Koh Tao murders: Night crime simulation at Sairee beach to look for clues

webfact

I used to work for a guy in the Uk who taught forensics for the Police in the UK, I must say all they seem to do in Thailand is stick on a pair of rubber gloves and off they go judging by the pictures?

More normal in the Uk is a full white suit and hat like a surgeon so as not to contaminate the crime scene.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things to clear up is that police said there was lipstick stain on one of the cigarette butt. If so does that match the victim? If not then DNA testing should be able to tell if DNA from the lipstick stain was from a women or male. Its lipstick stain was from a male suspect, it could be safe to assume a ladyboy may be involved.

If the lipstick stain was from the victim, it could be smeared on to the suspects mouth and passed on to the cig when he smoke after the rape..

Can't they tell from the DNA at least the race of the men depositing the semen? I know that can't narrow it down completely but I'm sure they could tell whether it came from an Asian or European. I don't know if they could distinguish between Thai and Myanmar...

Can't they tell from the DNA at least the race of the men depositing the semen? I know that can't narrow it down completely but I'm sure they could tell whether it came from an Asian or European. I don't know if they could distinguish between Thai and Myanmar...

No, it cannot.

Regarding the cigarettes (mentioned in all the threads) ...is it not possible, that they have nothing to do with the killer(s)?

There seems to be an assumption that the killer was a smoker and these were his cigs ...on a public beach where it seems tons of people may hang out and smoke and leave butts behind.

If they found a beer bottle on the beach, would they assume it was the killer's also?

If DNA on the bottle matched the semen in the girl, yes.

exactly !

A quote from Surat Thani police chief Kiattipong Khaosam-ang:

The semen DNA matched DNA found on the butt of an LM cigarette found beside a rock 30-50 metres from the crime scene .

Well, let's see here chief you're publicizing the brand of cigarettes that might have been discarded at the scene by the perpetrators. Now they can be sure to switch brands.

Face is the only driving force in Thailand, and it rears it ugly head here again.

This is not about solving the murders, it's all about saving face. They think they are showing us they know something. Instead, they are jeopardizing the case, and, before those of us who do know crime scene investigative procedures, making fools of themselves and therefore in fact losing face.

And if the police provided no details then you would say the lack of transparency is proof there is a cover-up.

The police are doing what police the world do--they are investigating a crime. Its a slow tedious process.

Why can't the members of this forum just let them do their job.

News flash folks. This is the real world. Its not CSI:Miami.

The case doesn't get closed in 50 minutes in real life.

I read in the BP that the cigarettes are LM brand. Rather unlikely, yet not impossible, to be smoked by poor people.

Well that brand doesn't exist in the UK. So unlikely to have been bought by British tourist.

Now this is definitely the most stupid assumption I ever heard,

with that mindset, you might qualify for a job by the BIB

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 2

They aren't capable, you know and I know. Who are capable here? They believed she was raped???????? Still not sure!!!!!!!

Only what they have are nice uniforms,a lot of stars and medals on it. And still thinking we're the best, and we have a high position.

They may not even tie my shoelaces, even that they can't.

Remember the words: Don't worry be happy!!!!!!!! (who said)

For me it seems, from all the news I have being reading about this, the more I fear this is going to be like all other farang crime.

Can't find the criminal. The longer time there go, there more the media forget about it, cause no news anymore.

Case solved

I hope I'm wrong

Edited by carstenp

Well this new BBC report is about as scathing as you can get away for a BBC reporter about the handling of this and other elements of the LOS: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29262496 and there is another where they say the police openly admit they don't know how many people were involved etc. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Edited by andyIslandMan
  • Like 2

By all accounts I have read, these were bright, friendly and outgoing rising-star Brits. They came here for a holiday and ended up dead.

It should be a new tourist poster in Britain --

"Spend Your Life In Thailand! But No Refunds, No Exchanges and Many Unhappy Returns!"

mad.gif

Maybe TAT will release their own version: "Don't Worry -- Be Happy! Bad Turns (reportedly) are Very Rare Here!"

Edited by FangFerang

Quote BBC article

"Evidence shows Ms Witheridge died from head wounds and Mr Miller died from severe blows to the head and drowning"

UN-Quote

Reading this you would not know the Female victim had her face and skull smashed with massive force.

The article was i agree for BBC very scathing considering this journalist is a known apologist for the Junta and elites of the Thailand .

I wish he was let off the chain and really said what he thinks-

That was tip of the proverbial Ice berg

Edited by Fred Flinstone

I'm tired. Do I remember in another thread that the cigarette had lipstick on it?

Does the DNA on the cigarette match the semen? Doesn't it say so?

Ladyboy?

Unlikely a Ladyboy would want to rape a Brit girl.

So what type of people would be inclined to rape?

Sociopaths...Plural, as more than one individual involved here...

A group of drunk men... Unlikely

People with little money...and sex starved.... More likely...

Well this new BBC report is about as scathing as you can get away for a BBC reporter about the handling of this and other elements of the LOS: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29262496 and there is another where they say the police openly admit they don't know how many people were involved etc. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Not nearly scathing enough when you consider the first thing the Thai government did was try and apportion blame to the victims and more than tarnish a young woman's reputation suggesting she was a loose woman, then try and pin it on other Britons having announced no Thai could have done this. Then blame tourists for wearing bikini's which had nothing to do with it, because Hannah wasn't.

Thai authorities are coming out of this looking quite awful. Som nam na as they say.

They <deleted> disgust me.

Today's Guardian has it the police are now looking for 'three Westerners playing guitar on the beach' http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/19/thailand-murders-hannah-witheridge-david-miller-police Because they just will not, for some reason or other, (given the BBC linked report's details of powerful Thai's on the island), fully investigate the indigenous population. I agree, disgusting.

Not nearly scathing enough when you consider the first thing the Thai government did was try and apportion blame to the victims and more than tarnish a young woman's reputation suggesting she was a loose woman, then try and pin it on other Britons having announced no Thai could have done this. Then blame tourists for wearing bikini's which had nothing to do with it, because Hannah wasn't.

Thai authorities are coming out of this looking quite awful. Som nam na as they say.

Today's Guardian has it the police are now looking for 'three Westerners playing guitar on the beach' http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/19/thailand-murders-hannah-witheridge-david-miller-police Because they just will not, for some reason or other, (given the BBC linked report's details of powerful Thai's on the island), fully investigate the indigenous population. I agree, disgusting.

I really hope the World is watching and comprehending.

• Like 1

I read in the BP that the cigarettes are LM brand. Rather unlikely, yet not impossible, to be smoked by poor people.

Well that brand doesn't exist in the UK. So unlikely to have been bought by British tourist.

LM brand is a firm favourite with the Scandis

Poor people WILL buy more expensive cigarettes when they go to a party , especially when westerners are there . Doesn't look nice with a 5 baht tobacco bag in their hands right ? But usually its Krong Thip not LM . LM ( pH. Morris, Phillipine ) cigarettes are little more expensive and not everywhere available. Foreigners who stay in Thailand for a long time are more likely to smoke it. This is my personal experience and not a statistic.

Edited by fayou

Sorry to post again so soon, but Scotland Yard would have locked down the island and solved this in 24 hours -- and that was if they were being lazy that day.

Not locking down the island speaks volumes -- and not volumes that are suitable for children.

AGH!

xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

I, literally, feel ill over this.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

All this brutal murdering, police ineptitude and PM "clumsiness" is impacting tourism despite what TAT tell us. My 2 kids (27 + 24) have cancelled their summer plans for Thailand and are instead off to Natal, Brasil where my son and I lived for a year or so. Beaches are far nicer, food is way better (if you like meat anyway) people are million times nicer and there's more to do plus without the chances of getting topped on a beach! Natal sits exactly on the equator so weather is fine with a nice sea breeze keeping the humidity at bay. Why would they not? My daughter (she's a teacher hence the great summer breaks etc) tells me a bunch of her mates from Uni are calling it a day with Thailand too. The British only make up a small percentage of the numbers and this won't stop the Russians or Chinese from visiting as they probably are not even aware of this but it still suck donkey's balls.

They make up a very decent wedge of the visitors. 800k maybe. I think with all this publicity it may well put people off.

There are so many more places to go these days, and why bother with somewhere where there hasn't been a positive bit of news for so long.

Check out this link from above BBC article's "More on this story" for more details

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29249129

One would think you would close off crime scene first have 2 to 3 officer's go over the area with fine tooth comb collect all evidence run test on same maybe do plaster casts of foot prints , dust for fingerprints on alleged murder weapon. check for any suspects even Thai's. Not make public what you found or only pieces of what you found. And No way would you do search in the dark can miss small details Idiots. But here is my take It must be a Thai who did murder, One leaving weapon at crime show's it was an impluse killing maybe by someone she shunned. Use of a hoe as a weapon shows person was enraged. Maybe do to lose of face Now farang gets rejected just go to next one Thai wanting white girl get reject loss of face. Besides how many farang here want white women? very few that's why were here want Thai ladies.

All this brutal murdering, police ineptitude and PM "clumsiness" is impacting tourism despite what TAT tell us. My 2 kids (27 + 24) have cancelled their summer plans for Thailand and are instead off to Natal, Brasil where my son and I lived for a year or so. Beaches are far nicer, food is way better (if you like meat anyway) people are million times nicer and there's more to do plus without the chances of getting topped on a beach! Natal sits exactly on the equator so weather is fine with a nice sea breeze keeping the humidity at bay. Why would they not? My daughter (she's a teacher hence the great summer breaks etc) tells me a bunch of her mates from Uni are calling it a day with Thailand too. The British only make up a small percentage of the numbers and this won't stop the Russians or Chinese from visiting as they probably are not even aware of this but it still suck donkey's balls.

what a load of rubbish! Brazil is 100X more dangerous than Thailand. i don't believe you lived there for a year or you would not have made that statement.

I sympathise with the police on this case. They are being forced to make statements before they know the facts, because of the world-wide readership of the case. They sound like the Malaysian PM during the MH370 aftermath....making a statement one day, only to retract it the next.

I am sure the hoe is the key. Find out where it was taken from and that might lead to many suspects. I wander if the man in the video is a witness, but too scared to come forward. He might not have his papers I doubt he would have run back and forth if he was doing the crime. A plea to him and garantee of his safety might help.