UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

Some of the comments on here are disgusting. If a man cannot control himself around women he is the one with the problem. To say that women should cover themselves is antiquated and sexist and reminds me of years ago when female rape victims were made to feel like it was their fault. No ones fault but the perpetrator

People aren't saying that, they are saying what you say above in bold.

Yes he is the problem , but it is about being safe in a developing world country where some people still think like that.

(Edited by someone... Message gone!!)

Just as I thought!!

I will try again!....

<deleted>!!

Meanwhile Thai Girls... Women.... Ladies..... Ladyboys....... Can Parade around 1/2 to 3/4 % Naked at Schools.. Shopping Malls... On the back of Motorcycles.... at the Markets..... on the Beach and nothing is happening? I think "Not That it had anything to do with "Bikinis"!!!

More the fact the color of their skin... This is why Thailand has such a high end market for Skin Whiteners..... Maybe the best answer would be to require all tourst's to under go 2-3 weeks of Daily Tanning Salon appointments... "To tan their Bodies".... Or just maybe that was their reasoning for Booking a "Sun Holiday" in Thailand....

Lighter side... If he was wearing a Bikini.... I am so sure of it being the reason for the attack!

Yaaa.... Rightttt...!

I would not put so much pressure on searching for Males who might have been the agressor! Look at Females too!! Could have been slighted and in an aftertone of resentment unleashed a high pitch of Thai Anger!!! Just maybe when approached was because of what was being observed!!

But Give me a Break!! Had nothing to do with the wearing of a bikini!

Anyone can take lets say 25 Women from Europe and the matching number from Thailand... Who are we going to look at if you dressed them all in the same so called, Sexy... Bikini?

Sure as hell not going to spend much time gazing at anyone from United Kingdom...

Get my point.... Why most of us came here anyway... Right?

Also is regards to DNA...

Fact: We should know....

Where owner of sample is from... (Asian... American...Europian...)

Sex of Owner of Sample... (Male... Female... or if High Hormone Content... Possible Katoy?)

Now before you contaminate sample if you cannot or do not have these answers right now... We have plenty of High Standards Hospitals with Doctors Even Visiting Doctors from other Countries here on Loan... who can complete this endeavor!

If you need help.... Ask for it! If you don't have the Basic answers to the above simple questions... "You Need Help"

But again.... "Had really nothing to do with whatever they were wearing...." Be it fully clothed or a Bikini....

What's that six or seven times you have posted this? We read it!! Please stop.

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

I tell you what ladies and gentlemen. This is a first.

I have to salute the man. For a Thai he has more humility than the last 20 elected PM's put together.

He said "Sorry".

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I have seen Thai conservatism on walking street in Pattaya and along Jomtien beach and in many other locations around Bangkok.

I have been approached early (ish) evening by men and women showing me graphic, sexual pictures and trying to coax me to go to a "ping pong" show. This is while weaving in and out of hoards of scantily dressed ladyboys along bar fronts strewn with ladies dancing provocatively to try and tempt me into go go bars. All of this in the street open for everyone to see, including the kids, very conservative.

And yet bikinis worn by women on the beach are inappropriate,,, hmmm,,, priorities skewed maybe?

Pattaya is just one huge brothel so its appropriate but that does not make jot right in other places. What a stupid comment you've made. Maybe people like you totally immerse yourself in a brothel most or all the time but if you went out and looked at most of Thailand you will not see (except maybe in tourist sex spots) such rude and inappropriate behaviour. IT might be appropriate for gay men to openly engage sex acts in their own clubs and places but that imagine if they started doing that say doggy style in a shopping mall or beach ??

As much as I agree that his post was a little misguided, Hua Hin even has it's own red light district or gogo bar scene which is very close to the beach and sometimes you can see stranglers from the night befer at sunrise around the beach areas (I like to take sunrise photographs at around 5-6am from time to time). It isn't just Pattaya or Phuket

or just hang around the beach at 5-6am

When my twenty year old daughter came to visit some twentyfive years ago my wife told me to warn her about what to, and what not to wear in certain places, as the locals were not used to seeing girls in bikinis, and for them, revealing attire. This is still good advice for some areas even now. But for Koh Tao I hardly think so. Regarding the hoe (job) which appears to be the murder weapon, there hardly seems to be a mention. Certainly I have read in the past reports of Thais using a job as a weapon. It seems an unlikely weapon for a farang to use. I wonder how many were involved in this ghastly murder? Only time will tell. We hope?

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .

Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.

Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

I think that is merely wishful thinking. This terrible incident is not going to destroy Thailand's tourism industry.

I don't think so either but it doesn't help with unintelligent comment especially when he is a criminal who is way out of order

But no honer in him he should step down for election and it doesn't matter if it's get better or worse as long as they are elected and it will be better for Thailand turist or industri it will be for the best

So it doesn't matter to you whether or not what he is doing is supported by the vast majority of Thais? And it doesn't matter if it gets better or worse as long as tourism is booming? Are you in the tourism business?

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I have seen Thai conservatism on walking street in Pattaya and along Jomtien beach and in many other locations around Bangkok.

I have been approached early (ish) evening by men and women showing me graphic, sexual pictures and trying to coax me to go to a "ping pong" show. This is while weaving in and out of hoards of scantily dressed ladyboys along bar fronts strewn with ladies dancing provocatively to try and tempt me into go go bars. All of this in the street open for everyone to see, including the kids, very conservative.

And yet bikinis worn by women on the beach are inappropriate,,, hmmm,,, priorities skewed maybe?

Pattaya is just one huge brothel so its appropriate but that does not make jot right in other places. What a stupid comment you've made. Maybe people like you totally immerse yourself in a brothel most or all the time but if you went out and looked at most of Thailand you will not see (except maybe in tourist sex spots) such rude and inappropriate behaviour. IT might be appropriate for gay men to openly engage sex acts in their own clubs and places but that imagine if they started doing that say doggy style in a shopping mall or beach ??

As much as I agree that his post was a little misguided, Hua Hin even has it's own red light district or gogo bar scene which is very close to the beach and sometimes you can see stranglers from the night befer at sunrise around the beach areas (I like to take sunrise photographs at around 5-6am from time to time). It isn't just Pattaya or Phuket

when we lived in Bangkok we used to go to Hui Hin and Cha Am a lot and in those days it was 99% a Thai tourist place mostly used by well of Bangkok folk for weekend or at holidays. Even only 15 years ago their was no var scene or togo bars at all but with it becoming popular with forang tourists it changed a lot and the bars opened. Same as in a lot of other laces in Thailand. Of course their were always places for This men but very discrete. Even one of our favourites Ko Chang has in last few years sprouted somme girlie bars but at moment these places are still fairly discrete and its not done. I know people who would not agree but id never take my kids to a Brothel like Pattaya mostly is except maybe boys to teach them facts of life. Of course its fun and in my day like most men i went to those places (long long long ago before married).

Its still not appropriate in most of Thailand and sadly its forang who've brought it here. Ladies at temples and places are IMO more art forms and anyway not at all same as a live can be touched and got young pretty female scantily dressed. One is possibly obtainable other is just a picture.

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

The comment that only pros wear bikinis is total bull sh#t, while not many do there are some decent Thai ladies that do own and wear bikinis. Please your definition of western bikini. I am from the South Bay of California and they wear many different styles of western bikini.

of course its total BS, but goes to prove how some TV members have lost their grasp on reality and really have no clue what they are talking about.

I have been on "works" weekends away to the beach with collegues and family members and the vast majority of the ladies from work had bikinis tops on and shorts, and virtually all of there ladies have completed higher education (masters degrees's in various subjects) and some come from some very well to do families, but I will be sure to tell them that TV's resident Thai cultural experts are of the opinion that they are whores because the wear bikini's at the BEACH..

I will concede that while swimming they put T-shirts on, but that more to do with not wanting to go "black" from the sun, but while sitting the shade, no problem sitting in the chair in their bikini's

Ah so they were wearing shorts not western style bikini bottoms. My point exactly. No Sarongs ?

My wife has a masters from the UK went to WWA. Best friend is a Na Ayutthaya so don't bother playing the bar stool/Hi-so welding inspector card.

Quote "The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason."

So I guess the "Shorts not worn under the skirts" are for what reason? By the way this is becomming more and more a common sight! Is this flaunting something or advertising....

It is a fact! that over 90% of the Visitors that come to Thailand, come to enjoy the Scenery.... It is also a Fact that 98% of the Thai Ladies ages 15-85 know that they are in fact the biggest portion of that So Called Scenery...

If anyone who visits the Beaches here can attest to that Bikinis worn by the Thai female Content (Girls... Women... Ladies... Katoys...) are all worn by those who are beautiful and hold High end jobs. If they are from Normal Families they wear regular Swimming Attire... So is there something here that is being Flaunted by the Educated?

Why are most Thai's of the Female persuassion the highest mix of customers buying Whitening Cream?? Is it because Their Partners don't like Dark skin? Don't they know this is the highest reason for Tourists here to get "Tanned"....! I had the choice of ladies when I married..."Many"! Loved them all... But I choice mine and her me because of family Values (both of us) (I added because she was Tanned! - She is Thai!!) Yes she wears a Bikni to remind me all the time that she is still beautiful!! I look to remind myself of how lucky I am (My wife is much more beautiful!!).

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

Yeah !!! Exactly like from George Orwell.. Let's block all media which can have any critical opinion about LOS and Innocent Thais... "innocent" ??? I mean... seriously ???cheesy.gif

Obviously has no idea what so ever why the Mail was blocked.

Yea innocent the way the hack ,stab and shoot each other.

What chance has a foreigner got out here.

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

I agree unfortunately , and I'm very sorry for the families .

The Above sums it up , its extremely rare to See a True Thai girl in a Bikini , either a Bar girl ..or in some Farang resort .

Have always thought , always in the Tourist areas ..I wouldn't walk around like that , its really important to have some respect for the culture ,

and while I appreciate the comments might be insensitive , and to a degree Blaming the Victim ..

You cant just act like you do in Farang land , and this extends to extremely brief Bikini's .

The Above sums it up , its extremely rare to See a True Thai girl in a Bikini , either a Bar girl ..or in some Farang resort .

Have always thought , always in the Tourist areas ..I wouldn't walk around like that , its really important to have some respect for the culture ,

and while I appreciate the comments might be insensitive , and to a degree Blaming the Victim ..

You cant just act like you do in Farang land , and this extends to extremely brief Bikini's .

How the hell are regular beach resort tourists supposed to know the intricacies of Thai culture when these places are sold as beach holidays?

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Some of the comments on here are disgusting. If a man cannot control himself around women he is the one with the problem. To say that women should cover themselves is antiquated and sexist and reminds me of years ago when female rape victims were made to feel like it was their fault. No ones fault but the perpetrator

People aren't saying that, they are saying what you say above in bold.

Yes he is the problem , but it is about being safe in a developing world country where some people still think like that.

Well, then surely the point should be, "we are very sorry that we have an element in our society that reacts to women who are scantily dressed. For this we apologise and will attempt to increase the safety of women in public places".

The fault is absolutely 100% with the perpetrator and any movement from that is denying responsibility.

• Like 2

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

Why can't he say it himself?

Thais do not apologise for what they say or do, someone else might on their behalf tho it saves face that way and then everything is fine.... coffee1.gif

but sorry some men for whatever reason can't control themselves very well and many think a girl scantily dressed is sending an invitation. I recall 40 or so years ago i wasp na beach in south france with my first wife and a super model type girl wearing nothing walked whole length of beech. Of course i did not go and rape her but I could not help looking even staring at her all time. My then wife hit me and to this day ill still say well she

invited me to stare at her.

So its not appropriate or sensible to dress scantily and fairly stupid to do so in any isolated place. Of course n a Gogo bar its safe for girls as they are in public place but are you really suggesting it would be sensible for them to do that outside their work place.

Right or wrong and i agree its not girls fault if she's raped but its plain silly to provoke such an action from some men in knowledge that their are a lot of men around who rightly or wrongly and especially if on drugs or drunk will try and so should not be encouraged or have their desires ramped up even more.

How the hell are regular beach resort tourists supposed to know the intricacies of Thai culture when these places are sold as beach holidays?

Exactly. Obviously they should stop selling thai holidays with any images of women in bikinis, and the holidays should come with a very tough advisory about what people should wear.

• Like 1

slur post removed

My post has been removed...Can you please advise me what a "slur post" is, so I don't get censored again?

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Link to forum rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Look up forum rule 10 while you're at it.

Excuse me sir. iam someone who wears a bikini and I am not a prostitute. i am Thai. I agree with you on beaches most Thais do not wear bikini but someone who is modern can do so and is NOT a prostitute. i think you are very old to think like this. i am very sorry about the British tourists and their family.

but its not appropriate in many places here and if your this you know its frowned on to say least by most thais. So why since I'm sure you know its not liked and offends al to of thais do you do it ?? every this lady i know finds it distasteful and not just old fashioned ones. So i repeat why do you persist in doing something which offends a lot of people. The rude forang men who walk around with no top covered in tattoos and to some extent thai girls and ladies have at least excuse they probably dont know they are offending a lot of people and while I'm sure you are not a prostitute a lot of thais especially non educated non western thais will assume you are ax will a lot of their wives. In my time I've known a lot of shall we say lady companions form bars and none of them would behave like this in public (except at bar or entertainment venue)

It's difficult to believe that someone as shrewd as the PM would make those comments. Rather, something has been lost in the translation.

The cultural differences and, the accepted norms, from a Thai point of view, need to be considered.

Also, it's interesting that it is assumed that a man committed the crime. Jealousy is a powerful and dangerous emotion...

Edited by Jobe

Exactly. Obviously they should stop selling thai holidays with any images of women in bikinis, and the holidays should come with a very tough advisory about what people should wear.

Innit? Hearty, I've never read so much twoddle in my time on this board.

• Like 2

well good for them, the comments, if quoted correctly were made in bad taste and are very insentitive to say the least.

But true here in Hua Hin I have seen females shopping on villa wearing bikinis, several hundred yards from the beach, you do not have to be a rocket scientist to see they are asking for trouble.

I hope Mark Kent spoke with the UK foreign office and it gave him or told him to say the Generals comments are at best distasteful and at worst disgraceful. I guess the general is ok for "bikini clad" Thai girls all over the country in bars and streets?

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

Well if he has a point where is the notice in the airport warning the millions of tourists that it is not safe to wear bikinis? Nada, because they don't want people getting the wrong idea. They will do and say anything after the fact to exonerate themselves. Puerile is what it is.

Though I see the 'PM''apologised' for his bikini remark. The BBC has him quoted as saying to the effect, I'm sorry some people got upset by my remarks. Pathetic!!

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .

Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.

Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

Thailand is like many countries... Feeling the effects of the world economy.

This will not help. but numbers will be down this year due to NO MONEY