Texas carries out a rare occurrence: An execution of a woman

webfact

Texas executes Lisa Coleman, 38, for torture and starvation of her girlfriend’s nine-year-old son 10 years ago

HUNTSVILLE, TEX: -- A TEXAS woman convicted of the starvation and torture death of her girlfriend’s nine-year-old son a decade ago has been executed.

Lisa Coleman, 38, received a lethal injection on Wednesday evening (US time) after the US Supreme Court rejected a last-day appeal to spare her.

She was pronounced dead at 6.24pm, 12 minutes after Texas Department of Criminal officials began administering a lethal dose of pentobarbital.

Coleman became the ninth convicted killer and second woman to receive lethal injection in Texas this year.

Nationally, she’s the 15th woman executed since the Supreme Court in 1976 allowed the death penalty to resume.
During that same time, nearly 1400 men have been put to death.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/texas-executes-lisa-coleman-38-for-torture-and-starvation-of-her-girlfriends-nineyearold-son-10-years-ago/story-fnh81jut-1227062198240

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-18

• Like 1

It is a strange country, this USA. I believe in the death penalty for crimes that involve death in the commission of a crime. Taking ten years to do it is crazy. A young man can enlist or be drafted, if they re-instate the draft, and be in combat and killed within six months, and he is innocent and serving his country.

Criminals and people with no self-displine do not deserve that much time. Get it done, get in done correctly and move on.

Edited by webfact
font size adjusted /Admin
  • Like 2

Umm, are you sure you read it right?? I said "about time" now how is that sexist?? If you would read the whole article you would read about the total of men and women put to death.

you have some deep unresolved issues playa.

please read and think before you post.

and who really cares if they are men or women, they all committed horrible acts to be put on death row.

• Like 2

Umm, are you sure you read it right?? I said "about time" now how is that sexist?? If you would read the whole article you would read about the total of men and women put to death.

you have some deep unresolved issues playa.

please read and think before you post.

and who really cares if they are men or women, they all committed horrible acts to be put on death row.

Take it easy, maynard420, I was talking about the fact that her gender was pointed out. That was sexist.

Never had any unresolved issues. I am a straight man and all my life I've been strictly 'a lesbian'.

I also believe that any Death penalty should have a capped in time right to Appeal plus 3 days after which - "this way, please" .

If the USA Senators and Congressmen had to pay for keeping those criminals for years on a Death Row they would agree with me.

The news reports are inaccurate to say the Supreme Court denied the request of defense attorneys for a stay of execution. The SCOTUS itself never met to consider the emergency plea of a stay.

In any emergency plea to the Court only one designated justice, the Circuit Justice, receives the plea and the one single Circuit Justice makes an immediate decision that is valid and binding.

Justice (wrong word in this instance) Antonin Scalia is the Circuit Justice for emergency pleas from Texas (and several other states). Scalia is the leading advocate of the death penalty on the Court, so Scalia is known as a hanging judge - case closed. Four of the nine justices are opposed to capital punishment and it was the luck of the draw that determined the fate of this inmate. I'm just not sure that is justice because it sounds more like pot luck gambling.

Scalia during his time has nonetheless granted some emergency pleas of a stay that have resulted in new trials and acquittals. Scalia a while back famously granted a stay one hour before an execution was to occur. In that case the Court went on to receive the appeal, then ruled in favor of the appeal, reversing the conviction and death penalty because a psychiatrist had been allowed to testify African-American males were more violent than other males.

This case was however never going to be one of those.

The death penalty is anyway rapidly losing support in the United States. The Pew organization tracking of it found this year that since 1994 it's lost public support to the tune of 15% of the population turning against it. The main reason is technical rather than the usual biblical one, i.e., its application is unequal and thus unconstitutional. Hear hear.

Edited by Publicus for typo

Edited by Publicus

It is a strange country, this USA. I believe in the death penalty for crimes that involve death in the commission of a crime. Taking ten years to do it is crazy. A young man can enlist or be drafted, if they re-instate the draft, and be in combat and killed within six months, and he is innocent and serving his country.

Criminals and people with no self-displine do not deserve that much time. Get it done, get in done correctly and move on.

I concur. The most notable case that I can remember is that of Carol Chesman (spelling?). He was on death row in San Quentin longer than most serve a life sentence and then they still went ahead and executed him in the gas chamber. Sometimes I wonder who is the least humane.

While what she did is unforgivable, look at the upbringing she had.

I don't want to look at the up bringing she had. I look at the upbringing the victim never will have. If this monster committed this crime because her brain was distorted, compassion and treatment will not UN-distort it. Put her away. One thing is certain, she will never commit such a crime aqain. Any other treatment negates that certainty while she remains among the living.

• Like 2

While what she did is unforgivable, look at the upbringing she had.

And that excuses torturing and murdering a child?

No. But I find the sociological and environmental aspects of the murderer's upbringing interesting and likely to be one of the main reasons for the evil person she became.

• Like 2

What the <deleted> is a "straight man lesbian"??

Eddie Izzard (British stand-up comic who wears women's clothing but who is married to a woman). You asked!

Eddie Izzard is a hetero stand up comic who sometimes cross dresses and is married to nobody. Apart from that, spot on!

What the <deleted> is a "straight man lesbian"??

Eddie Izzard (British stand-up comic who wears women's clothing but who is married to a woman). You asked!

Eddie Izzard is a hetero stand up comic who sometimes cross dresses and is married to nobody. Apart from that, spot on!

I imagine it is a joke of sorts as ABCer likes women (as do all lesbians) ...smile.png