Mongoloid Same Same Farang Chai Mai?

Gringogazzer

Gringo was a term used by the Spanish for people of Irish descent mainly because of their accent they had trouble getting round the Spainish language.

Their vocal skills, not their race.

Apparently mongoloid is a valid & non offensive term but when used in the same fashion as Farang, you & me know it's offensive...why.

Why do we not then take offence & justify other people's exact offensiveness.

Do we hold ourselves to higher standards or are we above being insulted.

Some friends of my wife who are comfortable enough to be honest with me when talking about issues on here simply say "farang stupid"

I agree, in part.

We all know Gringo means white non-latino. In the UK everyone says they're going down the Paki shop. Scots are Jocks, Irish are Micks or Paddys. English are Limeys or Poms. Welsh are Taffs. French Frogs, Germans Krauts and they call the Brits Le Rost Boueff and Island Monkeys. Americans Yanks.

Thais can call me Falung all day long no problem.

They say Falung stupid because lots of them buy cars and houses for numbskulls.

But that well educated Asian person who understands being referred to by their racial ethnicity is offensive then has no quarms about referring to others by their racial ethnicity because why?

It's just the way it is, has been?

You mean this is another "Farang" thread? There are 78,000 post about Farang on Thai Visa. It gives "getting old" a new meaning in repetition. I'm all for free speech but there have been thousands of threads about Farang supposedly being insulted by being called Farang; can't you look at them?

At first I thought it was a, "lets post definitions of words that I learned in 8th grade in 1930 that have now changed" thread. But upon reading your post I realize it's another, "I'm new to Thailand, don't speak Thai, and have just discovered Thais call me Farang" thread.

Most of the newby intellectual lightweights go through a similar thought pattern and Thai Visa is a good place to check out the reality of your new found quandary and indeed Thai Visa has answered your question, "http://www.thaivisa.com/558-0.html

Read the OP...Or don't.

But that well educated Asian person who understands being referred to by their racial ethnicity is offensive then has no quarms about referring to others by their racial ethnicity because why?

You mean this is another "Farang" thread? There are 78,000 post about Farang on Thai Visa. It gives "getting old" a new meaning in repetition. I'm all for free speech but there have been thousands of threads about Farang supposedly being insulted by being called Farang; can't you look at them?

At first I thought it was a, "lets post definitions of words that I learned in 8th grade in 1930 that have now changed" thread. But upon reading your post I realize it's another, "I'm new to Thailand, don't speak Thai, and have just discovered Thais call me Farang" thread.

Most of the newby intellectual lightweights go through a similar thought pattern and Thai Visa is a good place to check out the reality of your new found quandary and indeed Thai Visa has answered your question, "http://www.thaivisa.com/558-0.html

Read the OP...Or don't.

I read it and at best it is offensive and should have been removed. But that's just my opinion. I see no value in discussing a word that the scientific community discarded years ago to rage on about the Farang word that the only people it insults are newbys to Thailand who have not got a clue yet about it's meaning. It doesn't take a brain trust to use the search function and find 78,000 references to the SOS that you are flinging now.

Gringo was a term used by the Spanish for people of Irish descent mainly because of their accent they had trouble getting round the Spainish language.

Their vocal skills, not their race.

Apparently mongoloid is a valid & non offensive term but when used in the same fashion as Farang, you & me know it's offensive...why.

Why do we not then take offence & justify other people's exact offensiveness.

Do we hold ourselves to higher standards or are we above being insulted.

Some friends of my wife who are comfortable enough to be honest with me when talking about issues on here simply say "farang stupid"

I agree, in part.

We all know Gringo means white non-latino. In the UK everyone says they're going down the Paki shop. Scots are Jocks, Irish are Micks or Paddys. English are Limeys or Poms. Welsh are Taffs. French Frogs, Germans Krauts and they call the Brits Le Rost Boueff and Island Monkeys. Americans Yanks.

Thais can call me Falung all day long no problem.

They say Falung stupid because lots of them buy cars and houses for numbskulls.

All bar the Paki (which is offensive) are Caucasian, farang.

Your missing my point.

Read the OP...Or don't.

I read it and at best it is offensive and should have been removed. But that's just my opinion. I see no value in discussing a word that the scientific community discarded years ago to rage on about the Farang word that the only people it insults are newbys to Thailand who have not got a clue yet about it's meaning. It doesn't take a brain trust to use the search function and find 78,000 references to the SOS that you are flinging now.

The word was in a news report I read on Thaivisa & I've never heard any negitive connatations with this word used in its original form.

It also matches the word Farang exactly & wanted to know why I would be so uncomfortable using it while accepting Farang without batting an eyelid.

As I said its a cultural difference.

I think, maybe not for a century or more who knows, Thai people will have to deal with it as the west has tried.

The word was in a news report I read on Thaivisa & I've never heard any negitive connatations with this word used in its original form.

It also matches the word Farang exactly & wanted to know why I would be so uncomfortable using it while accepting Farang without batting an eyelid.

As I said its a cultural difference.

I think, maybe not for a century or more who knows, Thai people will have to deal with it as the west has tried.

Although some forensic anthropologists and other scientists continue to use the term in some contexts (such as criminal justice), the term mongoloid is now considered derogatory by most anthropologists due to its association with disputed typological models of racial classification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid

Please provide the link where, "It also matches the word Farang exactly."

The usual response in one of these threads is Farang only means Caucasian (caucasoid) & backed up by Thai people I've asked in so many words.

My wife also when asking why some people have a hang up about being called Farang gave roughly the same meaning. When she did so I explained that people like their individuality & don't like to be grouped within their racial ethnicity.

Each country has its own Culture as in Asia.

The reason for Mongoloid being offensive in your link as far as I understand is it does exactly this as does Farang, caucasoid.

I don't care for the word Mongoloid but has been the first word close enough to Farang to make me think how I would feel with a word like this in my vocabulary & mindset.

It doesn't sit well.

not to me

Knowing your previous posts I wouldn't of imagined it would to you Aydeejay.

So can you give me a credible reason why Mongoloid is not the same as Farang?

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970) to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others.

To simplify, you wrote, "Mongoloid is same same Farang" it is up to you to prove your claim not anyone else to disprove it.

Edited by thailiketoo

not to me

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (18721970) to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others.

To simplify, you wrote, "Mongoloid is same same Farang" it is up to you to prove your claim not anyone else to disprove it.

In science every theory is correct until proved wrong & then dismissed.

Einstein' General therory of relativity has some issues but until someone can disprove it (which many scientists believe will happen) it is taken as the standard model.

I have a couple of men in their 60's who work for me & asked them in their generation was the word as far as they knew derogatory back when.

As far as they are concerned it's never crossed their path in this way.

This is still not the point, I wouldn't use it & certainly not in the same fashion as Farang.

But the two words have basically the same meaning & no-one has given any, never mind credible reason as to why Mongoloid is not the same as Farang.

not to me

Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (18721970) to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others.

In science every theory is correct until proved wrong & then dismissed.

Einstein' General therory of relativity has some issues but until someone can disprove it (which many scientists believe will happen) it is taken as the standard model.

I have a couple of men in their 60's who work for me & asked them in their generation was the word as far as they knew derogatory back when.

As far as they are concerned it's never crossed their path in this way.

This is still not the point, I wouldn't use it & certainly not in the same fashion as Farang.

But the two words have basically the same meaning & no-one has given any, never mind credible reason as to why Mongoloid is not the same as Farang.

100% backwards. In science every theory is wrong until proved correct.

The point is you wrote, "Mongoloid is same same Farang" which is a loony idea unless you can prove it correct.

• Ask a Question
  • Do Background Research
  • Construct a Hypothesis
  • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
  • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
  • Communicate Your Results
Edited by thailiketoo

100% disagree.

Every theory in science, not matter how ludicrous, is right until proven wrong. Such as:

The world being flat:

The Sun & all in the sky orbiting the Earth:

Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica:

The universe slowing rather than expanding:

Etc etc.

All were taken as true to form until somebody decided to examine it then disprove it.

People make their observations, come up with a conclusion, then put their conclusions to the mercy of a larger viewpoint.

The theory stands correct until someone can disprove it, then the new theory is the lead runner & be subject to scrutiny.

That's the progress of science.

I made a conclusion then put it to be picked apart & find a flaw that I can't see.

100% disagree.

Every theory in science, not matter how ludicrous, is right until proven wrong. Such as:

The world being flat:

The Sun & all in the sky orbiting the Earth:

Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica:

The universe slowing rather than expanding:

Etc etc.

All were taken as true to form until somebody decided to examine it then disprove it.

People make their observations, come up with a conclusion, then put their conclusions to the mercy of a larger viewpoint.

The theory stands correct until someone can disprove it, then the new theory is the lead runner & be subject to scrutiny.

That's the progress of science.

I made a conclusion then put it to be picked apart & find a flaw that I can't see.

You wrote, "Every theory in science, not matter how ludicrous, is right until proven wrong,"

Some people speak as if we were not justified in rejecting a theological doctrine unless we can prove it false. But the burden of proof does not lie upon the rejecter.... If you were told that in a certain planet revolving around Sirius there is a race of donkeys who speak the English language and spend their time in discussing eugenics, you could not disprove the statement, but would it, on that account, have any claim to be believed? Some minds would be prepared to accept it, if it were reiterated often enough, through the potent force of suggestion,

Chemist Peter Atkins said that the point of Russell's teapot is that there is no burden on anyone to disprove assertions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

Sorry but your argument has been disproved thousands of times. I'll stop there.

• Like 1

If you were told that in a certain planet revolving around Sirius there is a race of donkeys who speak the English language and spend their time in discussing eugenics, you could not disprove the statement, but would it, on that account, have any claim to be believed?

I can definitely believe that. The Donkeys that is.

Now can we please close this awful thread. I do find it very insulting and insensitive as I'm sure many other members do.

It's easy to decide we're better than everyone else based on our racial features / bank balance / whatever, but the all-time classic for me was a bloke who gave me an earful here in Pattaya a couple of months ago re Australia's willingness to take the current wave of Irish 'refugees' eager to work anywhere they can to send money home. I've met a few of these blokes and they certainly dont mind a drink, but I'm not aware of them causing any more trouble than the locals. Seems my newfound friend had a different view.

He - 'Don't take 'em, mate - they're scum !'

Me - 'They seem to be hard workers and they're willing to do the really shit jobs'

He - 'That's cause its all they know - they were born scum and they'll drag you down with them !'

Me - 'But arent you Irish too ?'

He - 'I am, and that's why I'm warning you - I know what they're like !'

It's nice to have ambassadors for your country roaming the world to spread the good word ;)

I'm not Irish.

The answer I wanted is this is not an ideological world & it's full of double standards that you can do nothing about.

The two words are just about the same but can't be used the same knowing one would be offensive while the other not.

Doesn't mean I have to unlearn everything I think is right and submit to everyone else's way of thinking.

Don't pee on my head & tell me it's raining.

It was a train of thought, it will die a death.

Let's say a very senior person in Thailand referred the Queen of England as a Falung. There wouldn't be any comment. However if the Queen called that person a Mongoloid there would be a major diplomatic incident.

Time to put this to bed.

• Like 1