UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

If they actually have DNA samples... Then they know if they were Black... White... Asian... Male... Female... (also would know if suspect was on a high Hormone intake... Katoy??)

If they don't have a clue... Then there is no DNA being tested!

How can anyone say... the suspect of search is not Thai... Before any testing was done!

If this is the level of Protection we or anyone has here in Thailand... Buddha... God... Somebody Help us!!

Terrible tragedy though this is and my heart goes out to the poor families who must be unbearably suffering Thailand isn't unique in having bad people do bad things I remember there was a tragedy involving the murder of two British tourists in Miami a few years back but the difference is the US cops solved it pdq. Thai cops are about as useful as a chocolate teapot they are often there to commit crime not solve it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/28/shawn-tyson-guilty-murder-british-tourists

Edited by beautifulthailand99

I following the comments, and everyone seems to overlook that rape happens to young women all around the world....and it is a horrendous crime against women. Cultural differences be damned, there is never an excuse for rape. In my country, and not all that long ago, a rapist was hung from the nearest tree when caught.

• Like 1

Why do they not involve the UK police to help them. They should send a sample of the hair to UK they will test it to see if it was Asian or European.

Am sure UK have more sophisticated means of checking a lot, CTV footage they could enhance a lot.

Probably a good idea, but HEAVEN FORBID!!! The BIB would lose face then. Can't have THAT now can we?

Oh yeah, the British police will help you a lot. Let's not be hypocrites and have a go at Thais. They are as bad as anyone else.

Police Treated British Rape Victims Like ‘Stupid, Naughty’ Girls
A sex abuse investigation in Britain raises difficult questions of race and child protection.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/police-treated-british-rape-victims-like-stupid-naughty-girls/196050/

I agree, not all Western cops are perfect, I was just thinking that British police probably have more modern equipment.

I've worked with the Army, Marines & Air Force in Thailand, and with the exception of the Marines, NONE their equipment is EVER maintained, so I can just imagine all the dusty, 20 year old equipment laying around an RTP station.

============

A bit off topic, but as for stupid, criminal cops, I was room mates with this guy back in 1989 or so. I was shocked when I heard about this.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=272210276

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-02-07/news/0302070342_1_apopka-police-coffey-orange-county

Edited by jaywalker

Why do they not involve the UK police to help them. They should send a sample of the hair to UK they will test it to see if it was Asian or European.

Am sure UK have more sophisticated means of checking a lot, CTV footage they could enhance a lot.

Probably a good idea, but HEAVEN FORBID!!! The BIB would lose face then. Can't have THAT now can we?

Oh yeah, the British police will help you a lot. Let's not be hypocrites and have a go at Thais. They are as bad as anyone else.

Police Treated British Rape Victims Like ‘Stupid, Naughty’ Girls
A sex abuse investigation in Britain raises difficult questions of race and child protection.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/police-treated-british-rape-victims-like-stupid-naughty-girls/196050/

I agree, not all Western cops are perfect, I was just thinking that British police probably have more modern equipment.

I've worked with the Army, Marines & Air Force in Thailand, and with the exception of the Marines, NONE their equipment is EVER maintained, so I can just imagine all the dusty, 20 year old equipment laying around an RTP station.

============

A bit off topic, but as for stupid, criminal cops, I was room mates with this guy back in 1989 or so. I was shocked when I heard about this.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=272210276

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-02-07/news/0302070342_1_apopka-police-coffey-orange-county

Not maintained but there will be a budget for that ... funny that wonder where it went ?

I would recommmand to Brits,

spend your sea vacation in Saudi;

you'll be on save side !!

No Alcohol

no drugs

no sex,

or are there any other reason why you come here ?

There are foreigners who come here out of sincere interest in Buddhadhamma,

based on the claim that Thailand is a "Buddhist country." Instead of monks who practice

sila (morality), samadhi (meditative concentration), and panna (wisdom), living their lives

in accord with the vinaya (discipline), they encounter, directly and through Thai media:

drug usinging monks, drug dealing monks, slashing and stabbing monks, raping monks,

murdering monks, monks buying sex, monks selling sex, temple funds stealing monks,

monks masquerading as army officers, karaoke monks, monks selling ,magic amulets and

voodoo spells--Thailand's "venerable sangha."

It is claimed that Thailand's people have acquired their moral sense from Thai monks.

Observation of mondern monks certainly seems to support that claim. I have heard some

elderly people lament that "Today not even monks observe the pancha sila (five precepts

for laypeople)!

Claiming to be Buddhist is one thing--

Wholeheartedly striving to understand and embody the Buddha's teaching is another.

No Alcohol

no drugs

no sex,

based on the claim that Thailand is a "Buddhist country." Instead of monks who practice

sila (morality), samadhi (meditative concentration), and panna (wisdom), living their lives

in accord with the vinaya (discipline), they encounter, directly and through Thai media:

drug usinging monks, drug dealing monks, slashing and stabbing monks, raping monks,

murdering monks, monks buying sex, monks selling sex, temple funds stealing monks,

monks masquerading as army officers, karaoke monks, monks selling ,magic amulets and

It is claimed that Thailand's people have acquired their moral sense from Thai monks.

Observation of mondern monks certainly seems to support that claim. I have heard some

elderly people lament that "Today not even monks observe the pancha sila (five precepts

for laypeople)!

Wholeheartedly striving to understand and embody the Buddha's teaching is another.

if these farang had a sincere interest they would know which wats to go and visit. and your insinuation that most thai monks behave this way is silly.

The story edited out his comment admitting that "there always was a problem with tourist safety in Thailand". That's the key point people need to understand. But more than that, it seems like the government just accept that and have no plan to improve safety.

Hardly likely. Apparently this island is run by 3 families who have the police in their pocket. There are many places in Thailand which are basically self policing with no preventative effort at all. His statements were completely out of touch with the situation.

also why would the only test migrants from Burma and farang, but somehow they think it is impossible that a thai would do this, there is a lot they could do but wont, I think they are walking a blind path to certain things, maybe they should let the uk do all the forensic testing and dna, and sperm break down, and lets see what they can turn up, as this is a very clicky island

No Alcohol

no drugs

no sex,

for laypeople)!

most people and friends I know who come to Thailand or have been to thailand have only come for one thing, and it was not the temples the beer or the view, I can assure you that, and I am talking about many friends over the 20 years I have been coming to thailand

The story edited out his comment admitting that "there always was a problem with tourist safety in Thailand". That's the key point people need to understand. But more than that, it seems like the government just accept that and have no plan to improve safety.

Hardly likely. Apparently this island is run by 3 families who have the police in their pocket. There are many places in Thailand which are basically self policing with no preventative effort at all. His statements were completely out of touch with the situation.

also why would the only test migrants from Burma and farang, but somehow they think it is impossible that a thai would do this, there is a lot they could do but wont, I think they are walking a blind path to certain things, maybe they should let the uk do all the forensic testing and dna, and sperm break down, and lets see what they can turn up, as this is a very clicky island

Someone somewhere knows who did this. It is a matter of how powerful that person is and whether they can fit up someone else satisfactorily.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am surprised that the possibility of a double suicide has not been put forth as it was for the decapitated couple found floated near their yacht off Phuket a couple of months ago.

I didn't say destroy -

I think that is merely wishful thinking. This terrible incident is not going to destroy Thailand's tourism industry.

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .
Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.
Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

Its not wishful Thinking -

Its tourists thinking !

And what ""i did say"' is they will feel the pinch.

Thats not an unreasonable observation -

Its based on reaction to this -

Reaction to the Pm's comments

Reaction to the whole Gun ho Take over-

And people like the UK embassy having to ask for clarification from the Thais on comments.

Social media is awash with people saying "'not Thailand this year"

All indicators are that some down swing will be certainly felt -

And especially if the Killers are not caught.

So basically if a Thai lady is walking around wearing skimpy shorts and a revealing top is it fair game to sexually assault her? Absolute rubbish.

What worries me most is not the comments from the PM, but the fact that every day Thai's actually think that's right and can't see this situation for what it is. Are they incapable of being assess the situation or just thick?

Nobody said she is fair game,but women are treated as second class citizens here in some cases.Assaults on women are treated as a joke,especially within marriage.

Please don't take this as an attack on the deceased,but having sex on the beach is a dumb thing to do,in any country.There were rooms nearby.

So

1. There is no evidence of rape at this time, only of sexual intercourse which of course humans have of their own free will from time to time. I hope this poor girl was not subjected to rape during her violent death. One more indignity for her.

2. Rape is not a sexual act committed because of attraction. It is a violent act of control. It doesn't matter if women are wearing bikinis or burkas. It happens everywhere to beautiful, ugly, young and old. And to men too.

3. If bikinis are the problem, why was the man killed? Was he wearing a bikini too? Nope. This was a horrible act of violence that had nothing to do with bathing attire.

• Like 1

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

That's still backwards-thinking. Doesn't matter if it comes from your wife. Its sexism against men in that it implies they can't control themselves.

Well,it's bloody obvious some men can't,how many rapists in jail in any country in the world,eg India.How about the recent train incident,opportunism at its worst.She was available,i'll take her.Some men are just predators.Just hang around schools at get out time and you will see what i mean.

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Was this guy smokin dope when he wrote this or is he just a plain one? Maybe he meant 97% of the ministers he put in and then they voted to make him the PM eh? If this guy was looking for a way to make people laugh he succeeded 100%.

As far as the bikinni's go didn't I read somewhere a few years ago the ministers were all up in a howl how seductively the school girls were wearing their skirts up to their um well what word can I use here and not get censored? haha. Is he suggesting the Thai chicks are ugly. Hell, there are more perverts at the schools checking out the girls than at the beaches.

it is currently agains the law to disrespect/and or incite bad feeling against the current government. i have in fact sent you comment to the relevant dept. you are not above the law. your IP is noted!

Now we have farang grass,doing the regime's work for them.There is a job in Pattaya awaiting you,to continue your good work.Hope your proud of yourself.

• Like 2

I like this guy. He speaks the truth. Unlike politicians who invariably lie everytime they speak. Of course this is a terrible terrible act and there can be no excuse. But he doesn't mean that. Why do people like to self sensor themselfs with all the PC stupidity.

If you see a nutter driving a bi bike and 150 km ph then you obviously think - dangerous. If you see some young attractive girsl walking around almost naked then do you not also think - dangerous. If not then your a fool.

----------------

also to anyone that actually thinks that there is free speach in UK papers then they simply need to look at the way the papers have been covering the Scottish Independence issue. Completely biased. If anyone actually ever thinks the BBC is anything but a governement propagands organisation then i have a bridge in london for sale.

God bless Thailand

The truth has a time and a place to be spoken. He is out of touch with the norms of western culture.

The parents of the murdered girl have just arrived in Thailand. Their child is dead. They don't need, nor deserve to hear, the country's "leader" sexualizing their daughter, and deflecting the blame to her, just days after she was brutalized on holiday.

norms of western culture do not fit with norms of asian culture. think about that. could save your life or one of your close loved ones lifes one day!

At the same time, if you're selling yourself as a beach holiday destination . . .

When they sell Sex on the Beach,they mean to drink it,not take it literally.

You say:

I actually think the PM's comments may say more about what he thinks about some Thai men than it does about foreign female tourists wearing bikinis.

Is he saying that Thai men can't be trusted around young attractive western girls in bikinis and therefore, these girls are not safe wearing such attire on the beach in Thailand?

Edited by pinkpanther99, Yesterday, 15:44 .

I say:

He certainly seems to be. What else could he be saying? ... Come on, he's only saying the truth. That's why I like this government so much. So different! By the way, "are dangerous" rather than "be trusted" would have been a more forthright way of expressing his sentiment.

• Like 2

20-25 million tourists come to Thailand every year, 5-6 of them die, big deal, thats less than 1 in 4-5 million. Its not an unsafe country for tourists, definitely safer than most countries in this planet.

Statistics would say otherwise.

Thailand is officially rated as ABOVE 'extremely dangerous' for violence towards tourists.

Only Central Africa and the worst Middle East countries are considered more dangerous.

America and Europe are given the safest rating.

A Brit is 17x more likely to die in Thailand, than anywhere else overseas.

As for official murder stats, Uk 500/year, Thailand 5,000/year, Burma 15,000/year.

As the PM said, "Foreigners think Thailand is a safe and beautiful place, but it isn't safe".

Disregard the bikini comments, concentrate on the general admitting, Thailand isn't safe for tourists (or anyone else).

I don't place any blame on the young couple, they are on holiday with their brains left at the airport.

I do place some blame on their parents, for not warning them about young foreigners dying under mysterious circumstances in Thailand every year. Parents are supposed to try and protect their young.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have been in groups of Thai (men and women) going to touristic beaches all over thailand and if we saw western girls in small bikini's they all went crazy, made loads of pictures and talked about them all day.

It is not done to wear that in Thailand but i still see it everywhere.

The girls who do this are just stubborn or just plain stupid and respectless. We better warn all of them to go elsewhere or buy a bathsuit. The ones who igonore this warning simply ask for it.

Up to you.

Edited by namdocmai