Longer New Year holiday proposed - Tourism Council of Thailand

webfact

that's weird, most asian places celebrate chinese new years instead of the western new year

Thailand does both.

... as well as the Thai New Year aka Songkran. Does Thailand already hold the world record for number of public holidays?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fools; all this will do is give Civil Sevants a longer paid holiday, promote more drunkenness and more road deaths. All it will do for me and many others is keep us indoors and away from the madness, we won't be out spending the money they want to attract.

The government by far is the biggest employer in Thailand.

What was it that dear leader said about populist ideas, projects, bills and such?

Is the TCT part of the government then?

Sophistry. I never implied what you say in your comment.

I was simply stating facts.

To OCDers facts and reality are anathema.

Your post comes across as accusing the govt of populism. Now I ask again, is TCT part of the govt?

Great idea ! . Give the people more holidays to allow them to get even more drunk, and cause even more carnage and death, on what are officially the 2nd worst roads in the world.

Maybe this is the Thai way of removing the moronic drivers off the roads, unfortunately to only be replaced by more.

Why are so many people on this thread so angry about people getting a holiday from work?

Seriously this thread is just absurd

Not only that this additional day is a Friday, all staff will either have it is annual leave or a sick day anyway regardless.

One could argue that the loss of productivity caused by the holiday would have a negative effect on the national economy however, this IS Thailand where productivity is as hard to find as a policeman doing law enforcement.

Which area of Thai industry do you work in? I don't find your argument particularly holds water where I work.

One could argue that the loss of productivity caused by the holiday would have a negative effect on the national economy however, this IS Thailand where productivity is as hard to find as a policeman doing law enforcement.

How dare they give them another holiday - they have enough already!!! I speak from experience: My wife is a business analyst for an IT company - she receives the astronomical amount of 10 days paid leave a year. Outrageous!!! I remember my days in the UK, struggling with the mere 23 days I received - it was always so difficult to decide how to fill up 5 weeks of holiday a year, so in the end I took a measly 3 and got paid out for the rest.

May I be one of the first to state that I believe there's nothing wrong with having a holiday on that day.

New Year's Eve is a Wednesday, New Year's Day a Thursday, one more day and it's the weekend.

Totally logical to extend the holiday and it would not surprise me if other countries do the same.

• Like 1

May I be one of the first to state that I believe there's nothing wrong with having a holiday on that day.

New Year's Eve is a Wednesday, New Year's Day a Thursday, one more day and it's the weekend.

Totally logical to extend the holiday and it would not surprise me if other countries do the same.

A voice of reason in a thread filled with the whines of the dejected. Thank you.

Seems a lot of complaints about Thais having too many holidays. Considering the average work week is 6 days, 48 hours per week (legal) but many work longer than that such as 10 hours/day 6-7 days a week. That means 4 days off a month versus the 8 days off a month most of us in the western world are allowed. Plus 10 vacation days per year versus the incremental vacation days that many companies in the west give. I was up to 6-8 weeks vacation days per year before I left the US. Really seems fair to me as even with all the holidays they still get fewer days off a year then most of us.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

More time off / holidays for the masses --- this should really bring out the grumpy old men here.

But it is not paid time off for the masses. The majority of Thais do not get paid for public holidays and get no annual paid leave. They get paid for the days that they work and that is it.

More time off / holidays for the masses --- this should really bring out the grumpy old men here.

But it is not paid time off for the masses. The majority of Thais do not get paid for public holidays and get no annual paid leave. They get paid for the days that they work and that is it.

I disagree. but seeing as though you mentioned it Iam sure you can prove me wrong, you can can't you ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That I guess is why so many "Thais" are upset about the prospect of getting extra days off.

I disagree. but seeing as though you mentioned it Iam sure you can prove me wrong, you can can't you ?

Employees of the big companies and civil servants get paid public holidays.

The majority of Thais are either self employed or work on a casual basis and they do not.

Can you prove me wrong?

When I finished up in the UK, I was on 8 weeks paid annual leave plus all the bank holidays, which made it about 10 weeks and I enjoyed every day off + a few sick and mental health days for good measure.......I reckon I could wangle 3 months.

Why would I resent others getting good holidays?

Employers that give one week are tight wads.

Employees of the big companies and civil servants get paid public holidays.

The majority of Thais are either self employed or work on a casual basis and they do not.

Can you prove me wrong?

The subject is about those who get paid public holidays. Now can you show me where they won't get paid for this extra day off ?