Can a Thai Citizen request for name to be removed from Tabien Baan

My son is a Thai Citizen with Permanent Residency in Singapore. My family and I do not intend to return to Thailand to stay, at least not in the next 10-20 years.

I am thinking if it would be legally possible to get his name removed from his mother's Tabien Baan in order for him to avoid military conscription in Thailand. Or are there specific exemptions from military service for overseas Thais like himself?

Would anyone be able to advice on my son's situation? Thanks!

Once registered their is no way I know of for a person to removed from the national registry other than denouncing their citizenship. It is not just a matter of having their name taken off of a house book.

If your child is not here when they are called for the draft there is no penalty. Once they reach the age of 30 they no longer are eligible for the draft.

You can request that the house owner remove him from the house book. He'll go onto a central registry is my understanding.

Might make it harder to renew Thai passports however, though not sure about this last point.

When you request removal of some one from your tabien baan, they will want to know whether the person is moving within the same district or to another district. From memory, if it is another district, they will send the papers there themselves, rather than give them to you. I am not sure whether moving overseas is an option. Perhaps you can fail to follow up in the other district and leave him in limbo but this could create its own problems. I don't know what happens, in the case the householder just reports that the person has moved away and they don't know where he went.

Some one needs to try to get a name off a tabien baan and let us know what happens. If you can go into a central registry for "homeless" people, that might pre-empt the draft because they would have no address to send the call up papers to.

For those living overseas, who are on a tabien baan, I think it is unlikely they will have problems by coming to Thailand on visits. They can always come in on their foreign passports from the age of 20 to 30 to reduce the chance of being traced. Problems I have heard of arose when the Thais in question came back and wanted to work in Thailand. For males the employer needs the military service exemption paper which you have to get from the army. I had one Thai employee who came back in his mid 20s after doing all his education in the US since the age of 16. While he was away his uncle had paid a bribe to get him off the draft but had not got his military exemption certificate. So he breezed into an army recruitment office confidently to get his paper and was grabbed for the draft because they said they had no record of his exemption. It quickly turned into an extortion/ negotiation session and the officers eventually emptied his wallet for him and promised him the paper which he did get. He came back to the office that badly shaken up after an ordeal of several hours.

• Like 1

On my wife's tabien baan is a boyfriend of hers from 40 years ago who died in the mid 70's. When they changed from the old paper tabien baan to the current booklet, they asked everyone to ensure that the names in the book reflected those living on the property, so my wife informed them that the man had died long ago.

She was told that they need either a death certificate or a new address, but nobody has a copy of the certificate, not even the amphur where the death was, presumably, registered, and his present whereabouts were uncertain, so the office was unable to remove him.

He remains eligible for each election. I assume that one day he may be named as Thailand's oldest living person.

Edited by delboy
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I would like to re-open this topic

My Stepson is still on his Grandmothers Tabien Baan ,Although he is now a British citizen and permanently lives here in Uk

Can his Grandmother have him removed ,with photo copy proof of his citizenship via passport and official letters from uk ??

To avoid the Army call up

I would like to re-open this topic

My Stepson is still on his Grandmothers Tabien Baan ,Although he is now a British citizen and permanently lives here in Uk

Can his Grandmother have him removed ,with photo copy proof of his citizenship via passport and official letters from uk ??

To avoid the Army call up

He could (if of age) revoke his Thai citizenship.

How old is your stepson ?

He is 14 at the moment .Our Concern is the implications of his Grandfather trying to remove him from the Ta bien Baan .he is actually registered as his son .because the father disappeared soon after birth

Check post number 2.

As I said when the boy is older he can, if he wishes renounce his Thai citizenship.

Nothing is gained by removing the boy from the house book if indeed that can be done.

Edited by nowretired

OK thanks ..

Will the Grandfather get into trouble if the Army comes looking for the boy and he no longer lives in the country ??

I have no idea but I doubt it He might though be in trouble for making false statements about being the child's father if that knowledge became known.

Best leave sleeping dogs to sleep...........

OK thanks ..

Will the Grandfather get into trouble if the Army comes looking for the boy and he no longer lives in the country ??

There is no need to renounce citizenship, as wrongly suggested above.

First, he needs to wait until of of drafting ages, things can change.

Second, he can be exonerated on the basis of no speaking Thai, or draft postponed because he's living abroad, or studying, and many other reasons.

Finally, parents and much less grandparents are NOT responsible for what their childrens do. And, the house registration means nothing, it's just mere bureaucracy in Thailand.

OK thanks ..

I have no idea but I doubt it He might though be in trouble for making false statements about being the child's father if that knowledge became known.

Best leave sleeping dogs to sleep...........

False statements about what? Paternity in Thailand is determined by mother's civil status at birth (plus or minus a number of months). If married, husband is the father, unless a court says otherwise. If not married, there is no legal father unless a legalization procedure is done.

Was speaking about this very subject a couple of weeks ago with a Thai friend of my girlfriend who is an Army administrator.

1. Thais cannot have their names removed from Tabian Baans, unless they renounce Thai citizenship.

That could have implications later on, so better to avoid as a last alternative.

2. The draft is a lottery and takes place every year between 2nd -5th April.

Certain citizens selected can be exempted for a number of reasons, such as;

Disabilities, medical issues.

Certain government workers, such as Police.

Students at full time University. (Although they have to take an educational course about the role of Police and Army)

Thais living abroad, studying or working.

Then of course there is the $$$$$ method to avoid drafting.