UK pay as you go SIM

PiPiFFS

As I recall the SIM cards are expensive at the vending machines at Heathrow for example.

Definitely better to pop into a newsagents or a place like WH Smiths.

Depending on time and need, most supermarkets sell them too, though not located in the airports.

Edited by WhamBam

I can confirm 99p a SIM. If it's a dual SIM phone neither Vodafone or Orange 3G services work.

I just ordered a Giff Gaff SIM (free) as people have suggested the 3G works with dual SIM phones.

No paperwork or ID required to get a SIM.

I always pick up a SIM from Carphone Warehouse, they are scattered throughout the country, and they stock every card under the sun, you can check there range on their website before you arrive http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims/pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-sims

I do agree that the vending machines at the airport have a very limited range and are expensive.

I can confirm 99p a SIM. If it's a dual SIM phone neither Vodafone or Orange 3G services work.

I just ordered a Giff Gaff SIM (free) as people have suggested the 3G works with dual SIM phones.

No paperwork or ID required to get a SIM.

GiffGaff are great for overseas calls too. They are one of the cheapest on the UK market for that.

But, yes, you do need to order one. If you have a UK address and can wait until you get to that address for a Sim card they are good value for money. Work based on the O2 network.

3p per minute to call Thailand. To both mobile and land lines.

Text to Thailand 8p

http://giffgaff.com/index/international

Go to lebara.com they will send you a free sim, with cheap calls back to thailand, and an amount of free data, off course once you credit money to it

Lebara all the way...any Carphone Warehouse, phones 4U etc will stock them. Free only need to add credit....normally 20 pounds get you a free 5 pounds also...cost 9 pence a minute to Thailand.

Go to lebara.com they will send you a free sim, with cheap calls back to thailand, and an amount of free data, off course once you credit money to it

Lebara all the way...any Carphone Warehouse, phones 4U etc will stock them. Free only need to add credit....normally 20 pounds get you a free 5 pounds also...cost 9 pence a minute to Thailand.

Agree with all of this except that Phones4U are no longer trading By the time you get to UK they might be re-opened as Dixons Carphone - this article and the links within explain http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29236432

Edited by VBF

Most corner shops will sell SIM cards, the most popular are LYCA and LEBARA. I use Lebara and you call Thailand direct at a very cheap rate, have a look on their website. www.lebara.com or .co.uk cant remember, calls from Lebara to Lebara numbers are free.

Agree with two posters above who recommended Giffgaff. I've used them for my last four visits, even kept the same number. They sell "Goody Bags" and you can buy the one which suits. I bough the GBP12 one which gives unlimited 3G, unlimited UK texts and 250 minutes to any UK phone. You may need to add a bit of cash top up as well for any overseas calls.