Russian out-in visa runs ‘same as other nationalities’ – Thai Immigration chief

While it may rile the Thai government that people keep renewing their visas on 30 days runs, I think the government should consider a few things. Firstly, the Russians are in general, here in large numbers. Secondly, they are building communities. Thirdly, many of them come hard pressed, in the hopes of making a living here. It may be either premature, impossible or not yet possible for many of these people to do things properly. However, given their resolve to stay here, the Thai government should be pleased that such a large group of people are actively trying to stay here, and in the long run, they will provide employment, economic growth and so forth.

Like many situations, it isn't perfect, but given what they go through to get here, if they are not dangerous criminals, I think the government should be very lenient with them. Many years ago an economics professor told me to read a paper called "Bandwagon, Snob and Veblem Effects". It basically stated that there are three markets with high priced goods: some people buy because it is expensive; another group buys because they see other people buying; some people buy when others are not buying because they are snobs. Likewise, there are a lot of different reasons people do border runs: no real spendable income; others may do things that way; some may be working but not making enough. In such a case, I believe it is in the interests of Thailand to allow them to continue in the hopes that at some point in the future they will be able to do things properly. In America, poor people often act inappropriately due to lack of education or get themselves in other types of trouble. Yet the society at large, in a social sense, pretty much ignores such shortcomings because it knows it is relatively more difficult for them to be the perfect people. Instead, It works with them to make them solid citizens. This is the way it has to be because they simply cannot conform in the beginning.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an absolute farce.

I took the advice of so many TV posters saying to stop moaning and 'get the right Visa'. So I tried.

Flew back to the UK to visit the Thai embassy and explain my situation, and ask for a 1 year multiple entry visa based on having family and finances in Thailand;

I'm under 50 but have a Thai partner, own a house together, have a baby towgether but not married yet. Work outside of Thailand and have enough money in a Thai bank account to survive for a few years.

This is what they told me. "You need Tourist Visa". "But I work outside Thailand and leave and enter every 45 days or so, I need a Visa that allows me to do so."

I was told I have no more rights to live in Thailand than a backbacker has, even though I have invested and I spend all of my money there. Apparently I have no legal rights over my child also if I am not married.

Obviously I can apply for the Elite card, but to now I feel like I am being shafted out of 10 grand because I have the wrong passport.

All you posters who have the correct Visa that suits your own needs then well done I am so happy for you. But don't be so frigging patronizing to people who don't have the correct Visa through no fault of their own, but due to the shambolic system that just makes up and changes the rules whenever it suits their own agendas. These decisions are causing families to suffer, tourism numbers to drop and of course giving the impression of an unorganized and very unfair system.

Thanks so much for reeling us in and then booting us out. Mission accomplished I guess.

Well said. I feel exactly the same

What an absolute farce.

I took the advice of so many TV posters saying to stop moaning and 'get the right Visa'. So I tried.

Flew back to the UK to visit the Thai embassy and explain my situation, and ask for a 1 year multiple entry visa based on having family and finances in Thailand;

I'm under 50 but have a Thai partner, own a house together, have a baby towgether but not married yet. Work outside of Thailand and have enough money in a Thai bank account to survive for a few years.

This is what they told me. "You need Tourist Visa". "But I work outside Thailand and leave and enter every 45 days or so, I need a Visa that allows me to do so."

I was told I have no more rights to live in Thailand than a backbacker has, even though I have invested and I spend all of my money there. Apparently I have no legal rights over my child also if I am not married.

Obviously I can apply for the Elite card, but to now I feel like I am being shafted out of 10 grand because I have the wrong passport.

All you posters who have the correct Visa that suits your own needs then well done I am so happy for you. But don't be so frigging patronizing to people who don't have the correct Visa through no fault of their own, but due to the shambolic system that just makes up and changes the rules whenever it suits their own agendas. These decisions are causing families to suffer, tourism numbers to drop and of course giving the impression of an unorganized and very unfair system.

Thanks so much for reeling us in and then booting us out. Mission accomplished I guess.

Why in god's name do the Russkies get unlimited entries? If I had to pick one group prone to illegal work...

What about Australians? Is this entire visa thing just too silly? If they get unlimited why not give them indefinite time. Think of all the green house gas saved. All this gives me dizzy spells.

the reason is political. Australia has been critical of Thailand in many areas, on the other hand Russia has assisted many corrupt thai officials to launder money so they enjoy a "special" relationship.

I agree. Thought all well informed TVFers would know by now that Australia has imposed a travel ban on NCPO members (not just leader) and their families. Good luck to Aussies with extensions of stay etc permissions. EU Foreign Ministers have banned all official visits to Thailand and suspended pending agreements and negotiations. Russia has been less critical and the regime don`t want to antagonise Putin.

If it quacks like a duck........ It`s political.

What happens if you are a tourist but owning a condo and wnat to live in your own accomodation?

If you own a condo, then you are not really a tourist.

Tourists are people who don't have residence and stay in hotels.

nonsense. tourists rent or own vacation condos in many countries

• Like 1

What happens if you are a tourist but owning a condo and wnat to live in your own accomodation?

The only real question that seems to matter is whether/how you can support yourself while in Thailand. If the question arises you better hope you can answer it to the IO's satisfaction.

I've always been upfront about the fact that I do work remotely and have a permanent employment back at home, so far it was accepted by both numerous IOs at the airports and Thai consul in Moscow.

And as your entering for only 30 days it wouldn't need a terrible lot of money to support yourself. Show them a bunch of US$ bills obtained perchance from Thai navy guys in Cambodia and you'll probably pass through.

nonsense. tourists rent or own vacation condos in many countries

In fact..many people are tourists by default (Not fitting into any other category visa slot). Sure they are welcome to buy/rent accommodations. It is not their fault that they are not retired, teaching or studying...nor are married. They are simply tourists who flock here for the winter months. In the USA, we have many tourists who come in from the Northern States for tourism in Florida (Snowbirds) during the winter. They shell out bigger dollars, eagerly sold condos or rent furnished places (hotels can get expensive...and are not always suitable). They are not International tourists, but it is the same idea. You cannot be a part time resident, as there is no such thing. In Thailand, you are either going for a retirement status, marriage status, student status, working status........the only other one for tourists who like to visit Thailand for travel and adventure (frequently), on their off months....is a tourist status. Russia does it...it is not illegal for them (by special agreement). Nor should it be illegal for anyone else (as long as the prove they are tourist). It is just the part about showing hotel bookings that is irrelevant.... Do up some dummy receipts, I suppose. It is crazy simple. Make up some hotel names and leave off the telephone numbers.... The receipts should be in English. Make them crazy long and full of information. Put them in plastic sleeves, inside a 3 ring binder. Get some advance cheap flights every 3 months (a thousand each). Bank statements and Tax returns, or proof of income from your embassy should be in there. Put a whole bunch of Tiger Kingdom and Flower Garden brochures...and stuff like that, inside. Make it huge. Keep receipts (claim they are from museums, and mountain bike activity).

Wear a T-shirt and hat that says...."Target" or "ATM"

I guess anyone could do that and look ok to Immigration. Simply overwhelm them with details.

Edited by slipperylobster

The main work Russians do is to act as tour guides. Since the Thais seem to be incapable of learning any language than English (and then not very well), they are unable to act as tour guides for Russian tour groups. Therefore Russian tour companies need Russians to act as Russian speaking guides. Since tour guide is an occupation reserved for Thais, the only way for these companies to operate is to employ guides illegally. Its Thai labour laws that need amending not immigration law.

• Like 1

131 odd posts of drivel.

Thailand has a reciprocal agreement with Russia offering visa free travel for 30 days.

So long as they are tourists they can use this facility. If they are not, they will be denied entry.

For most, more than one or two trips back to back you probably aren't a tourist any more.

Yes, i know it is possible to be a theoretical long term tourist, in the same way I can theoretically learn to speak Russian in 30 days. All possible, just not very bloody likely.

• Like 1

Why in god's name do the Russkies get unlimited entries? If I had to pick one group prone to illegal work...

What about Australians? Is this entire visa thing just too silly? If they get unlimited why not give them indefinite time. Think of all the green house gas saved. All this gives me dizzy spells.

Dear lanat Large,

The reason why they have this system for Russians is because they have intergovernmental agreement between Thailand and Russian, that aloud tourist to travel inside out. In case of Australia is also clear why they dont have same system. Australia will never aloud such a easy entrance immigration policies. Process of application for visa (not only in Australia, also USA,UK,...) is long,expensive and complicated. If your government ( Australian, USA..) would give same processes as Thailand was given, then it would be fair to discuss why Russians have more privileges.

• Like 1

While it may rile the Thai government that people keep renewing their visas on 30 days runs, I think the government should consider a few things. Firstly, the Russians are in general, here in large numbers. Secondly, they are building communities. Thirdly, many of them come hard pressed, in the hopes of making a living here. It may be either premature, impossible or not yet possible for many of these people to do things properly. However, given their resolve to stay here, the Thai government should be pleased that such a large group of people are actively trying to stay here, and in the long run, they will provide employment, economic growth and so forth.

Like many situations, it isn't perfect, but given what they go through to get here, if they are not dangerous criminals, I think the government should be very lenient with them. Many years ago an economics professor told me to read a paper called "Bandwagon, Snob and Veblem Effects". It basically stated that there are three markets with high priced goods: some people buy because it is expensive; another group buys because they see other people buying; some people buy when others are not buying because they are snobs. Likewise, there are a lot of different reasons people do border runs: no real spendable income; others may do things that way; some may be working but not making enough. In such a case, I believe it is in the interests of Thailand to allow them to continue in the hopes that at some point in the future they will be able to do things properly. In America, poor people often act inappropriately due to lack of education or get themselves in other types of trouble. Yet the society at large, in a social sense, pretty much ignores such shortcomings because it knows it is relatively more difficult for them to be the perfect people. Instead, It works with them to make them solid citizens. This is the way it has to be because they simply cannot conform in the beginning.

If they are working here then they need to pay tax here and have a work visa simple. Same as everywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

I have lived in Thailand 9 years, but after the first few months, never really felt welcome, ... my money yes, but me no! I came to experience the culture and have always showed respect for Thai customs, religion, etc. Thais are proud of their culture so I am shocked that they are so welcoming to Russians, who have no respect for anything Thai ... you never see them anywhere but popular beach resort towns like Pattaya and Phuket. They ignore rules and regulations, seldom support any Thai businesses, preferring to frequent Russian Restaurants, tour companies, spas and bars.

Every time I see a Thai business close it is replaced by a Russian one. Soon, the beach resorts will be totally Russian. I have yet to talk to a Thai person that likes them because they are rude and demanding, but no one says anything about them and the way they are taking over. Funny how you never see a Russian in Isaan, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai!

You also have to wonder why no ther country but Turkey allows them to enter with no Visa! .. especially now with what is happeneing in the Ukraine! They are coming here in droves because they can come easily, not because they are interested in anything Thai. Where I live there are lots of Thais that come from Bangkok on Thai holidays. You can tell when they are because the Russians stay away from the swimming pool, preferring not to mix with Thais!!!

Many long time Farang residents are leaving for other countries because there are so many Russians here now. I am also considering a move to another country because I do not care to live with Russians either. When I cam to Jomtien Beach from Bangkok, 5 ye ago, there were virtually no Russians, .. now tere are more Russians than Thais living in my complex! A few more years and it will be all Russian!

Wake up Thailand and reconsdider who you welcome into your country!

• Like 2

If Thailand wants to make it easier for russians to stay here that's their right for whatever reason, i don't think that people from the us or europe can complain when they are used to getting preferential treatment everywhere else..

Well good point, however people tend to forget, it was the US that kicked off Pattaya during and after the Vietnam war, need i remind some that it was used for R&R for the soldiers when it was a fishing village, now it is a City.

The next main group of tourists were the Germans and then the Brits, this was through out the seventies , eighties and on to present day, who have spent billions of baht.

So newbies get preferential treatment , thats how you encourage the feelgood factor eh ?

I have a couple of friends in the UK who own a farmhouse they have been renovating in France every year during their three month vacation period. What does that make them? We really need to get away from this silly 'well they're only real tourists if they're only here for a fortnight off from the factory' notion. Next it'll be 'they really ought to spend their time in Blackpool along with the rest of the chavs' dry.png

I have lived in Thailand 9 years, but after the first few months, never really felt welcome, ... my money yes, but me no! I came to experience the culture and have always showed respect for Thai customs, religion, etc. Thais are proud of their culture so I am shocked that they are so welcoming to Russians, who have no respect for anything Thai ... you never see them anywhere but popular beach resort towns like Pattaya and Phuket. They ignore rules and regulations, seldom support any Thai businesses, preferring to frequent Russian Restaurants, tour companies, spas and bars.

Every time I see a Thai business close it is replaced by a Russian one. Soon, the beach resorts will be totally Russian. I have yet to talk to a Thai person that likes them because they are rude and demanding, but no one says anything about them and the way they are taking over. Funny how you never see a Russian in Isaan, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai!

You also have to wonder why no ther country but Turkey allows them to enter with no Visa! .. especially now with what is happeneing in the Ukraine! They are coming here in droves because they can come easily, not because they are interested in anything Thai. Where I live there are lots of Thais that come from Bangkok on Thai holidays. You can tell when they are because the Russians stay away from the swimming pool, preferring not to mix with Thais!!!

Many long time Farang residents are leaving for other countries because there are so many Russians here now. I am also considering a move to another country because I do not care to live with Russians either. When I cam to Jomtien Beach from Bangkok, 5 ye ago, there were virtually no Russians, .. now tere are more Russians than Thais living in my complex! A few more years and it will be all Russian!

Wake up Thailand and reconsdider who you welcome into your country!

Similar friend, ive lived here for 9 yrs plus and lived in Pattaya for most of that, when i heard that Jomptien was referred to as 'little Russia' the writing was on the wall.

Was in Samui afew days ago, on business, i needed a taxi driver for most of the day a friend recommended one, she picked me up and off we went, whilst driving round i asked her about certain Hotels we past , one very plush, oh thats Russian she remarked, only Russian tourist go there, no surprise i thought.

Im wondering to, as many, where this is all going.

• Like 2

or if they obtain a fake hotel booking and flight schedule? Easy done if you know people in the trade ! If this happens then they can go ahead and do bussiness as usual. I have to say though that i really could not be bothered leaving the country every 30 days..

You don't need to know the people in the trade, you can just change the dates on your old flight / hotel booking using microsoft word / photoshop. Immigration won't check.

thin line between unique and discrimination

eh?

Well, Thais have a hard time traveling to many countries, including perhaps your own...

no not at all

took the GF there before

have helped many get T visa's

had many Thai students in my country as well

But Thailand really needs to work on its anti discrimination laws

its not just in travel it has to be across all fields

What an absolute farce.

I'm under 50 but have a Thai partner, own a house together, have a baby together but not married yet. Work outside of Thailand and have enough money in a Thai bank account to survive for a few years.

In deference to Tonglen, I'm very happy to apologise to you for what may were perhaps flippant and spiteful commentary. Had you explained fully, as you have here, I would have understood the frustrations behind your post.

So many posts are written on TV without any prior research and by foreign nationals looking for a 'quick fix'...nothing else matters to them.

Your own situation is not unique and there is really no 'security' for you until you reach age 50, place 400K or 800K in a bank and acquire a 'retirement' visa.

Your Thai GF, wife will only ever own the land any property stands upon and in fact can only legally accept funding from you for land, property or material asset while remaining unmarried.

You are legally allowed to set up a Usufruct agreement detailing the right to enjoy access to across land and property thereon for a maximum term of 30 years.

After all is said and done, the best way to obtain a multi entry visa, since being the biological parent to a child in Thailand does not automatically grant any concessions, is to marry your GF legally . I'd advise CM since it's less busy and they offer a 'fast track service for nominal fee.

Once married you can obtain a Multi Entry visa easily. Immigration will also be far more flexible regarding extensions to permissions to stay when the father is married to the mother & produces the child for sight at an immigration check point. I know this from experience.

Finally, it should be remembered that a good relationship between yourself & your 'local' immigration office or check point, goes a long way toward how flexible the immigration staff will be.

The rules relating to immigration, irrespective of what anyone says are in fact government guidelines. The officer dealing with your specific needs has the right of discretion and can be as flexible or inflexible as he/she sees fit and based upon his/her impression of you,whether right or wrong.

Again, I know this from experience with Immigration at Nakhonsawan & Maesot crossing, both very good locations.

Good luck and apologies for my lapse into cyber bullying' as defined by, 'The People's Advocate'.

What an absolute farce.

I'm under 50 but have a Thai partner, own a house together, have a baby together but not married yet. Work outside of Thailand and have enough money in a Thai bank account to survive for a few years.

In deference to Tonglen, I'm very happy to apologise to you for what may were perhaps flippant and spiteful commentary. Had you explained fully, as you have here, I would have understood the frustrations behind your post.

So many posts are written on TV without any prior research and by foreign nationals looking for a 'quick fix'...nothing else matters to them.

Your own situation is not unique and there is really no 'security' for you until you reach age 50, place 400K or 800K in a bank and acquire a 'retirement' visa.

Your Thai GF, wife will only ever own the land any property stands upon and in fact can only legally accept funding from you for land, property or material asset while remaining unmarried.

You are legally allowed to set up a Usufruct agreement detailing the right to enjoy access to across land and property thereon for a maximum term of 30 years.

After all is said and done, the best way to obtain a multi entry visa, since being the biological parent to a child in Thailand does not automatically grant any concessions, is to marry your GF legally . I'd advise CM since it's less busy and they offer a 'fast track service for nominal fee.

Once married you can obtain a Multi Entry visa easily. Immigration will also be far more flexible regarding extensions to permissions to stay when the father is married to the mother & produces the child for sight at an immigration check point. I know this from experience.

Finally, it should be remembered that a good relationship between yourself & your 'local' immigration office or check point, goes a long way toward how flexible the immigration staff will be.

The rules relating to immigration, irrespective of what anyone says are in fact government guidelines. The officer dealing with your specific needs has the right of discretion and can be as flexible or inflexible as he/she sees fit and based upon his/her impression of you,whether right or wrong.

Again, I know this from experience with Immigration at Nakhonsawan & Maesot crossing, both very good locations.

Good luck and apologies for my lapse into cyber bullying' as defined by, 'The People's Advocate'.

Rather than pigeonhole my quote as "The Peoples Advocate" why don't you and your parochial ilk define it for what it is: The vox populi.

There are too many here acting as a collective Thai Visa Clotho/Lachesis/Atropos - deciding the ultimate fate of a simple inquiry.

There are many here searching for answers that don't want/need the inane tripe disseminated as posts.

Your resultant post was informative. If it started out that way, I wouldn't have posted my smarmy response.

My apologies if I sounded like a "Community Policeman."

thin line between unique and discrimination

eh?

Well, Thais have a hard time traveling to many countries, including perhaps your own...

no not at all

took the GF there before

have helped many get T visa's

had many Thai students in my country as well

But Thailand really needs to work on its anti discrimination laws

its not just in travel it has to be across all fields

I don't know where you're from, but I know of cases of Thai women being refused entry to the US, UK, Australia, and especially Singapore where I currently reside, oftentimes traveling with or going to meet their bf. But if you don't believe me, see the list of examples below. And it's not just about denial of visas or denial of entry, it's all the hoops they have to jump through just to apply to go for a two week holiday somewhere.

http://www.thaiwifevisa.com/ (claims over 50% of tourist visa applications from Thais are refused by Australia)

http://ukthaivisa.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/my-thai-girlfriend-has-been-refused-a-uk-visitors-visa/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/482954-tourist-visa-for-my-thai-girlfriend/page-2

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/how-korean-immigration-treats-thais-t28185.html

http://sgforums.com/forums/12/topics/415350

Well good point, however people tend to forget, it was the US that kicked off Pattaya during and after the Vietnam war, need i remind some that it was used for R&R for the soldiers when it was a fishing village, now it is a City.

That is, it was mainly used for exploitation of prostitution, a purpose largely that still remains today.

Maybe the Thai authorities are not so fond of these memories and do not feel in debt toward anyone.

Interestingly, it is known that Russian guys are not huge customers for the trade.

The next main group of tourists were the Germans and then the Brits, this was through out the seventies , eighties and on to present day, who have spent billions of baht.

So newbies get preferential treatment , thats how you encourage the feelgood factor eh ?

Ah, gotcha, first come best served, long time. By that logic people from Rome should be entitled when visiting England.

Considering that the Americans, Brits, Germans have brought such a low class of (sex) tourist for decades that really do no good for the countries image is it any wonder they are looking at other options?

Someone posted complaining about Thailand suggesting not allowing Russian's unlimited back-to-back 30 day "tourist" visas stating that

we now have many businesses and Russian communities and need to be allowed to continue to live (oops be tourist) in Thailand.

Isn't this the exact thing Thailand is try to avoid now. Living in Thailand on tourist visa.

The claim for the reason Russians should be allowed unlimited back-to-back could be used to justify disallowing it.

Unlimited tourist visas is different from continual back to back.

A tourist has a primary home (over 50% of the time) somewhere else and income from somewhere else.

I see nothing wrong with frequent tourist buying a vacation home and staying there 4 months a year.