House Maid in Chiang Mai

chiangmaiexpat

Out in the sticks I pay 250 for a whole day, 6 days a week. She is very very happy with that.

On the other hand 2 hrs housekeeping in my CM condo (irregular basis) is an extortionate 200 baht, and no clue how to clean properly.

"All Farang pay 200 - you cheap Charlie" says the lovely lady ..... If I ever dared to argue.

My 'Cleaner' has worked for me for about 7 years, originally on 2 days a week for me and 2 days for a friend of mine--we both paid her 350 baht per day; then she got a raise, from my friend to 400 baht per day about 3 years back and I was obliged to follow suit--now I have been cut down to 1 day a week due to her 'other commitments', who are newcomers[ in one instance recommended by me]--now "they all pay her 500 baht" per day, and this is by no means a full day meaning she likes to finish what she thinks is required, by 3 pm at the latest, and leave.

I am just giving examples of how the 'Mer bahn' scene has changed in line with recent pay increases, it seems.

400 baht for a Full Day--seems like a good deal.

• 7 months later...

I live in the city. My maid lives very nearby so my location suits her. She comes three days (8 am to 2 pm) a week. I have no complaints about her work. I've been paying her 400 a day (six hours). She now wants 500. Would that still be reasonable?

I live in the city. My maid lives very nearby so my location suits her. She comes three days (8 am to 2 pm) a week. I have no complaints about her work. I've been paying her 400 a day (six hours). She now wants 500. Would that still be reasonable?

If she worked for a Thai, she would get 300 a day from 9 until 6. Period.

If she worked for a Thai, she would get 300 a day from 9 until 6. Period.

I don't doubt that, but is 500 for a six-hour day in the ball park for a farang employer today?

Hell yes.

Also, it's really much better to pay a little more for someone who does good work and you can trust. Sure you can pay 400 or even less, but then you're looking for a new maid every couple of weeks/months.

I have a gardener who comes once a month, Burmese guy who I pay 500B a day. My neighbour (Thai) pays 300B, 200B if not Thai. My neighbour told me I'm crazy to pay that much. My gardener does a better job than others I've hired, I call him and he's at my house within a few hours and I've noticed that my neighbour seems to have a new guy all the time and his wife is always complaining that they can't find anyone to do the garden.

How much should you pay a maid? Depends on how much she's worth.

The rate you pay a maid varies upon what benefits come with the job. In some cases where the maid lives in your home and gets free food, the pay should be less than the norm because she in effect is getting 1,500 to 3,000 baht a month in room and board. You also need to add in the competence of the maid, does she work hard or lay around, does she do her work without damaging things around the house, does she leave burns on your clothing when she irons and how well does she speak English or how well can you communicate with her.

I would think if you have a live in maid the bottom lowest salary would be 5,500 baht a month plus room and board. This would be for one that rates low in competence. On the other hand I know people who pay as much as 12,000 baht a month plus room and board but those people have very competent maids and they can afford to pay more.

I give my live in maid one day off a week plus Buddhist holidays and she is happy with that. I also allow her to save days off (work them) so she can have a long weekend once in a while.

I would ideally like to find a live-in maid (to whom I'd provide separate room and bathroom). This is because I am away a good 25% of the year and I'd like to know my house and pets are cared for. (My present maid can't live in - she has her own family). How does one tap into the maid market?

I would happily pay over the odds for the right maid for reasons that have been mentioned in posts above.