Should I apply for ED at home country or at Thailand's neighbouring countries?

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking a Thai language course for 1 year. I'm living in Turkey, and I called the Thai embassy in Ankara to get info. It looks like it also get very strict there afte the coup. If I understood correctly, they told me something like they are only giving ED visas if you are studying Thai for 6 hours a day. 6 hours seems a bit insane to me.

I'm thinking of applying to a normal school like Unity. Should I apply for it when I'm in Turkey and start the process at embassy here, or is it better to apply when I'm in Thailand and apply for ED visa at Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar or Malaysia?

Thanks

• Like 1

The only reason to get a ED visa before traveling is if you are from a country that cannot get visas at nearby embassies and consulates.

My suggestion is to get a single entry tourist visa . Arrive and then visit some schools before deciding on which one is best for you. Then go out for the ED visa.

In order to apply in Turkey you need documentation from the Ministry of Education in Thailand to submit with your visa application. If you were unsuccesful after submiting official documentation and registering with a language School I would be surprised. However, you could then arrive on a tourist visa preferably 60 days and then apply in Laos before that visa expires. You would be granted an initial 3 months which you can extend by 9 months in 3 month intervals without further need to leave the country. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

I was declined twice in nearby country... (couple weeks ago) I can speak/read/write thai and unlike many others I was studying in real school which I attend 3 times per week... It's better to go to your local consulate IMHO, try to justify that you really want to learn language. The easiest question you will be asked: why do you want to learn?

If you want only visa then apply for thai box (if you are not old), it allows you to stay up to 3 years, no need to study language, plus you will improve your half.

Edited by GertrudeL

I was declined twice in nearby country... (couple weeks ago) I can speak/read/write thai and unlike many others I was studying in real school which I attend 3 times per week... It's better to go to your local consulate IMHO, try to justify that you really want to learn language. The easiest question you will be asked: why do you want to learn?

Where you was denied? What was you paperwork ?

If you want only visa then apply for thai box (if you are not old), it allows you to stay up to 3 years, no need to study language, plus you will improve your half.

Is this you direct information (I don't think it is)? What would the training academy? Where the visa was applied, which type and with which paperwork ?

paz - as you know Cambodia is not an option any more. I was suggested to go to Laos but again, there is a rule - if you cannot stay in that country without visa, then there is high chance that your documents will not be even accepted. I contacted couple of companies (big enough) as it seems the best way, join a group to get positive reply, but they told me that there is no guarantee at all as I need visa for Lao (they called Laos).

The only option I had left was Vietnam - I have been in HCM and HN, both declined. Despite the fact I called them in advance, they give me no information in advance. I even scanned all my documents (as they asked) but consulate never replied... (for what they use email, I have no clue) They told me that I must come in person (it was a trick, you will understand shortly). When I came and spoke on thai, showed that I can even write (which rare) they ask me to wait and come up with decline after 15 minutes. I hardly managed to get explanation from lady on a 'reception' (I even had a statement from bank for my last month expenses, which is more than enough even for Australia) she told me that documents are OK but they called BKK and they told them 'do NOT give'... At first I blamed my nationality but the british guy just in front of me came out with the same negative answer...

I asked consulate for 5 minute interview but they refuse... IMHO it was rude, they make me fly and spend 300USD and they cannot even spend 5!!! minutes of their time...

Why it was a trick? They wanted me to cancel my current ED visa... but I decided to do reentry before leaving, just in case... :) So I came back with my old visa which I luckily got week before all that new rules come out... I wanted to change it since there are no more 3 + 12 month visa (or one year), and one year in my case is counted from the first day of my entrance... So I still have ~7months left (3 first ED and 2 first tourist). I hope they will change the rules again by the time I will need one, however I am thinking to move... I do not feel that Thailand treats me good enough, for a money I am spending here. They seem want my money without me hahaha

As for thai box - there are three possible ED visas: thai, english and thai box. Each language gives you 3 year stay and thai box - 2. I have no clue why nobody tried to applied for that type of ED visa... It's easiest as it's hard to check your ed level in subject at immigration in airport.

p.s. recently I was tested ALL the time in airport (both local, international) for actually studying... I know some who where warned not to return with ED visa, which from their point of view was a fake (since they do not really study).

Edited by GertrudeL

paz - as you know Cambodia is not an option any more. I was suggested to go to Laos but again, there is a rule - if you cannot stay in that country without visa, then there is high chance that your documents will not be even accepted. I contacted couple of companies (big enough) as it seems the best way, join a group to get positive reply, but they told me that there is no guarantee at all as I need visa for Lao (they called Laos).

No, that is not correct. Everybody except Thais need a visa for Laos. It is obtained on arrival at the border. Second, Laos either Vientane or Savannakhet have no problem in issuing non-imm ED visa if you have the correct paperwork from the school.

The only option I had left was Vietnam - I have been in HCM and HN, both declined. Despite the fact I called them in advance, they give me no information in advance. I even scanned all my documents (as they asked) but consulate never replied... (for what they use email, I have no clue) They told me that I must come in person (it was a trick, you will understand shortly). When I came and spoke on thai, showed that I can even write (which rare) they ask me to wait and come up with decline after 15 minutes. I hardly managed to get explanation from lady on a 'reception' (I even had a statement from bank for my last month expenses, which is more than enough even for Australia) she told me that documents are OK but they called BKK and they told them 'do NOT give'... At first I blamed my nationality but the british guy just in front of me came out with the same negative answer...

I asked consulate for 5 minute interview but they refuse... IMHO it was rude, they make me fly and spend 300USD and they cannot even spend 5!!! minutes of their time...

Sorry but Vietnam was not a good choice. Recommended and popular choices are Laos, Penang Malaysia, Phnom Pen or even Yangoon.

As for thai box - there are three possible ED visas: thai, english and thai box. Each language gives you 3 year stay and thai box - 2. I have no clue why nobody tried to applied for that type of ED visa... It's easiest as it's hard to check your ed level in subject at immigration in airport.

study).

I think that Muai Thai for ED visa or extension of stay is more a myth than anything. I could have worked in the past, but I don't think it does anymore. There is only one academy in Bangkok that advertises as such, but zero report here about anybody actually getting it.

No, that is not correct. Everybody except Thais need a visa for Laos. It is obtained on arrival at the border. Second, Laos either Vientane or Savannakhet have no problem in issuing non-imm ED visa if you have the correct paperwork from the school.

How old is your information? When the last time a person you know get a visa in Cambodia? (since end of July everything changed, there was 3 wave of changes) As for Lao - I have information from person who knows people in both: immigration in BKK and thai consulate in Laos. Both sources confirmed that I may NOT get ED visa in Lao and Cambodia for sure not an option.

Sorry but Vietnam was not a good choice. Recommended and popular choices are Laos, Penang Malaysia, Phnom Pen or even Yangoon.

I select Vietnam also for another reason... this year I already got 3 moth tourist visa from them without any problem (I lived in Vietnam for a long time). I was hoping that will also help... Unfortunately I do not know anyone who ever got visa in Malaysia... may be next time I will try...

What I really do not understand - why I learned language if I cannot even stay here and spend my savings?

Edited by GertrudeL

How old is your information? When the last time a person you know get a visa in Cambodia? (since end of July everything changed, there was 3 wave of changes) As for Lao - I have information from person who knows people in both: immigration in BKK and thai consulate in Laos. Both sources confirmed that I may NOT get ED visa in Lao and Cambodia for sure not an option.

Posted today

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/753274-recieved-my-ed-visa

There are many other reports too.

Most people fort central an north regions goes to Vientane or Savannakhet, without a problem.

In the south, Penang also works well.

Edited by paz

• 2 weeks later...

Well after all, it looks like I need to apply for ED visa in Turkey. I have contacted Pro Language School, and they told me that Turkey is classified a a middle eastern country. So we need to apply in our home country, and we also need a criminal check. Turkey is generally classified as a European country, I don't know why Thai government decided that we are middle-eastern. Unfortunately many Turks in Thailand are in the business of credit card fraud, maybe that's why they require a criminal check now.

Well after all, it looks like I need to apply for ED visa in Turkey. I have contacted Pro Language School, and they told me that Turkey is classified a a middle eastern country. So we need to apply in our home country, and we also need a criminal check. Turkey is generally classified as a European country, I don't know why Thai government decided that we are middle-eastern. Unfortunately many Turks in Thailand are in the business of credit card fraud, maybe that's why they require a criminal check now.

You need to contact the consulates directly, what the school thinks doesn't matter.