Police still fail to pinpoint suspects

Lite Beer

This marks the end of Thailands tourist industry,as they (the Thais ) know it today.And I am afraid its self inflicted. ,

Are you delusional? Do you honestly believe that a significant amount of tourists have vacated the island since the murders? NO... Have any new tourists visited or perhaps are staying on the island since the murders? Yes... Will the tourists continue to visit the island? The answer is YES...Very small speed bump in the short term and very, very minimal impact to the long term.

Many tourists come to Thailand as they expect it to be, as marketed, a great tropical wonderland. Good food, pleasant people and overall inexpensive. They will continue to come because they are of a self serving mindset. A bad experience had by others, even murder, will not impact many tourists decision to come to Thailand.

Travel restrictions by their respective government is the answer. Will it happen due to the latest murder of foreigners, death threats to foreigners? NO...

I had family staying on Samui until yesterday they had planned for a diving trip to the island for a few days but decided to cancel after these horrific crimes . I do not know where you get your information from about no tourists leaving as well as tourist arriving of course these I solved murders would have an influence on whether one should visit an island where there is a murderer / murderers at large people will not feel safe !

Firstly, I stated "a significant amount", not "NO" tourists. Secondly, I have no information regarding numbers relative to new arrivals, I was simply bringing to light the true nature of many people and potential relative threshhold regarding perceived safety.

A family, yes, I hope that a family would put much more thought into visiting the island. Not everyone will, as it is human nature for us to think that something so terrible will/would not happen to us. I agree, the murders have and will have an influence on whether one should or does visit the island but the overall impact will be very minimal with very minimal negative impact to the economy of the island.

To the best of my knowledge, and please, anyone correct me, the full moon parties on the island have been banned/cancelled/delayed. If so, this will have a much more serious negative impact to the island economy than the murders. This is sad but I truly believe it to be true. This is the society we live in. Just saying...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately for the local police and for the local mafia, DNA samples obtained from the victims have spoiled their cover-up scenario. Scapegoats will prove to be innocent, and the perps will be found eventually as long as at least one of their relatives remain on the island. With more than one perp (say four) eventually a family member's DNA will show the connection to the killers. I'm assuming that the elite BKK forensic police have already made this connection (or are closing in) , but need to keep it quiet from anyone outside their group until they can trace and arrest at least one of the gang.

DNA samples could be lost, labels fall off, mis-labeled, deteriorate, or otherwise become worthless. Weirder things have happened in Thai investigations. Thai officials are hoping this macabre case will sift away from peoples' concerns, similar to how we've let go of other unsolved/mysterious deaths: 2 young Norwegian women, 2 young Canadian sisters, ....all 4 deaths happened on the Andaman side islands, and none have had any no explanation from 'investigations'. One revealing photo had several cops sitting on a hotel bed, just 2 days after the deaths. They looked like they had just ordered pizza and beer, and were discussing what to watch on the TV.
  • Like 1

Patience I say to all the hot headed, ready made lynch mob following this thread. This investigation is nowhere as simple and straight forward as some of you percieve. Investigations in small communities come with a certain unwillingness to assist police with their investigation for fear of retribution. Also, the speedboats coming and going from these island do so at their own pleasure. There are no harbour masters keeping logs on traffic to and fro.

If you don't want a scapegoat arrested then patience. Let the BIB get on with their process of elimination investigation of potential suspects.

They WILL arrest the the killers in due process, if they haven't already.

You my boy, need a reality check, you have been in Thailand far too long.

They should DNA all the local people

Not sure if they can see if DNA is link to a family member as don't know too much about it

For example if a brother of the suspect was tested could it show a DNA match positive that this person is related

I don't know ?

http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml - Interesting article on the timeline required to process DNA on a case by case basis. I would like to know how close the DNA lab(s) being used in this case are being followed. Their results seem to be coming too quickly.

With the current information/misinformation available to the general public I would think it almost impossible to get a conviction, in a fair court, of any individual/individuals charged with the crime.

Probably anything, from this point on, will just be part of the show. The stage has been set for conspiracy theory.

All over the Australian media this morning that an English guy has fled the island after being threatened by two well connected thais on the island. apparently they were going to make the guy look like a scapegoat for the deaths, hang him and make it look like suicide.

Apparently the BIB spoke to them and let them go, no DNA samples taken. Thailand is looking worse and worse everyday as the bumbling continues.

No DNA samples taken? Is that a fact? They questioned them on the same day that announced that all people on the island are to be DNA tested.

Patience I say to all the hot headed, ready made lynch mob following this thread. This investigation is nowhere as simple and straight forward as some of you percieve. Investigations in small communities come with a certain unwillingness to assist police with their investigation for fear of retribution. Also, the speedboats coming and going from these island do so at their own pleasure. There are no harbour masters keeping logs on traffic to and fro.

If you don't want a scapegoat arrested then patience. Let the BIB get on with their process of elimination investigation of potential suspects.

They WILL arrest the the killers in due process, if they haven't already.

You my boy, need a reality check, you have been in Thailand far too long.

As opposed to what? You being a rookie? Like I said b 4. Patience and you will see.

Unfortunately for the local police and for the local mafia, DNA samples obtained from the victims have spoiled their cover-up scenario. Scapegoats will prove to be innocent, and the perps will be found eventually as long as at least one of their relatives remain on the island. With more than one perp (say four) eventually a family member's DNA will show the connection to the killers. I'm assuming that the elite BKK forensic police have already made this connection (or are closing in) , but need to keep it quiet from anyone outside their group until they can trace and arrest at least one of the gang.

DNA samples could be lost, labels fall off, mis-labeled, deteriorate, or otherwise become worthless. Weirder things have happened in Thai investigations. Thai officials are hoping this macabre case will sift away from peoples' concerns, similar to how we've let go of other unsolved/mysterious deaths: 2 young Norwegian women, 2 young Canadian sisters, ....all 4 deaths happened on the Andaman side islands, and none have had any no explanation from 'investigations'. One revealing photo had several cops sitting on a hotel bed, just 2 days after the deaths. They looked like they had just ordered pizza and beer, and were discussing what to watch on the TV.

Because they wait for answers and when the answers don't come they walk away or pin it on a scapegoat. Keep it real here DNA testing has seriously impeded this investigation. So police will spend extra effort now muddying waters and quite right as you mention above when evidence comes out down the track we will hear lame excuses like 'he gave us a different name' or he was sick the day we tested DNA or we asked all families members to come to the ac bar but only a few showed up etcetera etcetera etcetera

Paying witnesses is also usual to most cases on the three islands yet strangely absent so far in this case. Perhaps these will come out when a DNA match is accidentally made and some alibis need to be sought ?

Its like every where else, "tell me the answer! ". They are hanging all their hopes on these DNA tests, and will pin it on the first match they get - whether its the culprit or just someone who happened to be in contact with them that night. All actual investigation is off the table.

Press statements from children, Cya, find a farang to blame it on. God damb disgrace all around.

Yep..... She could have merely been looking after his sperm for the night and was due to return it to him the next day.

What hope is there for the truth to come out when 2 Thai men threaten to kill another tourist on the island and the police question them and let them go... Of course in Kho Tao it is legal to threaten to murder tourists while the world media is there covering the murder of two tourists, and this whole matter is linked to these threats to murder and the actual murders.

Great going Royal Thai Muppets.

Yet another scathing fact pointing to your lack of desire to bring any Thai to justice.

This sort of thing is more damaging to tourism than the actual murders.

Royal Thai Muppets... well said!

All over the Australian media this morning that an English guy has fled the island after being threatened by two well connected thais on the island. apparently they were going to make the guy look like a scapegoat for the deaths, hang him and make it look like suicide.

Apparently the BIB spoke to them and let them go, no DNA samples taken. Thailand is looking worse and worse everyday as the bumbling continues.

No DNA samples taken? Is that a fact? They questioned them on the same day that announced that all people on the island are to be DNA tested.

They refused to have samples taken. See Bangkok Post.

The photo also bears a resemblance to the Thai guy running away from the crime scene. Even the "police source" has noted this.

But why do they get the choice of refusing to give a DNA sample?

Why are their names and ages not announced like every other person investigated that has been mentioned in the press?

• Like 2

Not sure if they can see if DNA is link to a family member as don't know too much about it

For example if a brother of the suspect was tested could it show a DNA match positive that this person is related

I don't know ?

They have said that they will DNA test everyone on the island.

They would be able to tell from the DNA who were siblings as they would have the exact same gene pool, but they would still have different genes so also able to tell apart. They would also be able to link any family members by using two different tests to determine if they share any relatives from the mothers or the fathers family.

The only exception would be identical twins which share the same DNA as they came from the same egg.

Its like every where else, "tell me the answer! ". They are hanging all their hopes on these DNA tests, and will pin it on the first match they get - whether its the culprit or just someone who happened to be in contact with them that night. All actual investigation is off the table.

Press statements from children, Cya, find a farang to blame it on. God damb disgrace all around.

Yep..... She could have merely been looking after his sperm for the night and was due to return it to him the next day.

What hope is there for the truth to come out when 2 Thai men threaten to kill another tourist on the island and the police question them and let them go... Of course in Kho Tao it is legal to threaten to murder tourists while the world media is there covering the murder of two tourists, and this whole matter is linked to these threats to murder and the actual murders.

Great going Royal Thai Muppets.

Yet another scathing fact pointing to your lack of desire to bring any Thai to justice.

This sort of thing is more damaging to tourism than the actual murders.

Royal Thai Muppets... well said!

I wonder who put "Royal" into the translation.

In Thai they are simply the "National Thai Police"; no "Royal" at all.

I don't know ?

They have said that they will DNA test everyone on the island.

They would be able to tell from the DNA who were siblings as they would have the exact same gene pool, but they would still have different genes so also able to tell apart. They would also be able to link any family members by using two different tests to determine if they share any relatives from the mothers or the fathers family.

The only exception would be identical twins which share the same DNA as they came from the same egg.

Thanks my questions answered

The more this goes on I am only guessing so I could be totally wrong

Is that is it either serial killers that planned their actions carefully

Or a professional hit as people that murder on the spot normally make many mistake, panic and get caught

Where are professionals and serial killers plan their actions for before and after leaving less mistakes

Just what I reckon but I could be totally wrong

Crime on the beach could mean that no one sore them

Come or leave

Interesting comments on this horrific crime in today's Independent Newspaper in the U.K.

There may be some credibility in the comments concerning a ''bar owner'' on the island who it seems is from a well connected family, thus a protective screen could and no doubt would be thrown up around a suspect with the aforementioned connections.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thailand-beach-murders-hannah-witheridge-family-broken-by-tragedy-as-her-body-is-returned-to-the-uk-9747080.hthttp://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thailand-beach-murders-hannah-witheridge-family-broken-by-tragedy-as-her-body-is-returned-to-the-uk-9747080.html

Edited by siampolee

They refused to have samples taken. See Bangkok Post.

The photo also bears a resemblance to the Thai guy running away from the crime scene. Even the "police source" has noted this.

But why do they get the choice of refusing to give a DNA sample?

Why are their names and ages not announced like every other person investigated that has been mentioned in the press?

Perhaps they cannot forcefully take a DNA sample, I don't know. In the UK it is voluntary unless arrested.

I guess they are not considered suspects, not sure why that would be though.

I can't understand why the British police don't come to advise. You would think they would insist at this stage and then when they will no doubt be denied let the press publish the reasons for denial rather than give precise intimate details of the assault on the young lady which I think must be distressing for her family that are already in a state of distress and sorrow. Surely there should be some sort of voluntary press censorship.

I would say this has been and is one of the biggest manhunts in thai history. I have seen murders come and go. But not this one. Mistakes aside, I do believe the police are doing everything they can. I dont believe there is any cover up at all. Everytime a suspect is eliminated, that's one more off their list and they can move on to the next one. Hope and pray everyday this will be solved. I think the thai feel the same way.

I can't understand why the British police don't come to advise. You would think they would insist at this stage and then when they will no doubt be denied let the press publish the reasons for denial rather than give precise intimate details of the assault on the young lady which I think must be distressing for her family that are already in a state of distress and sorrow. Surely there should be some sort of voluntary press censorship.

Thai police didn't request their assistance, simple as that.

A reported and inflammatory post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.