"Lumber Yard"

SailingHome

As a kid, where we went to buy ANYTHING to build a house was at the local "lumber yard". Now these are Home Depot, mostly, in the USA. In Ban Pae there is a huge building supply store.

No, I am not looking for pretty decor. I wany building supplies: fencing, roofing, lumber, plywood, cement, bricks, nails, tools, hardwood, ... anything and everything needed to build a house.

Where is one in Bangkok? I am not in Rayong or Ban Pae enough to wait to buy things there.

Thanks!

My experience with Thaiwatsadu:

I went to buy some wall filler/putty. My niece wrote it down in Thai. Presented the paper at the store. A discussion ensued gradually drawing in a crowd of 15 employees all with input or merely there to relieve the tedium of their day. I was offered a 50 kg bag of plaster. Eventually I was passed on to a higher authority in an office where I sat & waited for one of the employees to look up from their screens. After several minutes I realised I'd been in the store for over twenty minutes and counting. I got up and left. As I stalked out of the building I could hear the still assembled crowd of redundant employees making noises of disbelief and ridicule. I have not been back.

Why do employers over man their stores to the point of overkill? Why don't they sack all but the best/most effective so the assistants would be busy most of the day? This would reduce their wage-bill by 90%.

My experience with Thaiwatsadu:

I went to buy some wall filler/putty. My niece wrote it down in Thai. Presented the paper at the store. A discussion ensued gradually drawing in a crowd of 15 employees all with input or merely there to relieve the tedium of their day. I was offered a 50 kg bag of plaster. Eventually I was passed on to a higher authority in an office where I sat & waited for one of the employees to look up from their screens. After several minutes I realised I'd been in the store for over twenty minutes and counting. I got up and left. As I stalked out of the building I could hear the still assembled crowd of redundant employees making noises of disbelief and ridicule. I have not been back.

Why do employers over man their stores to the point of overkill? Why don't they sack all but the best/most effective so the assistants would be busy most of the day? This would reduce their wage-bill by 90%.

What is even more funny is that someone with zero Thai cant even walk around an point at what he needs. I mean I have been there and wall putty is sold with English description on it. Even more funny is to assume the conversation between you and your niece was perfect and her translation too. How about learning the language and looking for yourself.