Itsy bitsy teenie weenie bikini commentary: Thai opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Itsy bitsy teenie weenie bikini commentary

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- Few men can make a comment with the word "bikini" in it and emerge politically correct all the time. But then again, if Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha cared about political correctness, he would never have staged that coup in the first place.

When a guy is chirping like a bird like that, he's full of confidence, and General Prayut's "Don't-bother-to-rectify-me-because-I-don't-give-a-damn" aura is just glowing and glowing.

However, just because he can say anything he likes doesn't mean he's enjoying a trouble-free reign. Thai politics is an intriguing melting pot that brings together enemies, frenemies, fanatics, back-stabbers, zealots, self-proclaimed centrists and mistaken pragmatists. Right now they are watching one another closely, with varying degrees of patience or restlessness. The main focus, of course, is the man who vowed to make them coexist peacefully but whose plea for faith and trust is on the brink of disappearing down the drain.

Forget the bikini remark and how he sings. Prayut's real problem is not his mouth, but the tightrope that seems to stretch forever in front of him. Due to the diversity of Thailand's volatile politics, he will have to navigate contrasting demands, clashing interests and conflicting ideologies. Here are the groups that he ignores at his peril, many of which are next to impossible to please:

The "right" extremists. They are indifferent to the bikini comment, but that is that. Prayut can be rude or even obscene in public for all they care, as long as he cracks down on those they want him to crack down on.

Which they think he has not done. Worse still, this camp is obsessed with conspiracy theories, and their suspicion that he has made some sort of arrangement with the Shinawatras is getting stronger with each passing day. Reform ideas advocated by Prayut will be seen as part of a "secret deal" and deemed "too soft".

The "left" extremists. They take the bikini comment too seriously. It doesn't matter that the late Samak Sundaravej was ruder and blunter in public statements, because the former prime minister took power with an election. This camp has not trusted Prayut from Day One and has often greeted whatever measure he has introduced with an outcry. Reform ideas advocated by Prayut will be seen as intended to silence the voice of the majority and deemed democratically unacceptable.

The "Bikini what?" group. They don't know the story and wouldn't have cared if they did. Many still can't remember the names of his key Cabinet members. They have probably thanked Prayuth for nullifying the threat of civil war and are enjoying the temporary political peace. To spur them into political activism, they need something bigger than a leader's sexist comment - like a corruption scandal.

The "So what? (but just for now)" camp. They are pretty much like the "Bikini what?" group but are checking him out more constantly and with keener eyes. As of now, the "bikini" remark is an isolated case, coming from a man who's not used to speaking pleasant words like traditional politicians. This camp, however, is like a woman who keeps a checklist on her boyfriend. If Prayut makes further mistakes, his "bikini" slip could be brought up again and become the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The "So what? We don't like you anyway" army. They don't overreact to the "bikini" remark, maybe because they understand Thai society so well. But they like Thaksin Shinawatra and/or hate the coup and therefore think Prayut is not the person to lead this country. They are gritting their teeth and bearing his temporary rule, but they are in effect lying in wait. The "bikini" slip is not yet part of their calculations.

The "Oh, how cute" fan club. The Prayut admirers simply can't get enough of his Friday "lectures" and love the way he's "speaking his heart". Politicians would have said it better but look where they left us, this camp says. Like giddy teenagers, they share the clip of Prayut singing his post-coup song, and all indications are that all he has to do to keep their loyalty is avoid kicking a stray dog in public. Seriously, though, they are head-over-heels because they unconditionally dislike you-know-who, so the only way for Prayut to break their hearts is to prove that the "right" extremists' conspiracy theories about you-know-who are not a fantasy after all.

Friendly and supportive as they seem, the fan club can hurt Prayut as much as, if not more than, the others. They won't scream "Betrayal!!!" like the right extremists, or hand out leaflets like the left extremists, or burn effigies like both extremists will likely do, but if and when his admirers become silent, the general had better watch out.

A difficult life, right? Sometimes it's easier to be politically correct than be yourself. Prayut has shown he doesn't care that much what others think, but the time will come when what others think really matters, or when he simply has no idea if he's trying to be himself or be politically correct. The "bikini" uproar is just the merest glimpse of what's waiting for the "interim" prime minister in the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Itsy-bitsy-teenie-weenie-bikini-commentary-30243931.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-24

Perhaps Khun Tulsathit that he understands that because there are groups that are impossible to please that he is better to ignore them and get on with the short term task that he has set himself. Trying to please those that can't be pleased is a total waste of time, resources and energy especially when one has set time short goals. In a year or two politicians will have the reigns of power back and they can spend their time spinning endlessly to appease those they cannot be. It suits their I am so busy and I care bull crap style to the T.

Oh and you forgot a group. The TV flat earth, I live in negativity, nothing ever changes cause I am negative, history is static cause I am negative, never give credit for minuet changes cause I am negative, bitch if my backside was on fire beside a full bath cause I am negative, democracy is elections only Falang posters.

• Like 2

The good General has apologised for his comments. So that is it and he would have to be one of the very few Thais not to mention Thai MP and PM that have ever apologised for anything.

Also a Country that claims to be 95% Buddhist should accept and respect the generals apology.

and really shouldn't have "enemies, frenemies, fanatics, back-stabbers, zealots, self-proclaimed centrists and mistaken pragmatists" as this goes

against the respected teachings of the Buddha.

• Like 2

The good General has apologised for his comments. So that is it and he would have to be one of the very few Thais not to mention Thai MP and PM that have ever apologised for anything.

Also a Country that claims to be 95% Buddhist should accept and respect the generals apology.

and really shouldn't have "enemies, frenemies, fanatics, back-stabbers, zealots, self-proclaimed centrists and mistaken pragmatists" as this goes

against the respected teachings of the Buddha.

a real apology? Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

When will prayuth close all the bars and clubs where the Thais wear "bikinis"?

""Dear leader"" promised to eradicate sin from Pattaya .

And in any case aren't westerners really the sinful ones in question?

Who is talking about Thais ?

The whole idea is to suggest ""westerners are sinful and bring about their own demise.""

Haven't you been listening.?

Even if she wasn't wearing a Bikini so what?

We all know that's what westerners do right?

Lets run an opinion piece and stir the xenophobic hatreds more and have all Thais feel a secure warmth of righteousness anyhow.

Pointing out the 100,000 bikini clad or naked girls around poles is abit below the belt.

That's not on a beach .

Beaches are for Jet ski scammers and touts and people to loose stuff.

Life on the beach isn't about being in a bikini .

And ugly woman are the only ones who should with any confidence consider doing it .

That's how it is .

Edited by Plutojames88
  • Like 2

Perhaps Khun Tulsathit that he understands that because there are groups that are impossible to please that he is better to ignore them and get on with the short term task that he has set himself. Trying to please those that can't be pleased is a total waste of time, resources and energy especially when one has set time short goals. In a year or two politicians will have the reigns of power back and they can spend their time spinning endlessly to appease those they cannot be. It suits their I am so busy and I care bull crap style to the T.

Oh and you forgot a group. The TV flat earth, I live in negativity, nothing ever changes cause I am negative, history is static cause I am negative, never give credit for minuet changes cause I am negative, bitch if my backside was on fire beside a full bath cause I am negative, democracy is elections only Falang posters.

Good morning to you too Sir!!coffee1.gif

Bikini = problem for Thais cause they are so shy. bla bla bla

BUT

Just take a look to the school uniform which was called the most sexy school uniform by Japanese hungry aberrant men.

Just take a look to the bars, where you may find half naked girls and ladyboys.

Jo go and check a ping pong show where you may get a pu ... y to your nose.

Something else ?

Edited by Loles
  • Like 2

"Thai politics is an intriguing melting pot that brings together enemies, frenemies, fanatics, back-stabbers, zealots, self-proclaimed centrists and mistaken pragmatists."

If that is true then there is no reason to be optimistic about the future being any less dysfunctional than all of the past has been.

A conversation with an under-dressed, over-weight Russian in Pattaya.

Put some clothes on, you're almost naked.

Some Thai women dress like this.

But they are mostly prostitutes. What's your excuse?

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

To all those who cannot, or choose not to read the report properly, the commentary is not about bikinis or anyone's comment about bikinis. The bikini reference is an analogy. Read the OP fully and you might understand.

"Forget the bikini remark and how he sings. Prayut's real problem is not his mouth, but the tightrope that seems to stretch forever in front of him. Due to the diversity of Thailand's volatile politics, he will have to navigate contrasting demands, clashing interests and conflicting ideologies. Here are the groups that he ignores at his peril, many of which are next to impossible to please:"

Edited by Triplebank999
  • Like 1

To all those who cannot, or choose not to read the report properly, the commentary is not about bikinis or anyone's comment about bikinis. The bikini reference is an analogy. Read the OP fully and you might understand.

"Forget the bikini remark and how he sings. Prayut's real problem is not his mouth, but the tightrope that seems to stretch forever in front of him. Due to the diversity of Thailand's volatile politics, he will have to navigate contrasting demands, clashing interests and conflicting ideologies. Here are the groups that he ignores at his peril, many of which are next to impossible to please:"

It's disgusting to even allude to this vile comment.

That somehow it's misunderstood .

I don't know if your some seedy bar owner in fear seated in Pattaya worried about Tourist bucks.

But don't have the audacity to protect this guys comments to us.

They are universally panned.

And we only have to marvel at people with Stockholm syndrome type remarks .

It's where you show empathy and sympathy for the guy holding up the bank ( read Thailand)

Get over it.

It is what it is .

Crass comment

Rambling tripe with not even a hint of condolence for the victims' families. A still unsolved gruesome double murder of UK tourists with farm tools on a Thai beach resort. 11 days since this despicable bludgeoning of human beings, this Thai writer is using an irresponsible remark by the military dictator to attempt to "dramatize" the carnival spectacle of Thai politics and the "watching" and signaling that Thais do.

Sheer nonsense, but it's interesting that you recognise "rambling tripe". The OP is not referring to to the Koh Tao incident in any way.

• Like 1