You Wouldn't Think It Was The Rainy Season Here.

2befrank

I don't know what it is like where you are. But here in Korat city it has been the driest rainy season I can remember.

We have had only three (what i would class as) heavy falls of rain thus far and even then you wouldn't have guessed it had rained by the next day.

I don't even think it has rained two days in a row apart from maybe a little light drizzle. I can only remember two incidences of thunder.

This is a major contrast to what it is normally like around these parts at this time of the year.

Just checking the major dam around here (Lamtakong) to see it is at 40.70% capacity where normally I would expect 70% and up. The reservoir has increased but just by 1% in the past 20 days and 22% of that water is unusable for irrigation etc.... The chart shows that it is dropping, so there isn't even runoff coming into it... That is a first for a September.

If it continues like this I can predict the farmers in the province having a real bad drought next season as next year is the El Nino year and it is expected to be very dry and I guess the powers that be will have been counting on having a nice full reservoir by the end of the rainy season. Which has probably less than 3 weeks to run for this area. 19% of usable water is not going to last them though to 2016. I can tell you that now. It won't even last till February.

Normally love this time of year.... Usually don't have to get the hose pipe out for at least 6 weeks, but still having to water all the plants in the garden..... sigh.

Edited by 2befrank
  • Like 1

2014 has been a pretty decent year for rain in the mountains in Phetchabun. 1.4 meters (4.5 feet) of rain since March and no real long dry stretches. This is perhaps a normal amount of rainfall and vastly more than the last 2 years which were unusually dry. However, the rainy season seems to be fizzling out now with just some occasional light stuff (mid September) and if so will be the earliest the rains have ended as they normally go till November or so.

Interesting....

I live just south of Khorat, in the Chokchai area.

We get a heavy rain for 1 -3 hours almost every afternoon / evening.

It is rare to have a day dry enough to work in the garden.

We are so close, but such different weather!

Have a look at the Thai Met Dept weather pages here

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=8

Choose your region and province and you get yesterdays weather and if you right click onto archive you get a daily observation report and a daily rainfall report.

Also on the front page click on the 30 year average and you will see the min ax max temperatures, amount of rainfall and number of rainy days. Ignore the 1961 to 1990 logo as it does get updated every year.