Mongoloid Same Same Farang Chai Mai?

Gringogazzer

When was in school, it was definitely taught that there were only three races: Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid. Since then people have tried to add others, but at the root of it, it's true.

Within each race there are ethnicities. Asian is just one type of Mongoloid just as East Indian is just one type of Caucasoid. Arabs are Caucasoid. White people are Caucasoid.

I think you'd do a lot better to refer to the person as Asian or Thai. Mongoloid has also picked up the more derogatory meaning of someone who is deformed.

• Like 1

When was in school, it was definitely taught that there were only three races: Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid. Since then people have tried to add others, but at the root of it, it's true.

Within each race there are ethnicities. Asian is just one type of Mongoloid just as East Indian is just one type of Caucasoid. Arabs are Caucasoid. White people are Caucasoid.

I think you'd do a lot better to refer to the person as Asian or Thai. Mongoloid has also picked up the more derogatory meaning of someone who is deformed.

Wasn't sure if the reference to Downs Syndrome was purely a UK thing or more widely known.

That why I meantioned the dual meaning.

Double post... Edited by Gringogazzer

You would be surprised how often this term crops up in English translations of Asian academic studies even today, and in doing so they are not referring to those with Downs Syndrome, the sensitivities in using it seem to apply more to Western usage than in Asia. I can only assume that Asians are less sensitive about being called mongoloid than you are about being called a farang. Maybe you are looking at this from a Western perspective ? Seem to recall that the common term for Downs Syndrome in Thailand translates as "less intelligent" , not exactly flattering but I've heard a few people on TV being called precisely that, or worse, frequently.

Well I would refer to you as a moron, sir. Just ask the Negroids do they like KFC and see how far that gets you.

If you are insecure about being called Falung you really don't have any understanding of the word and most definitely don't speak Thai.

Only misanthropes seek division.The handyman and gluesniffa sees what sticks us together.

Modern anthroplogy places AL 288-1 aka Lucy in the die with genes ,alleging we all descend from E Africas great fault which goes all the way to the Jordan Rift Valley drifters many moons back.

Wiki explains better than I can as a radiologist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus)

Of course in Inner Mongolia dog hotpot and horse flesh were menu du jour and doesnt seem ed to have harmed anybody.

Outer Wrongholia the mantally challenged those barbarians who brought their knife to the table were the Jan Kaas while the dentally challenged will always be the Po Mi bar stewards who had free NHS check ups but eschewed forking out for straightening.

I think Kublai Ghenghis et al will be long remembered when dwarfs like Abbot Blair and Obama are confined to the dustbin of also rans.

Tim Berners Lee Kim Dotcom Gates and Jobs have forged the digitalis era.

Like Coffe tea Rastafari and Gondor Ethiopia is the source of great wonderrs,I be seein yer,went to by a brush and came back a bar bar

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 2

Well I would refer to you as a moron, sir. Just ask the Negroids do they like KFC and see how far that gets you.

If you are insecure about being called Falung you really don't have any understanding of the word and most definitely don't speak Thai.

Insecure about being called a Farang I am not, the duel meaning of the word Mongoloid is unfortunate but being there is no difference between Mongoloid & Farang why would one be offensive while the other is not??

Sorry if that makes your stay in Thailand a little more uncomfortable & you can't deal with the question.

Insecure about being called a Farang I am not, the duel meaning of the word Mongoloid is unfortunate but being there is no difference between Mongoloid & Farang why would one be offensive while the other is not??

The word that you're looking for that is equivalent to Mongoloid is Caucasian not farang.

Edit for spelling

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

Sorry if that makes your stay in Thailand a little more uncomfortable & you can't deal with the question.

Mongoloid in it's modern context is interpreted as mongol. Someone with an improperly developed brain. I am sure Thais are pretty fed up by being called Asian and lumped together with all the Indians and Arabs etc.

Thailand is part of Indo-China and in my opinion the race should be referred to as such.

The word that you're looking for that that equivalent to Mongoloid is Caucasian not farang.
Yes in the English language but as many people have said before Farang only means Caucasian so this is what it means to a Thai person. Mongoloid is basically Asian. The two are the same.

Think people can't see the white man syndrome they & myself have.

Mongoloid in it's modern context is interpreted as mongol. Someone with an improperly developed brain. I am sure Thais are pretty fed up by being called Asian and lumped together with all the Indians and Arabs etc.

Thailand is part of Indo-China and in my opinion the race should be referred to as such.

See the above OP for the definition of Mongoloid & when they used it in the news report I don't think they were moving their investigation to look for someone with an improperly developed brain.

I consider all peoples native of south east Asia as orientals and that a Mongoloid is a more derogatory term dating back centuries to describe people of south east Asia and those with down's syndrome placing them in the same categories. I doubt if anyone today would consider people of S.E Asian decent or those suffering from down's syndrome as Mongoloid, because that term has become archaic and is considered as an insulting and derogatory way of describing someone. That`s like describing a person who is born retarded as an imbecile or a lunatic, those words still being in the dictionary that again are archaic and not a polite way to describe people who are born mentally handicapped.

The term Farang probably has the same meaning to Thais as orientals does to other nations, farang, a describing of peoples native of Europe or descending from Europe as does the term orientals pertaining to those of S.E Asia according to Europeans and from other parts of the world.

It seems that many members on Thai visa have an obsession with race and ethnic identity, many living in Thailand believing they are the oppressed, the persecuted and all Thais view and perceive them in derogatory way, which is simply not the case.

When the offensive duel meaning came about I can't say.

The word Mongoloid to describe someone from Asia is not offensive but to me (& would say most from the west) is offensive when used in the same fashion as the term Farang.

It clearly wasn't offensive to use it in the news.

Do we then accept Farang the way it is used & dismiss it as harmless because of our past culture & don't want to be offended by something we can't change our selfs?

Here we go again, ding ding round???

Mongoloid: Adj:

Anthropology of or being a major human racial clarification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds & prominent cheek bones including peoples indigenous to central & Eastern Asia.

Offensive of or relating to Downs Syndrome.

I was keeping up with the progress on Koh Tao & the DNA recovered is that of Mongoloid racial ethnicity.

As soon as I read it I thought "that's it, that's the word missing from my vocabulary" when discussing the use of "Farang" that I'd looked for in my mind so many times.

Mongoloid is Farang's Yin to Thai (Mongoloid) people's Yang. All other words were derogatory slang with negitive connotation from the off.

So that got me thinking if I was to go about my daily business but using Mongoloid to refer to everyone of that ethnicity would I feel offensive or bigoted?

Example, "Mongoloid over there wants another drink", "ask that Mongoloid to move his bike for me", "is Mongoloid working today?" etc etc.

Even as far as my kids pointing & shouting "Monoloid, Mongoloid" at people passing.

If all Farang were to use it in the same manner would I be ashamed to be part of that group that make a us & them divide?

Mongoloid is same same Farang but I could never use it like this because it would just not sit right.

It doesn't make Thai people any less, in my mind, we have different languages, sensibilities and histories.

In the west we had to make efforts to drive out racism from our culture to move forward. Thai people don't have this issue yet.

It's a cultural difference.

Mongoloid same same Farang chai mai????

Mai chai.

I consider all peoples native of south east Asia as orientals and that a Mongoloid is a more derogatory term dating back centuries to describe people of south east Asia and those with down's syndrome placing them in the same categories. I doubt if anyone today would consider people of S.E Asian decent or those suffering from down's syndrome as Mongoloid, because that term has become archaic and is considered as an insulting and derogatory way of describing someone. That`s like describing a person who is born retarded as an imbecile or a lunatic, those words still being in the dictionary that again are archaic and not a polite way to describe people who are born mentally handicapped.

The term Farang probably has the same meaning to Thais as orientals does to other nations, farang, a describing of peoples native of Europe or descending from Europe as does the term orientals pertaining to those of S.E Asia according to Europeans and from other parts of the world.

It seems that many members on Thai visa have an obsession with race and ethnic identity, many living in Thailand believing they are the oppressed, the persecuted and all Thais view and perceive them in derogatory way, which is simply not the case.

The word Mongoloid to describe someone from Asia is not offensive but to me (& would say most from the west) is offensive when used in the same fashion as the term Farang.

Do we then accept Farang the way it is used & dismiss it as harmless because of our past culture & don't want to be offended by something we can't change our selfs?

The true meaning of the term (Farang) according to the Thais, has been in debate for years and now the subject has been thoroughly done to death.

In my opinion it is the Thais way of describing people they don`t know personally as being native to Europe or of European decent and is not intended to be offensive. The term (Farang) only becomes an insult if a Thai person addresses someone they know as a farang and not by name or actual nationality.

For example if I am in Thailand I perceive those around me as Thais, if I were abroad or in my home country and saw some S.E. Asian people I did not know while out and about, in my mind I would see them as orientals of south east Asians. As for Mongoloids, no, never, that`s a term that stems back from my grandfather`s days. Perhaps this somewhat goes over the heads of a few of you, but to some I am sure they will get the gist of what I am explaining and understand.

Here we go again, ding ding round???

Mongoloid: Adj:

Anthropology of or being a major human racial clarification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as yellowish brown skin pigmentation, straight black hair, dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds & prominent cheek bones including peoples indigenous to central & Eastern Asia.

Offensive of or relating to Downs Syndrome.

I was keeping up with the progress on Koh Tao & the DNA recovered is that of Mongoloid racial ethnicity.

As soon as I read it I thought "that's it, that's the word missing from my vocabulary" when discussing the use of "Farang" that I'd looked for in my mind so many times.

Mongoloid is Farang's Yin to Thai (Mongoloid) people's Yang. All other words were derogatory slang with negitive connotation from the off.

So that got me thinking if I was to go about my daily business but using Mongoloid to refer to everyone of that ethnicity would I feel offensive or bigoted?

Example, "Mongoloid over there wants another drink", "ask that Mongoloid to move his bike for me", "is Mongoloid working today?" etc etc.

Even as far as my kids pointing & shouting "Monoloid, Mongoloid" at people passing.

If all Farang were to use it in the same manner would I be ashamed to be part of that group that make a us & them divide?

Mongoloid is same same Farang but I could never use it like this because it would just not sit right.

It doesn't make Thai people any less, in my mind, we have different languages, sensibilities and histories.

In the west we had to make efforts to drive out racism from our culture to move forward. Thai people don't have this issue yet.

It's a cultural difference.

Mongoloid same same Farang chai mai????

Mai chai.
I think "Mongoloid Mia chai muan Farang krap" would of been better, but...tam mai?

The true meaning of the term (Farang) according to the Thais, has been in debate for years and now the subject has been thoroughly done to death.

In my opinion it is the Thais way of describing people they don`t know personally as being native to Europe or of European decent and is not intended to be offensive. The term (Farang) only becomes an insult if a Thai person addresses someone they know as a farang and not by name or actual nationality.

For example if I am in Thailand I perceive those around me as Thais, if I were abroad or in my home country and saw some S.E. Asian people I did not know while out and about, in my mind I would see them as orientals of south east Asians. As for Mongoloids, no, never, that`s a term that stems back from my grandfather`s days. Perhaps this somewhat goes over the heads of a few of you, but to some I am sure they will get the gist of what I am explaining and understand.

I agree Farang from a Thai person is not meant as a derogatory way of describing people but there were plenty of words to describe non Europeans without malice intended back when that would not be toliated today.

I'm too young to know if the term Mongoloid had any negitive connatation decades ago.

If it did or does why use it in the news?

I agree Farang from a Thai person is not meant as a derogatory way of describing people but there were plenty of words to describe non Europeans without malice intended back when that would not be toliated today.

I'm too young to know if the term Mongoloid had any negitive connatation decades ago.

Try the following as an experiment:

Approach someone of S.E. Asian ancestry or decent who has been brought up in the west or highly educated and say to that person; by the way; you are a mongrel or a Mongoloid and see how he/she reacts.

And what school (level) was that?

post-187908-0-32740200-1411347570_thumb.

It is the Thai press.

sad to say they do not have an editorial department to check over what they print for accuracy.They often don't look at them selves as we do. Besides are all Orientals of Mongolic decent?

But that well educated Asian person who understands being referred to by their racial ethnicity is offensive then has no quarms about referring to others by their racial ethnicity because why?

It's just the way it is, has been?

You mean this is another "Farang" thread? There are 78,000 post about Farang on Thai Visa. It gives "getting old" a new meaning in repetition. I'm all for free speech but there have been thousands of threads about Farang supposedly being insulted by being called Farang; can't you look at them?

At first I thought it was a, "lets post definitions of words that I learned in 8th grade in 1930 that have now changed" thread. But upon reading your post I realize it's another, "I'm new to Thailand, don't speak Thai, and have just discovered Thais call me Farang" thread.

Most of the newby intellectual lightweights go through a similar thought pattern and Thai Visa is a good place to check out the reality of your new found quandary and indeed Thai Visa has answered your question, "http://www.thaivisa.com/558-0.html

Not all indians are caucasoid. The southern indians are called dravids and if you care to notice the various indians and not just the "hollywood" type you would notice the vast majority of them don't actually have caucasian like features and those that do are most likely mixed.

Also indians are called asian in the UK because hey what do you know india is in asia.

These terms don't actually mean anything because when someone says caucasian he doesn't mean an arab or an indian he means a white european that is why farang doesn't mean arab in thai.

These very broad type of groupings are useless but people use them or rather americans use them for unknown reasons. Like asian means anyone from asia so middle eastern ppl can be included but they don't mean that. Caucasian means white person aka farang from europe that's why in dating sites they put white caucasian in there to avoid those indians, arabs etc from trying to pass off as white european.

You don't seem to have a problem being called a Gringo. Falung is the Thai equivalent so I fail to see your objection.

Mongoloid was a term coined in the 1800's and the World has moved on since then.

You wouldn't see race depicted as Mongoloid on any Government document in any Country in the World.

It's a completely obsolete term, even Russians and South Americans were classed as Mongoloid.

If being called Falung really upsets you just write a letter to the UN.

• Like 1

You don't seem to have a problem being called a Gringo. Falung is the Thai equivalent so I fail to see your objection.

Mongoloid was a term coined in the 1800's and the World has moved on since then.

You wouldn't see race depicted as Mongoloid on any Government document in any Country in the World.

It's a completely obsolete term, even Russians and South Americans were classed as Mongoloid.

If being called Falung really upsets you just write a letter to the UN.

Gringo was a term used by the Spanish for people of Irish descent mainly because of their accent they had trouble getting round the Spainish language.

Their vocal skills, not their race.

Apparently mongoloid is a valid & non offensive term but when used in the same fashion as Farang, you & me know it's offensive...why.

Why do we not then take offence & justify other people's exact offensiveness.

Do we hold ourselves to higher standards or are we above being insulted.

Some friends of my wife who are comfortable enough to be honest with me when talking about issues on here simply say "farang stupid"

I agree, in part.