Some Help From The Experts, Confused !

Hi,

I would like some advice.

I am 32 years old, married to a Thai national with a child and living in Thailand, and I've got money in the bank (here).

I entered Thailand last september on a multiple entry type "O" visa.

When my 90 days was up, I did a visa run to Cambodia (no hassle really).

Now, my second visa run is coming up shortly, but certain questions have arisen and I'm hoping for some help !

I am aware that it is possible to extend my visa for a year because of my circumstances, and because of the "new" visa regulations in July I should get my finger out and get the extension, however I am looking at starting a new business in the next couple of months.

I am wondering if it is possible to fufil the criteria for a work permit with my current type "O" visa, or would I have to leave Thailand and obtain a type "A" ? Also is there any advantage or disadvantage to extending my visa now ? Would it adversely affect my work permit application if I was on a type "O" with a years extension ?

So should I head for the Immigration Office, Aranyaphrathet, or KL ?

Sorry if this all sounds a bit confused, it accurately reflects my state of mind.

If anybody would like any more info about my circumstances please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

INTJ.

You can obtain a work permit with a type O visa so I would apply for extension now. There already seems to be confusion on requirements/when they take effect but if you do now you may only have to show the old 200k in the bank account.

You can obtain a work permit with a type O visa so I would apply for extension now. There already seems to be confusion on requirements/when they take effect but if you do now you may only have to show the old 200k in the bank account.

There is a Thai Embassy in KL but you need an Immigration office IN Thailand, and one near to where you reside. Have you got 200,000 baht in a bank in Thailand right now ? If so, go and do the one year extension now. If you leave it until July you'll need 400,000. Getting an extension now will not impact on you obtaining a work permit in the future.

OK Guys, Thanks for the good advice.

What is the procedure to get the 1 year extension ? I am currently permitted to remain until 24th March. Have I got enough time to get everything sorted ? I understand there is an immigration office in Pattaya, which is considerably closer to me than BKK. Would they be able to "do the necessary", or have they got an (understandably) jaded view of farangs staying for long periods ?

BTW, I am married in English law, and I have already got a "certified translation" of the marriage certificate from the UK embassy in BKK. Is this recognised as a legal marriage (for visa purposes) or do I have to go and sign papers at the amphur office ?

Thanks again,

INTJ.

BTW, I am married in English law, and I have already got a "certified translation" of the marriage certificate from the UK embassy in BKK. Is this recognised as a legal marriage (for visa purposes) or do I have to go and sign papers at the amphur office ?
you already are married to a thai, it just was in england so your translated marriage certificate should meet the requirement.
What is the procedure to get the 1 year extension ? I am currently permitted to remain until 24th March. Have I got enough time to get everything sorted ? I understand there is an immigration office in Pattaya, which is considerably closer to me than BKK. Would they be able to "do the necessary", or have they got an (understandably) jaded view of farangs staying for long periods ?

i would recommend the bangkok immigration office but it really is up to you. once you start the immigration process you will need to follow through at the same office. the procedure is you and your wife need to bring copies of everything from house papers to her thai id, bank passbook and fill out the application form . if all goes well that first day, you will have a "under review" extension for 4 to 6 weeks stamped in and when you return to immigration you should have the final one year extension stamped in.

Have you got 200,000 baht in a bank in Thailand right now ? If so, go and do the one year extension now.

this question needs to be answered first as it is currently a requirement to have 200k+ in a thai bank and to bring a letter from the bank verifying the balance.

Huski is spot on with his advice, but don't forget the two photos! We have also had to give two copies of all documents as my visa extension application is sent to bangkok to be processed. Also, you have up until your visa expires to apply for your extension so you still have time to get everything together.

You have most of the info. You have time. Be sure to have wife with you and to get the letter from bank saying that on date xxx you had xxx in account and within the week visit immigration. Normally costs 200 baht. Passbook says same thing but they need both. All copies should be signed and bring a couple photos of yourselves together at home as they have to verify you live together and that may be all they need if done in Bangkok. You can apply anytime within the last 30 days of your stay so you are good to go now. If you do the process in Bangkok you will only need one photo but if you want to leave country during the 'under review' you will need a re entry permit and you can use the other photo for that. Also be sure to report your address at this time as you will be very close to the 90 day in country.