Front crash/bull bars

fifa

Jeez - by now I've forgotten who's for and who's against......and I'm not reading through this mess again to find out.....now that we are down to the biting and hair pulling I think the OP has enough info/food for thought to decide what he wants.....

I actually think the OP got one answer, and that was ARB.

Yeah! Got us all bickering and effed off lol

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez - by now I've forgotten who's for and who's against......and I'm not reading through this mess again to find out.....now that we are down to the biting and hair pulling I think the OP has enough info/food for thought to decide what he wants.....

Bickering! I don't know about that, this is the evening entertainment for me. 95% of what you read on forums is BS....but it can be very funny....sometimes.

Better than watching Thai TV. saai.gif

Bickering! I don't know about that, this is the evening entertainment for me. 95% of what you read on forums is BS....but it can be very funny....sometimes.

Better than watching Thai TV. saai.gif

Sliding down a razorblade using your balls as a brake is better than watching Thai TV.

"Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!" Do I have to repeat the old sAYING about assumptions? Oh.....I do! '“When dealing with critics always remember this: Critics judge things based on what is outside of their content of understanding.” '

I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece. At 5kph it probably gravel rash and hurt pride.

It seems you still have a lot to learn.

So, why don't you en-lighten all of us with your pool of knowledge. I am sure it won't take more than a paragraph.

"I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece."

No you don't know that, that's just 25mph, I've been riding bikes for 50yrs, including 350,000mls in 5yrs as a m/c courier in London. I've hit, and been hit, at much higher speeds than that and never even spent a night in hospital, car bonnets are amazingly pliant if you're wearing good gear.

What you can safely assume is, if you are hit by, or hit, totally non pliant things like bull bars at speeds of 25mph or more, you are going to break.

They should be banned worldwide, damaged vehicles are much less important than mangled, or dead bodies.

• Like 2

"Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!" Do I have to repeat the old sAYING about assumptions? Oh.....I do! 'When dealing with critics always remember this: Critics judge things based on what is outside of their content of understanding. '

I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece. At 5kph it probably gravel rash and hurt pride.

So, why don't you en-lighten all of us with your pool of knowledge. I am sure it won't take more than a paragraph.

"I ride a pushie and scooters and I know if I get hit by anything doing 40kph+, on 4 wheels or more, I will be spending a long time in hospital or a little earn on the wife's mantel piece."

No you don't know that, that's just 25mph, I've been riding bikes for 50yrs, including 350,000mls in 5yrs as a m/c courier in London. I've hit, and been hit, at much higher speeds than that and never even spent a night in hospital, car bonnets are amazingly pliant if you're wearing good gear.

What you can safely assume is, if you are hit by, or hit, totally non pliant things like bull bars at speeds of 25mph or more, you are going to break.

They should be banned worldwide, damaged vehicles are much less important than mangled, or dead bodies.

previously you claimed at 5mph or more there is a good chance of death with bullbar impact, now it is 25mph and you only be injured......

So which one is it, or is your bullbar phobia causing you to make up stories as you go along ?

previously you claimed at 5mph or more there is a good chance of death with bullbar impact, now it is 25mph and you only be injured......

So which one is it, or is your bullbar phobia causing you to make up stories as you go along ?

You realise that to dichotomise an argument is to create a fallacious one?

What ?

English Wilco, that is what is spoken here.

it seems your ability to recognise English on a par with your ability to recognise the dangers of bull-bars.

yeah I struggle wif dem big words. I understand the potential for danger with bullbars.

I also understand they will not maim and kill every man, woman and child that happens to walk within a 1km radius of one as well, unlike a few on here posting.

What ?

it seems your ability to recognise English on a par with your ability to recognise the dangers of bull-bars.

yeah I struggle wif dem big words. I understand the potential for danger with bullbars.

I also understand they will not maim and kill every man, woman and child that happens to walk within a 1km radius of one as well, unlike a few on here posting.

"they will not maim and kill every man, woman and child that happens to walk within a 1km radius of one" -no-one said that - so I stand by my original argument; you are still dichotomising and clearly don't understand either what your read or the arguments put forward and are unable to put forward a coherent response.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

"Bullbars are dangerous! if you can't understand that, so are you!" Do I have to repeat the old sAYING about assumptions? Oh.....I do! '“When dealing with critics always remember this: Critics judge things based on what is outside of their content of understanding.” '

Well Fasteddie, your've either got a four leaf clover in your lapel button or the lord rides with you.

I'd imagine that somewhere on the net there is factual information regarding how many pedestrians and cyclists are killed or injured each year in motor vehicle accidents...and if you drilled down into that accident data the accidents involving vehicles fitted with bullbars would be exposed. My guess is it wouldn't be that many in comparison to the total.

Well Fasteddie, your've either got a four leaf clover in your lapel button or the lord rides with you.

I'd imagine that somewhere on the net there is factual information regarding how many pedestrians and cyclists are killed or injured each year in motor vehicle accidents...and if you drilled down into that accident data the accidents involving vehicles fitted with bullbars would be exposed. My guess is it wouldn't be that many in comparison to the total.

Yeah been dead lucky, only a broken wrist, a couple of acres of gravel rash and a few stitches in 50yrs of often manic riding. One accident when I was couriering, a lorry side swiped me (on purpose) in to the back of a parked car, snapped the forks clean off my Revere and left me with one very swollen nut. Finally lost my nerve and had to give it up and move to vans. 120 seems fast enough on a bike these days now I'm a codger, and only back in the UK, definitely not in Thailand.

My guess is it wouldn't be that many in comparison to the total"

You don't seem to grasp how facile your post is. I'm sure there are stats and OF COURSE there won't be "that many" incidents with bull-bars as on a world-wide of national scale they represent only a part of vehicles involved in vehicle/pedestrian incidents. That isn't the comparison to make - the comparison is the extent of injuries compared to non-bull-barred cars.

If you follow the links on my earlier posts, you will find simple diagrams that explain how and why these bars are dangerous to pedestrians - why not check them out and get the full picture before posting the facile?

What ?

"they will not maim and kill every man, woman and child that happens to walk within a 1km radius of one"
-no-one said that - so I stand by my original argument; you are still dichotomising and clearly don't understand either what your read or the arguments put forward and are unable to put forward a coherent response.

You are clearly a clueless sheep just like that eddie guy.

EDIT. no idea why you were not qouted...... Thai visa might be run on software purchased "locally".

Edited by Spoonman

So, some college's opinion on bullbars..... wow.

This whole "Zomg, bullbars are killers and should be banned" debate has been ongoing in Australia for as long as I can recall and guess what, they are still allowed.

This whole "Zomg, bullbars are killers and should be banned" debate has been ongoing in Australia for as long as I can recall and guess what, they are still allowed.

Baaaaaaaaad Aussies.

Australia has been a major user of bull-bars, but they are also one of the worlds leading researchers into the effects of such devices.....and of course con tray to what Spoonman believes there is a lot of regulation as to what can be fitted and how.

The regulation verses from state to state...here are the S.A. regs....

Requirements

All bull bars fitted to vehicles manufactured on or after 1 July 2013 with a GVM of not more than 3.5 tonnes, must comply with the design and installation requirements of Australian Standard AS4876.1-2002 'Motor Vehicle Frontal Protection Systems Part 1- Road User Protection' (except clause 3.2).

This is consistent with the Road Traffic (Light Vehicle Standards) Rules 2013 made under the Road Traffic Act 1961.

In summary

• The profile of the bull bar should follow that of the vehicle in plan, side and front view, and not extend excessively beyond the side profile of the vehicle.
  • The bull bar must be designed and fitted so that the safety of the vehicle is not adversely affected.
  • It must be firmly and securely mounted and supported, and must not constitute a danger to other road users.
  • The bull bar and any fittings, hooks or attachments must not have any sharp edges, corners or protrusions. All exposed sections of the bull bar and fittings must be radiused and deburred.
  • The bull bar, together with its mountings and any winch or other equipment and fittings, must be taken into account for vehicle dimensions and shall not increase the overall width of the vehicle.

a cursory glance at many bars in Thailand will show that they don't comply with these regs.

for a motre extensive crit of b-bars read this...

https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/my+car/car+safety/safety+equipment/bull+bars/summary+of+the+australian+standard+for+bull+bars

or I'll repeat this one for Western Australia - http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/lbu_vs_ci_112.pdf

Spooman, just because you think it, doesn't mean it's right or even true! Why not do a little research before tapping those keys?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Yes they are regulated, your point is ? other than they are not illegal ?

-

I don't know why I bother but here goes...........you see, some bars ARE ILLEGAL, because they don't fit the regulations - (that means "laws") - in Thailand where the OP is intending to fit, no such regs exist, so the inherent dangers have been explained.

If you read the various articles you will enlighten yourself both to the dangers and the legal requirements to which most Thai bars don't conform.

no laws here = not illegal.... thanks for clarifying that fact.

It's like talking to a 4 year old having a tantrum.

Yeah, a 4 year old that has no desire to turn Thailand into a nanny state like back home.

Edited by Spoonman

no laws here = not illegal.... thanks for clarifying that fact.

It's like talking to a 4 year old having a tantrum.

Yeah, a 4 year old that has no desire to turn Thailand into a nanny state like back home.

mate, it's you who needs a nanny.

'It's like talking to a 4 year old having a tantrum', "mate, it's you who needs a nanny." They are uncalled for insults that aren't warranted. Just because other people have a different point of view doesn't give you the right to be abusive. And it has been pointed out there is no law regarding bullbars in Thailand. So, if you have an axe to grind in Australia or England regarding bullbars.....go there and grind away!

'It's like talking to a 4 year old having a tantrum', "mate, it's you who needs a nanny." They are uncalled for insults that aren't warranted. Just because other people have a different point of view doesn't give you the right to be abusive. And it has been pointed out there is no law regarding bullbars in Thailand. So, if you have an axe to grind in Australia or England regarding bullbars.....go there and grind away!

To be fair, the redneck started it, from one of his earlier gems,

Quote;

"You are clearly a clueless sheep just like that eddie guy"

To be fair, the redneck started it, from one of his earlier gems,

Quote;

"You are clearly a clueless sheep just like that eddie guy"

But you are a clueless sheep. You found a bandwagon you could jump on "ZOMG, think of the children, they will all be all killed at 5mph" and you jumped aboard with large amounts of butthurt.

I lol @ the redneck quip, kinda amusing considering I don't really get the whole 4x4 scene and off roading and bullbars and all that crap, but Iam not dumb enough to get all butthurt over something that is by your own admission legal.