Scottish referendum: Salmond to quit after Scots vote No

Lite Beer

Scottish referendum: Salmond to quit after Scots vote No

GLASGOW: -- Alex Salmond is to step down as Scottish first minister after voters rejected independence.

He will also resign as leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), which he has led for a total of 20 years.

Scottish voters backed the country staying in the UK by 2,001,926 votes to 1,617,989 in Thursday's referendum.

Three arrests have been made after rival Union and independence supporters gathered in George Square in the centre of Glasgow.

Police, including officers on horseback, had to separate the two groups.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said there were about 100 people in each of the two groups, and although there had been some "minor disorder" it had been dealt with quickly, with no arrests so far. The square was closed to traffic with local diversions in place.

The square had hosted a party by "Yes" supporters ahead of the referendum.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29277527

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-20

Thanks to Alex Salmond there will be big changes - even though Scotland lost the vote.

Enjoy your "retirement" - you've earned it ! thumbsup.gif

The "YES" voters for independence have lost their case, but since they are almost half the size of the Scottish voters (45%) matters have to be sorted in some way.

10. Downing Street, and Westminster, are pleased that Scotland will stay within the UK, but Westminster will change political matters about Scotland in order to ensure that problems that might be caused by the large sized "YES" voters will not begin and continue.

When those political changes will have taken place in order to give Scotland some "independence" then > Wales and Nth/Ireland < will ask for the same political freedom.

As a result of this, Scotland, Wales, and Nth/Ireland will no longer be allowed by Westminster to decide political matters about England and that will be positive decision for the English population.

• Like 1

Thanks to Alex Salmond there will be big changes - even though Scotland lost the vote.

Enjoy your "retirement" - you've earned it ! thumbsup.gif

The "YES" voters for independence have lost their case, but since they are almost half the size of the Scottish voters (45%) matters have to be sorted in some way.

10. Downing Street, and Westminster, are pleased that Scotland will stay within the UK, but Westminster will change political matters about Scotland in order to ensure that problems that might be caused by the large sized "YES" voters will not begin and continue.

When those political changes will have taken place in order to give Scotland some "independence" then > Wales and Nth/Ireland < will ask for the same political freedom.

As a result of this, Scotland, Wales, and Nth/Ireland will no longer be allowed by Westminster to decide political matters about England and that will be positive decision for the English population.

and I assume that if the vote had gone the other way as predicted at one point 52% to 48% that the other group would have been afforded something ?

exactly why the whole thing was flawed from the start

The evil Salmond has lost and the stupid people that listened to the absolute nothing he has said for the last 2 years should now move on - he answered nothing and offered nothing except insults and abuse to those that asked reaching questions he couldn't answer or didn't want to answer

His legacy will be that he started a division within the Scotish people which I hope in time they will rise above

It's somewhat ironic that it took an advocate of Scottish Independence to force Westminster into resolving English matters ;)

The people who comment about the "divisions" in Scotland are obviously not resident or they would know that every community or nation has "divisions" but the 2 sides can be good friends -- as Scotland and England are ;)

I bet Gordon Brown is crying into his breakfast :'(

Salmond was the Dr Evil to his Austin Powers. A brother (shit, spoilers!), a compatriot, and an arch enemy to be chased into the ground.

Salmond V Brown in 2016 was set to be a titanic battle for labour. Brown is best unfettered and without focus groups telling him how to be a normal human being. He's clearly not a normal human being. He's an asocial tower of rage and fury. Salmond is in many ways like him: the T-1000 sent from the future to go back to the past and do sums. He's a bit more human of course because he's a cheeky scamp who likes to cause a bit of mischief. Unlike Brown, his programming likely got scrambled in the time-jump making his AI think he actually was a real boy.

But Sturgeon? Common touch, left wing, sincere, diplomatic... she's Brown's kryptonite and he will know it. His comeback might be scuppered before it even begins.

Edited by inutil
  • Like 1

I bet Gordon Brown is crying into his breakfast :'(

Salmond was the Dr Evil to his Austin Powers. A brother (shit, spoilers!), a compatriot, and an arch enemy to be chased into the ground.

Salmond V Brown in 2016 was set to be a titanic battle for labour. Brown is best unfettered and without focus groups telling him how to be a normal human being. He's clearly not a normal human being. He's an asocial tower of rage and fury. Salmond is in many ways like him: the T-1000 sent from the future to go back to the past and do sums. He's a bit more human of course because he's a cheeky scamp who likes to cause a bit of mischief. Unlike Brown, his programming likely got scrambled in the time-jump making his AI think he actually was a real boy.

But Sturgeon? Common touch, left wing, sincere, diplomatic... she's Brown's kryptonite and he will know it. His comeback might be scuppered before it even begins.

Salmond has lead Scotland for 7 years, and led the SNP for 20 years -- not many politicans come anywhere close to that record. Apart from a general dislike of politics in general, one can not but admire his ability. He's done a come-back before -- maybe he'll do it again ;)

Meantime we're waiting to hear what Gordon Brown will be saying next - having dropped Westminster into the vat of boiling oil that is called DevoMax :)

• Like 1

What i like about his resignation is that it suggests two things:

1. What i just wrote about - him screwing labour out of regaining their lost votes by falling on his sword (note to Little Englanders of the forum: his decision had nothing to do with losing the election, it was about consolidating the gains the SNP had made in formerly impenetrable labour strongholds).

2, What you just wrote - he'll be back, but in the same role that Brown played in this one. As soon as the next referendum comes (assuming labour and the tories put devo max on the back benches, its more a when, not if), he'll be out there making the case but as the elder statesman rather than the firebrand leader. It will be more effective for it.

Salmond is a brilliantly strategic thinker. He's a step ahead of the game almost all the time. He looked ragged in that last week. But until Brown stepped in with a positive vision, he was barely breaking a sweat. In fact it was just the sheer effort of mobilising a grassroots campaign that did him in. But the networks are now there and the infrastructure is built. He will have learned a lot and he will take it on board for round 2 when he comes back.

On that third point: Brown and Devo max. Again. I really think Brown wound them up a bit. He had his eyes right on one thing: a national left of center social democratic labour government in the UK. The frenzy of the Little Englanders on this forum for greater powers for England must be music to his ears. You cant make an omelette... England already has all the say in the economic direction of this country... and theyre actually agreeing to devolution and putting in place the mechanisms for the diffusion of power? Its hilarious watching them think this is in England's (well, the South East of England's) benefit. Long may they keep at it. The south east in its ire on the west loathian question and the Barnett formula are sacrificing their queen (westminster and south east controlled politics) for the sake of a couple of pawns. To do it they have to talk about the deprivation IN ENGLAND created by Westminster government policy which will only foster the resentment the North East already has for Westminster politics. Its so self-destructive, youd have to be incredibly stupid to fall for it. And they are. Again, Brown, a step ahead.

Edited by inutil

What i like about his resignation is that it suggests two things:

1. What i just wrote about - him screwing labour out of regaining their lost votes by falling on his sword (note to Little Englanders of the forum: his decision had nothing to do with losing the election, it was about consolidating the gains the SNP had made in formerly impenetrable labour strongholds).

2, What you just wrote - he'll be back, but in the same role that Brown played in this one. As soon as the next referendum comes (assuming labour and the tories put devo max on the back benches, its more a when, not if), he'll be out there making the case but as the elder statesman rather than the firebrand leader. It will be more effective for it.

Salmond is a brilliantly strategic thinker. He's a step ahead of the game almost all the time. He looked ragged in that last week. But until Brown stepped in with a positive vision, he was barely breaking a sweat. In fact it was just the sheer effort of mobilising a grassroots campaign that did him in. But the networks are now there and the infrastructure is built. He will have learned a lot and he will take it on board for round 2 when he comes back.

laugh.png ..............facepalm.gif ..................laugh.png . You can't be serious..........blink.png

How did Salmonds seat vote, was it YES or NO........?

Thats weird, i thought this was a referendum on scottish independence, and not in fact a scottish parliament election. Pop back in 2016 and ask me the same question if you like. Since youre asking though, im farily certain theyll want to keep him.

Edited by inutil

Salmond can retire and wait to see what happens next. He will never give up - only pause and watch how the cards fall in the next year or so. If Westminster are not seen as delivering on the promises recently made -- regardless of who's in power -- expect more independence rumblings.

I saw an interesting comment that blamed the pensioners in Scotland for tipping the vote into a NO, but I haven't been able to substantiate it. It might explain why Salmond extended the age limit downwards. If the same happens next time the YES result should be more achieveable.

Indeed - it's not "...if..." it's only "...when..." :)

Meantime Catalonia will have resolved the methods of becoming independent and getting into the EU :)

Salmond can retire and wait to see what happens next. He will never give up - only pause and watch how the cards fall in the next year or so. If Westminster are not seen as delivering on the promises recently made -- regardless of who's in power -- expect more independence rumblings.

I saw an interesting comment that blamed the pensioners in Scotland for tipping the vote into a NO, but I haven't been able to substantiate it. It might explain why Salmond extended the age limit downwards. If the same happens next time the YES result should be more achieveable.

Indeed - it's not "...if..." it's only "...when..." smile.png

Meantime Catalonia will have resolved the methods of becoming independent and getting into the EU smile.png

Hmmmmm, and all the African seminars by YES sales folk didn't help either.

Meantime Catalonia will have resolved the methods of becoming independent and getting into the EU smile.png

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?biggrin.png

Indeed it is -- but the general population are sheep and need a leader to tell them where to go. The problem these days is that there's far too many "leaders". Look at Wales with it's assembly, Westminster and EU all pulling in significantly different directions. A layer need to be removed, and the most irrelevant layer is Westminster. :)

• Like 1

What was the cost of all this?

I sure hospitals and schools facing cut-backs will understand all the money spent and achieving very little.

sad.png

Did you know that there are actually more departments in westminster than just health and education?

Yes but I did not think it would be necessary to list them all coffee1.gif

I was actually thinking more of the Scottish teachers and nurses, and all other Scottish workers to numerous to mention, as I hope that Scotland footed the bill for this nonsense.

blink.png

Of course it was. Every poll had the over 65s stubbornly stuck around 3-1 in favour of the union. Thats why the better together campaign kept banging the pension drum. For salmond the only likely movement was from core labour support. Its why i kept banging on about the west coast labour supporter. They really did hold the cards in this. And thats why he kept banging on about protecting the NHS and getting shot of westminster austerity.

Its why i think Gordon Browns intervention WAS so crucial. Without it, the Yes campaign were approaching a tipping point of labour support deciding that any change was better than none. Browns push on devo max with the three main parties gave them another choice. Though they dont believe it, they also likely didnt believe the vision salmond was painting either, and given the choice between a radical vision that risked everything versus a minor change with little risk, they went for the latter... obviously, because people are risk averse. That so many went with the former though does beg the logical question that if people are risk averse then why would they even contemplate this leap into the abyss? And this is the question Westminster has to address properly for the sake of democracy THROUGHOUT the UK.

Edited by inutil

Of course it was. Every poll had the over 65s stubbornly stuck around 3-1 in favour of the union. Thats why the better together campaign kept banging the pension drum. For salmond the only likely movement was from core labour support. Its why i kept banging on about the west coast labour supporter. They really did hold the cards in this. And thats why he kept banging on about protecting the NHS and getting shot of westminster austerity.

Its why i think Gordon Browns intervention WAS so crucial. Without it, the Yes campaign were approaching a tipping point of labour support deciding that any change was better than none. Browns push on devo max with the three main parties gave them another choice. Though they dont believe it, they also likely didnt believe the vision salmond was painting either, and given the choice between a radical vision that risked everything versus a minor change with little risk, they went for the latter... obviously, because people are risk averse. That so many went with the former though does beg the logical question that if people are risk averse then why would they even contemplate this leap into the abyss? And this is the question Westminster has to address properly for the sake of democracy THROUGHOUT the UK.

Oh - come on ;) Tell all :) It can't be any more ludicrous than a lot of the other rantings in here -- my own not excepted !! :)

• Like 1

What was the cost of all this?

I sure hospitals and schools facing cut-backs will understand all the money spent and achieving very little.

sad.png

Did you know that there are actually more departments in westminster than just health and education?

Yes but I did not think it would be necessary to list them all coffee1.gif

I was actually thinking more of the Scottish teachers and nurses, and all other Scottish workers to numerous to mention, as I hope that Scotland footed the bill for this nonsense.

blink.png

Well of course not, because then you might hit on something that the scottish labour supporter probably doesnt want to pay for. So it goes. We all have shit that taxes end up paying for that we dont want. But thats not how taxation works of course :)

Further, referendums are in integral part of any democratic nation. Not to mention that a great deal of this was paid for through donations. The cost will be marginal, and the conservative/lib majority government agreed to the structure and funding of it. So you know, vote THEM out if you think they wasted your money.

Edited by inutil

Not surprised to see him go, if the vote had gone the other way, Would Cameron, Miliband & and Clegg not considered their future too???

He was saying had they won, that Westminster, The EU and NATO would have given him everything he wanted on his terms...

He was saying had they won, that Westminster, The EU and NATO would have given him everything he wanted on his terms...

Hmmmmmmmm, if the electorate had "known" that before the vote, the vote might have been very different.

Salmond "salesman" talk, sell you a bike with square wheels..