Bangkok is among world's 11 best shopping paradises

webfact

Bangkok is among world's 11 best shopping paradises

IMGP4815-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok was named one of the 11 best destinations in the world for shopping by the renowned travel website, Frommers.com, with the city’s range of markets and malls being singled out for praise.

Eleven cities, including Cairo, London, Istanbul, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris, have been designated as the world’s best for shoppers.

The 11 were chosen not merely for having the widest range of goods and great bargains, but for ensuring that shopping offers an interactive experience, with atmosphere, history and local colour, as well as sights, sounds, smells and traditions to enjoy.

Bangkok was praised for its malls and outdoor markets with bargains galore, for its range of food and textiles in Pratunam and for the ancient floating markets like the one at Damnoen Saduak.

The famous floating markets have long been known for fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers and are a symbol of Bangkok’s tourism industry. Special mention was given to the Chatuchak weekend market and its 15,000 stalls selling everything from antiques to clothing and household goods.

Frommer’s, one of the world’ most respected names in the travel industry has been publishing travel books since 1957 and now boasts over 350 guidebooks and a well-known website, famous for offering impartial and up-to-date information on popular destinations, hotels and restaurants all over the world.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Thawatchai Arunyik commented, “It is a great honour to have been included on this prestigious list; after all, some of these markets have been visited by travellers and traders for centuries – literally in the case of cities; such as, Istanbul and Cairo.

“That Bangkok’s markets are so well known internationally is testament to our huge variety of shopping opportunities. From cool malls with the latest tech, to age-old village and canal-side markets, there is something for everyone, and our weekend market at Chatuchak is known the world over for its thousands of shops selling bargains galore. With new stalls, markets and malls opening all the time, Bangkok looks set to be the must-visit nation for shopaholics the world over,” he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-among-worlds-11-best-shopping-paradises/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-22

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go to the islands, it might get you killed!!

Please stay close to the airport (point of departure) and spend your money!!

See you next year!!thumbsup.gif

Why should you go to close your airport?

Save the taxi fare also, and send the money from your home by online, BUT don't forget to send the saved taxi fare too !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Bangkok is good for shopping, but not HIGH END Brand names, that's for,sure.

If you are looking for,cheap T Shirts and shorts and flip flops, it's great have to admit that.... But anything Luxury is a good bit more than most places..

Give me London anyday, especially in January when it's rocking....

• Like 1

If you are looking for,cheap T Shirts and shorts and flip flops, it's great have to admit that.... But anything Luxury is a good bit more than most places..

Yes, London...you can pick up some of those quintessential British brands like Aquascutum (now owned in Beijing) or Pringle ( owned by the Fang family in HK). ASOS perhaps, but not a stitch of it made in the UK.

The media really needs to check other media sources. This article was from a travel blogger - not Frommer's. This is one person's take on shopping and meaningless to all but the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Yes, this is the type of thing the TAT would jump on to show us what a good job they are doing.

I didn't bother reading the article. Did it mention the downside of shopping Bangkok that when you buy a brand name item you can't possibly be confident it's not a cheap copy?

• Like 1

The media really needs to check other media sources. This article was from a travel blogger - not Frommer's. This is one person's take on shopping and meaningless to all but the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Agree. I cannot find anything from "Frommers" online that has Thailand at number 11.

There is a Frommers article that has Bangkok in the Top 10 "World's Best Cities for Bargain Shopping".

http://www.frommers.com/slideshows/818971-world-s-best-cities-for-bargain-shopping#slide841476

Maybe someone can find a source or link for this post.

BTW, not saying Thailand shopping isn't good. It is...just questioning the validity of the article...

You haven't been to siam paragon by any chance have you?

Has most of high end brands, even a lamborghini showroom, and a vertu store.

j

What I meant was for High End shopping Brand names are cheaper in Europe... As for Siam Paragon, can't stand the place, too busy , beautiful shops, but like I said, you are paying over the odds for Brand names...

London in January is the best, Paris, well behind London and also the Fench Goverment restricts the Shops, when they can have a sale... "Welcome to Bureauric France"..,,

Considering that shopping is a national obsession and that Bangkok is in effect just a massive shopping mall it would be a huge embarrassment if it didn't make the 'best of' list. I'm not expecting it to rate so highly when it comes to attractions such as museums, galleries and theatres though, and for a city the size of Bangkok that is a huge embarrassment.

• Like 2

Considering that shopping is a national obsession and that Bangkok is in effect just a massive shopping mall it would be a huge embarrassment if it didn't make the 'best of' list. I'm not expecting it to rate so highly when it comes to attractions such as museums, galleries and theatres though, and for a city the size of Bangkok that is a huge embarrassment.

Actually last week I went to the National Museum in Bangkok, and it was empty... Just a few tourists wandering around, I spoke to one of the Staff and she told me, that Thai people are not really into that thing ???

That was her exact words ??.... Oh well then... Each to our own..

Entry was 200 baht...

Yes it is. I've bought Vivienne Westwood, Prada, Armani Paul Smith etc etc here out their own stores.

Actually last week I went to the National Museum in Bangkok, and it was empty... Just a few tourists wandering around, I spoke to one of the Staff and she told me, that Thai people are not really into that thing ???

Entry was 200 baht...

It's all about priorities, there's no money to be made in museums and galleries and the public want malls so they get more malls.

My wife went to the UK for the first time this year and she walked me into the ground in London's excellent museums and galleries. To say all Thais are not really into that sort of thing is a bit unfair, they just don't have it, or don't have the historical/cultural depth for this kind of thing. They don't have any spoils from empire to put on show and art galleries would be a bit one dimensional if you catch my drift.

• Like 1

Entry was 200 baht...

It's all about priorities, there's no money to be made in museums and galleries and the public want malls so they get more malls.

My wife went to the UK for the first time this year and she walked me into the ground in London's excellent museums and galleries. To say all Thais are not really into that sort of thing is a bit unfair, they just don't have it, or don't have the historical/cultural depth for this kind of thing. They don't have any spoils from empire to put on show and art galleries would be a bit one dimensional if you catch my drift.

jj

Yes I hear what you are saying, and it's true... As for London Yep Great for that for sure, Bravo on your wife for being interested.....

Yes it is. I've bought Vivienne Westwood, Prada, Armani Paul Smith etc etc here out their own stores.

Sorry but I disagree, even the Duty Free Shops at Swampy Airport are expensive, especially for the Labels..., Hence the reason I go to London frequently for shopping, last time I was in London I bought a Paul Smith T Shirt for 9 pounds, that wa in there sales, and I have been to the Paul Smith Shop here, and no comparison....

Sorry but I disagree, even the Duty Free Shops at Swampy Airport are expensive, especially for the Labels..., Hence the reason I go to London frequently for shopping, last time I was in London I bought a Paul Smith T Shirt for 9 pounds, that wa in there sales, and I have been to the Paul Smith Shop here, and no comparison....

I wasn't talking about the price, i was talking about them having brand name stores everywhere

• Like 1