priced up tyres for my CRV yesterday, B3600 vs B6700 for Bridgestone brand

There are new tyres - and there are new tyres, from the same brand... did you check the year of production?

They are manufatured in the 23rd and 24th week of 2014, or do you suggest that a tyre shop that moves a several hundred tyres each day and has probably several thousand tyres on the premises, is loaded with aged tyres?

• Like 1

There are new tyres - and there are new tyres, from the same brand... did you check the year of production?

They are manufatured in the 23rd and 24th week of 2014, or do you suggest that a tyre shop that moves a several hundred tyres each day and has probably several thousand tyres on the premises, is loaded with aged tyres?

Back in the day, it was common to buy a spare set of tyres when you bought a car and store them in a cool dry place such as a basement. Then, in 3 or 4 years when your car needed replacement tyres, the stored tyres were appropriately "aged" and would be allegedly good for an additional 20% mileage compared to a recently manufactured tyre.

I never knew if this was urban legend or not, but my Dad always had a set of tyres maturing in the basement alongside his bottled home-brew.

• Like 1

Back in the day, it was common to buy a spare set of tyres when you bought a car and store them in a cool dry place such as a basement. Then, in 3 or 4 years when your car needed replacement tyres, the stored tyres were appropriately "aged" and would be allegedly good for an additional 20% mileage compared to a recently manufactured tyre.

I never knew if this was urban legend or not, but my Dad always had a set of tyres maturing in the basement alongside his bottled home-brew.

It is indeed a fact that aged tyres last longer, because the rubber hardens ( dry out), but it comes at the expense of less grip on the road .

Just saying... maybe it's something other tyre buyers would not look for.

Near Nongprue Intersection on Soi Siam Country Club is a tyre dealer that carries Deestone tyres. Never heard about that brand but they were tempting cheap - as in 2,400 per tyre for 195ers. Almost a year and about 30,000 km later I must say I will never pay more for a tyre again!

Priced up tyres for my CRV yesterday, B3600 vs B6700 for Bridgestone brand

That's a whopping saving. I will get the wife's CRV re-shod there before it goes into the body shop to get the motorbike implant damage removed.

• 2 months later...

Deestone Nakara 185/65R14 86H today in Doi Saket. 1500 baht, mounted and balanced.

Very professional shop, correct tools to do alloy wheels, torque wrench and tire gauge.

New steel rim for the spare - 100 baht !!

Edited by seedy

Do you have location or name of the shop ? Thank you.

Agree 100% with thairay. The owners name is Hi, I 'Found' him about 15 years ago, when his dad helped him to set up the business together with his wife. He is a gem, speaks collage English. 081-862-2609. used him yesterday to fit a new battery and replace rear shocks. Like thairay, I have been sending friends there for years, including one that has a 70s XJ6, that Hi has been taking care of for many years.

Do you have location or name of the shop ? Thank you.

As we have now two threads running on the same topic, I close this (older) one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/738957-Best-Prices-for-Tires-in-Pattaya#entry8826171