UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

well good for them, the comments, if quoted correctly were made in bad taste and are very insentitive to say the least.

Perhaps the comments are insensitive for farang,...but IMO the comments are on the minds of most Thai people,...who everyday see farang in their provocative beachwear. In Chiang Mai, I'm tempted to say dozens of times each day, "where's the beach" to these disrespectful tourists and expats.

When in Rome, do like the Romans,...when in Thailand, do like the Thai.

Bikini's belong on the beach,...not in the bars near the beach,...nor in Chiang Mai.

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

you mean the buddhist conservatives that drink alcohol all the time, rape children/school girls/women, kill each other over loss of face. etc, yes I can see how such conservative buddhists would be outraged at bikinisblink.png

So what compels you to willingly remain in such a place then?

I ignore the idiots whats your excuse or are you one of them

I enjoy the place without the need to feel bitter over stuff. Its a mindset. Something some posters ought to contemplate. Moaning over buddhists when they make up 9 out of 10 who reside here...how do you hide out from all that?

Edited by gemini81

well good for them, the comments, if quoted correctly were made in bad taste and are very insentitive to say the least.

well sorry if your offended by someone telling the truth. Stop bringing your crap western ideas here where everything is ok. Here itsw not ok for men to walk around half naked covered in tattoos or women (except in gogo bars and Pattayi bars) to go around indecently dressed and its not ok like most westerners do to enter a temple in hot pants or short skirts or to wear shoes

When in rome do as romans and stop all this crap its not appropriate here.

So all you forang who think its fine to come here parade around as you would in west your simply looked upon by all thais (including bar girls prostitutes and rest) as rude and totally low class.

Im not excusing any murders or rape but its simply not appreciated or appropriate here except in proper place being bar scene or at a private party with paid dancing girls

I actually think the PM's comments may say more about what he thinks about some Thai men than it does about foreign female tourists wearing bikinis.

Is he saying that Thai men can't be trusted around young attractive western girls in bikinis and therefore, these girls are not safe wearing such attire on the beach in Thailand?

I think that has the ring of truth about it. He is speaking with the mindset of many older Thai men, unfortunately.

I do have great respect for what he has achieved, and as a soldier, but politician he ain't - yet. But I'm sure he'll learn - he'd better.

there seems to be a lot of remarks made here by certain posters that are considered incitefull towards the current PM and his military government. this is against the law - which i am sure posters are aware of. i have in fact sent this topic for the attention of the PM's office.

Under current law direct and incitefull critisism of the PM and/or government is a felony.

I hope all the brave posters stand by their comments as their IP's are known and recorded!

right, maybe they will divert a few of their police from the murder scene to investigate this, that would be very helpful

I like this guy. He speaks the truth. Unlike politicians who invariably lie everytime they speak. Of course this is a terrible terrible act and there can be no excuse. But he doesn't mean that. Why do people like to self sensor themselfs with all the PC stupidity.

If you see a nutter driving a bi bike and 150 km ph then you obviously think - dangerous. If you see some young attractive girsl walking around almost naked then do you not also think - dangerous. If not then your a fool.

----------------

also to anyone that actually thinks that there is free speach in UK papers then they simply need to look at the way the papers have been covering the Scottish Independence issue. Completely biased. If anyone actually ever thinks the BBC is anything but a governement propagands organisation then i have a bridge in london for sale.

God bless Thailand

The truth has a time and a place to be spoken. He is out of touch with the norms of western culture.

The parents of the murdered girl have just arrived in Thailand. Their child is dead. They don't need, nor deserve to hear, the country's "leader" sexualizing their daughter, and deflecting the blame to her, just days after she was brutalized on holiday.

Is Prayuth out of touch with western culture or are we out of touch with they Thai culture?

well sorry if your offended by someone telling the truth. Stop bringing your crap western ideas here where everything is ok. Here itsw not ok for men to walk around half naked covered in tattoos or women (except in gogo bars and Pattayi bars) to go around indecently dressed and its not ok like most westerners do to enter a temple in hot pants or short skirts or to wear shoes

So all you forang who think its fine to come here parade around as you would in west your simply looked upon by all thais (including bar girls prostitutes and rest) as rude and totally low class.

Im not excusing any murders or rape but its simply not appreciated or appropriate here except in proper place being bar scene or at a private party with paid dancing girls

I see just as many women from china and korea walking around in bikinis as western women, Im not sure why people consider this to be a western concept being pushed onto the asians

• Like 2

You're out of your mind. Everything you mentioned you hate about western life, all those things above came from the west, as part of western culture assimilating.

• Like 1

All youngsters before they come to Thailand should be made aware of the Thai code of conduct and dress. Some might say that the way young European girls dress in

public places could be seen to be an open 'invitation'. Cover up not only when visiting Temples here. Thailand is not Sweden or Ibiza.

Thailand is very safe compared to 99% of the rest of the world, so don't hesitate to come here.

Statistics say otherwise.

Policemen often stop tourists and ask for bribes, airports are taken by thugs (who can't be touched), bombs in the South, etc etc

I agree most of the Latin American and Caribbeans countries have a fair higher crime (well, I have been to 108 countries, little experience about travelling), but saying Thailand is safer than 99% of the world is a big exaggeration.

Maybe we can say it is safer than most third world countries,it is surely not safer than Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Scandinavian countries,Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, New Zealand, etc etc ...

• Like 2

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

Wrong in all ways. But most of all women should not have to dress to protect. Many women dress this way in the west without having to worry that some pervert will get an erection and not be able to control himself. Both men and women dress as they do to attract attention but that should not get them killed.

As for the Daily Mail lambasting Thailand, that is just untrue, they publish the news as it is in a non-biased way. I read the Daily Mail every day and I have only seen a few stories about Thailand and none of them were written in a slanderous or accusatory way.

• Like 1

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

Wrong in all ways. But most of all women should not have to dress to protect. Many women dress this way in the west without having to worry that some pervert will get an erection and not be able to control himself. Both men and women dress as they do to attract attention but that should not get them killed.

As for the Daily Mail lambasting Thailand, that is just untrue, they publish the news as it is in a non-biased way. I read the Daily Mail every day and I have only seen a few stories about Thailand and none of them were written in a slanderous or accusatory way.

And nowhere near as biased as corporate media in the west! Thats for darn sure.

I like this guy. He speaks the truth. Unlike politicians who invariably lie everytime they speak. Of course this is a terrible terrible act and there can be no excuse. But he doesn't mean that. Why do people like to self sensor themselfs with all the PC stupidity.

If you see a nutter driving a bi bike and 150 km ph then you obviously think - dangerous. If you see some young attractive girsl walking around almost naked then do you not also think - dangerous. If not then your a fool.

----------------

also to anyone that actually thinks that there is free speach in UK papers then they simply need to look at the way the papers have been covering the Scottish Independence issue. Completely biased. If anyone actually ever thinks the BBC is anything but a governement propagands organisation then i have a bridge in london for sale.

God bless Thailand

Sorry to digress but the BBC is not the UK Government's propoganda dept. but the entire British ruling class's propoganda machine. I have always been a big fan of the BBC in the UK which has to be diverse to compete. So I didnt realise this until spending Winters in Thailand where we are force fed the BBC World News which makes me want to throw up as It is so narrow and elitist in its coverage and presentation and obsessed with wealth and economics. It makes me ashamed to be British as it gives the World a totally distorted view of Britain and the British. It should declare itself a 'money' programme like 'Bloomberg' now it has given up on competing with Algazeera. I've grown sick of having the minority of British 'posh people' being shoved down my throat by the BBC. Im English and against Scottish Independence but, given the above, can understand how they feel and if I was Scottish, to be honest, I think that I would vote for independence to escape this narrow minority British elitist rule.

Edited by SunsetT

"The junta has vowed to restore Thailand's reputation as the "Land of Smiles", embarking on a clean-up of resorts after a series of complaints about scams, assaults and even police extortion."

Just three days ago I was brazenly asked to 'pay extra' at immigration, a sum above the official fee to get the officer to do his job. It seems to be totally accepted. Additionally, I was given a receipt for THB 1,000 when in fact I paid THB 3,800 and was told not to worry about it...so these officials are not just fleecing visitors, but are stealing from their own government.

Just today I was told that my retirement visa application would be approved, but I had to "take care our coffee

money". First request for such in seven years, at immigration anyway. And I had to pay 150 baht for my form to be filled in on a computer, and I had to pay 100 baht for my photo to be taken as mine could not be used.

All documents in order, all money present and correct, photo same standard as last year, but........no chance until money paid under the table.

Oh, and I can't collect it till next week, at which time I will have to go through the same process for my re entry visa.

Oh, and I had to draw a map to my house. Why did I bother getting a Tabien Baan yellow book?

All Thais living abroad like in their community in Los Angeles should be expelled than, since they still dress like Thais, eat Thai food and speak Thai, so they don't respect the american society ?

This is the difference between tollerance and racist intollerant people.

Just forbid the tourism in Thailand and that's all ! End of the problems ! The perfect country , the perfect people and the prfect society will starve to death in few months.....

Look how desperate Thais are only because tourism has dropped by 10%. Look at the debt which is balooning.

It is easy to call the tourists in and than spit on them, right ?

Do without tourists if you hate them so much.

• Like 2

----------------

God bless Thailand

The truth has a time and a place to be spoken. He is out of touch with the norms of western culture.

The parents of the murdered girl have just arrived in Thailand. Their child is dead. They don't need, nor deserve to hear, the country's "leader" sexualizing their daughter, and deflecting the blame to her, just days after she was brutalized on holiday.

But Thailand is not the West at all and has its own culture.i I have been coming to, working and living in Thailand for more than 20 years and I can count on my fingers of both hands the number of Thai girls and ladies I have seen at the beaches wearing bikinis. I never managed to get my wife into a bikini even when she was young and beautiful as she told me that she would feel very uncomfortable in doing so. She was quite happy to go in the water in bra, pants, T-shirt and shorts however because she was fully dressed.

I am not trivialising the deaths of the two tourists at all but Thailand IS different to the UK, Europe and the USA. It is also different to Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia and Burma.

What is the norm in some countries is not acceptable in others. Some times the local peoples in those countries get upset at what the West sees as "normal" though it is rare to show it.

When my first (farang) wife came to Thailand for a holiday we went to the temple of the emerald buddha and she had to rent a shirt to cover her arms. There were some foreign women visiting the temple wearing boob tubes and cut off shorts and were not happy at being told to cover up their body in a sarong and long sleeve shirt.

Whether the General was PC in what he said is debateable, but he did say it and he did apologise

In the village and Roi-Et I feel at home, in fact no where else in the World do I feel more at peace with myself and the World. But tourist Thailand? No chance.

You live in a village in Roi Et, you poor sod. I am so happy I am not there !

Only sometimes these days and not at the moment. I have no choice but to go there to look after the kids. If I had a choice, it would be anywhere but LOS to be frank.

My going home to the kids is not the same as me going to Thailand.

----------------

God bless Thailand

But Thailand is not the West at all and has its own culture.i I have been coming to, working and living in Thailand for more than 20 years and I can count on my fingers of both hands the number of Thai girls and ladies I have seen at the beaches wearing bikinis. I never managed to get my wife into a bikini even when she was young and beautiful as she told me that she would feel very uncomfortable in doing so. She was quite happy to go in the water in bra, pants, T-shirt and shorts however because she was fully dressed.

I am not trivialising the deaths of the two tourists at all but Thailand IS different to the UK, Europe and the USA. It is also different to Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia and Burma.

What is the norm in some countries is not acceptable in others. Some times the local peoples in those countries get upset at what the West sees as "normal" though it is rare to show it.

When my first (farang) wife came to Thailand for a holiday we went to the temple of the emerald buddha and she had to rent a shirt to cover her arms. There were some foreign women visiting the temple wearing boob tubes and cut off shorts and were not happy at being told to cover up their body in a sarong and long sleeve shirt.

Whether the General was PC in what he said is debateable, but he did say it and he did apologise

A number of posts removed for a variety of reasons, mostly.........

)You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

----------------

God bless Thailand

But Thailand is not the West at all and has its own culture. I have been coming to, working and living in Thailand for more than 20 years and I can count on my fingers of both hands the number of Thai girls and ladies I have seen at the beaches wearing bikinis. I never managed to get my wife into a bikini even when she was young and beautiful as she told me that she would feel very uncomfortable in doing so. She was quite happy to go in the water in bra, pants, T-shirt and shorts however because she was fully dressed.

What is the norm in some countries is not acceptable in others. Sometimes the local peoples in those countries get upset at what the West sees as "normal" though it is rare to show it.

When my first (farang) wife came to Thailand for a holiday we went to the temple of the emerald Buddha and she had to rent a shirt to cover her arms. There were some foreign women visiting the temple wearing boob tubes and cut off shorts and were not happy at being told to cover up their body in a sarong and long sleeve shirt.

Whether the General was PC in what he said is debateable, but he did say it and he did apologise.

Edited by billd766

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

The comment that only pros wear bikinis is total bull sh#t, while not many do there are some decent Thai ladies that do own and wear bikinis. Please your definition of western bikini. I am from the South Bay of California and they wear many different styles of western bikini.

• Like 1