Building a new PC - but don't want to visit every shop in Pantip

bkknow

I just bought a new system just so I could run the new Wolfenstein game, as I'm sick of waiting for HL3.

My 4-year-old system, core2 quad 2.83 Ghz just didn't cut the mustard.

I bought an Asus Z97 motherboard to accomodate an I7 4790k cpu, and an Asus GTX 760 graphics card just good enough to run the game.

I used 4x4 Gb Kingston 1600 DDR3 ram as it was all I could find in the tukcom at the time.

I then needed at least a 750W psu so I went for a Corsiar tower, full atx case and Corsair 750W psu.

I'm impressed with the space inside the large case and the almost silent, large cooling fans.

I've had no problems with cooling, even with no aircon, and the computer runs 24-7.

The game is great, you can download it free on steam, and pay for the steam key online. (I used ebay £18)

Is invade it sponsor here ? because it's so expensive that I even wonder why anybody would buy anything there except the stupid ?

Wow, positive. I mostly buy from the shops in IT Square, Laksi, Pantip and Fortune. However recently I had to buy a router that nobody locally had stocked. Sunday afternoon Thomas answered a question about firmware numbers. I ordered, paid and received the product Tuesday morning. The price was competitive, the delivery was on time, the item was well packaged and Thomas added value. You shoudn't just focus on price....it really isn't everything.

I just bought a new system just so I could run the new Wolfenstein game, as I'm sick of waiting for HL3.

My 4-year-old system, core2 quad 2.83 Ghz just didn't cut the mustard.

I bought an Asus Z97 motherboard to accomodate an I7 4790k cpu, and an Asus GTX 760 graphics card just good enough to run the game.

I used 4x4 Gb Kingston 1600 DDR3 ram as it was all I could find in the tukcom at the time.

I then needed at least a 750W psu so I went for a Corsiar tower, full atx case and Corsair 750W psu.

I'm impressed with the space inside the large case and the almost silent, large cooling fans.

I've had no problems with cooling, even with no aircon, and the computer runs 24-7.

The game is great, you can download it free on steam, and pay for the steam key online. (I used ebay £18)

That space is very important heading into the future!

Is invade it sponsor here ? because it's so expensive that I even wonder why anybody would buy anything there except the stupid ?

To be fair, some items are priced competitively, while others not so, sometimes by big margins.

I had been hunting for a VGA card recently, and when scanning the prices, I noticed invadeit price patterns were rather odd. I was looking for a radeon 7850, and they were 40% more expensive.

But another day I looked for a router, and I was surprised to see that invadeIT was cheaper, as well as on many other products, such as NAS, monitors, etc.

I got all the parts today and I'm building the system as we speak.

STAY AWAY FROM J.I.B.!!! Although I got all my parts there I will never set foot in that store again. The staff is extremely uninterested and technically unqualified.

I had a good experience 4 years ago when I bought a laptop but their service has gone downhill.

Their website showed they had all the stuff available so I went to the largest store on the 3rd floor.

I walked to some guy standing behind the counter but didn't receive any acknowledgement of my presence. After 30 seconds I said, good morning, can I please have a copy of your pricelist like the one shown on the counter? "No have!" And he turned his head back to the screen on the counter. I then said, I'd like to buy some parts, his reply "huh!!?".... I got annoyed by his behavior and walked away, all the other staff seemed to be uninterested as well.

Annoyed but still wanting to get my parts ASAP I tried another J.I.B. outlet, there I got the same kind of responseso just showed them my list and said I want this. 5 minutes later I walked out with all the parts.

They were unable to communicate in English and had no technical skills whatsoever.

Still needing a case and not liking what I saw at J.I.B. I decided to take a look at jedi or something? It's the store on the first floor specialized in higher end parts and overclocking.

The guys there were knowledgeable, spoke decent English and even checked if my stuff was compatible. A day and night difference in service from J.I.B. crapstore.

They even brought the case and some other stuff I bought to my car in the parking garage.

Edited by bkknow

I got all the parts today and I'm building the system as we speak.

STAY AWAY FROM J.I.B.!!! Although I got all my parts there I will never set foot in that store again. The staff is extremely uninterested and technically unqualified.

I had a good experience 4 years ago when I bought a laptop but their service has gone downhill.

Their website showed they had all the stuff available so I went to the largest store on the 3rd floor.

I walked to some guy standing behind the counter but didn't receive any acknowledgement of my presence. After 30 seconds I said, good morning, can I please have a copy of your pricelist like the one shown on the counter? "No have!" And he turned his head back to the screen on the counter. I then said, I'd like to buy some parts, his reply "huh!!?".... I got annoyed by his behavior and walked away, all the other staff seemed to be uninterested as well.

Annoyed but still wanting to get my parts ASAP I tried another J.I.B. outlet, there I got the same kind of responseso just showed them my list and said I want this. 5 minutes later I walked out with all the parts.

They were unable to communicate in English and had no technical skills whatsoever.

Still needing a case and not liking what I saw at J.I.B. I decided to take a look at jedi or something? It's the store on the first floor specialized in higher end parts and overclocking.

The guys there were knowledgeable, spoke decent English and even checked if my stuff was compatible. A day and night difference in service from J.I.B. crapstore.

They even brought the case and some other stuff I bought to my car in the parking garage.

LOL

When I went to JIB, I had a list too... there were a couple of "no hab", the girls replaced these items with alternatives, one being even better and cheaper than the one I had on the list, 555.

Then a guy took everything to the backroom and 45 mins later I walked away with my computer :)

The system is running fine and well.
The CPU however gets a bit too warm, around 50 - 53 degrees celcius with the intel stock cooler. Like draftvader already mentioned the system needs a better CPU cooler. The ones I've seen have are a bit too loud to my liking so my search continues.

Edited by bkknow

The system is running fine and well.

The CPU however gets a bit too warm, around 50 - 53 degrees celcius with the intel stock cooler. Like draftvader already mentioned the system needs a better CPU cooler. The ones I've seen have are a bit too loud to my liking so my search continues.

Why is 53 degress too warm ?

Many CPUs have operation temps of up to 90 degress celsius, what are the specs on yours?

I have a 4590 that stays on 39-40 degrees most of the time. My hard disks run at 32-34 degrees with a 180mm fan blowing over them.

I use this budget cooler as I felt the Intel stock cooler might be nosier than I would like. It's not silent but fine for my use.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/11487/38/CPU-COOLER-XIGMATEK-GAIA-II

As mentioned earlier, this is a very popular choice if you don't want to spend a bundle, however it would have been a tight fit for my case so I went with the cheaper option. Similar design.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/11607/38/CPU-COOLER-MASTER-HYPER-212-EVO

• 4 months later...

The temperature stays between 37 and 41 degrees celcius when idle or doing simple office tasks / browsing.

It's with gaming when the temperature ups to 50-53 degrees

I wonder how much it will drop with a better cooler. The stockcooler is doing a fine job though.