Tourist visa, Australia

No not saying that

Someone who has a tempory visa can apply for P R after 24 months from date of application

Ahh, you have mis read my post mate.

I was talking about citizenship, not permanent residence. Big difference.

Permanent is issued as you say, 24 months after the temporary partner visa is issued. My wife will get this next month. Then after 9 months of being PR, it works out that will be the time she can go for citizenship in her case because she will have been here for 48 months.

Anyway, sorry for swaying off topic!

Krisb,

It's great that your wife wants to become an Australian citizen. Before she applies for citizenship she might want to consider the requirement in s 22(1)© of the citizenship act 2007.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by Ausresident
  • Like 1

Krisb,

It's great that your wife wants to become an Australian citizen. Before she applies for citizenship she might want to consider the requirement in s 22(1)© of the citizenship act 2007.

Good luck with it all.

Yes I will need to find a minute or 2 to read all 187 pages!

I skim read the section you mentioned, but it all seems pretty stock standard stuff,

unless I missed something?

Edited by krisb

In most cases, to satisfy the general residence requirements your wife must have held a permanent visa for at least 12 months prior to lodging an application for Australian citizenship. When the time comes and you are unsure of whether she qualifies for citizenship, there is a great tool online called the Australian citizenship wizard. You can find it through a google search. It will provide you with all the information you need.

All the best.

• Like 2

In most cases, to satisfy the general residence requirements your wife must have held a permanent visa for at least 12 months prior to lodging an application for Australian citizenship. When the time comes and you are unsure of whether she qualifies for citizenship, there is a great tool online called the Australian citizenship wizard. You can find it through a google search. It will provide you with all the information you need.

All the best.

Ok yep I did read that bit.

My info comes from someone who works at DIAC. They could however be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely post opinions but will do here.

How a nation of immigrants can question the right to entry and live in country to the spouse of one their citizens is beyond my understanding.

Before you say it, yes I know the UK does the same, but that actually means nothing to me except that they're very wrong too.

And yes I known that many Australian believe that they have "an huge immigration problem". Still we're talking about a spouse.

My country, that is not one of immigrants doesn't deny the right, and the spouse can apply for citizenship two years after being married, or three if living in a foreign country.

paz, like any nation ... we have a right to choose the rules for our Sovereign Nation.

Why do the rules exist?

A Man, born in Kenya, becomes an Australian Citizen. He finds an Indian Woman on the internet, they legally marry but they don't have a relationship. She is rich and wants to 'acquire' Australian Citizenship so she pays him for the right to come here. He gets maybe $20,000 ... easy money.

Is that right? Morally? for your country of birth? for an Australian?

So, the Australian Government makes a Law that the Spousal relationship has be be proved ... I support that 100% ... but I'm not saying that's fine for others and not for me. Plus you can only 'Sponsor' two Partner Relationships.

MissFarmGirl, my partner, is going though that phase now of having our relationship being proven and while it's a Pain in the A** ... it's what we Australians want.

I think we have the Balance just right.

Sure each country has his own laws, for example in some country they inflict lashes, amputation and execute who changes religion.

The convenience marriage problem exists everywhere but look, my country (and a lot of other not so self-entitled ones) puts rights first and doesn't threat his citizens as suspects of attempted human trafficking. I imagine that a Thai spouse can be very accepting of that, but a e.g. Luxembourger one would be very surprised to discover he/she has to go under scrutiny. As I'm sure Australian Immigration must impartial and treats all nationalities the same.

As you said yourself, you personally agree with that but when it come to "majority" I think it's more case of the other 99% of Australians not having the issue, not knowing and not caring.

• Like 1

Thanks for your support of common sense and no australia doesn't treat everyone equally

For a tourist visa

From a "low risk " country

Is 1 day processing time

For a "high risk " country eg thailand it is 1 month

Louxemberg for example is a "low risk" country and the average current processing times for a "low risk " country is. 5 months

My wife's from thailand so she is considered "high risk " so that is an average 12 month processing time

No not saying that

Someone who has a tempory visa can apply for P R after 24 months from date of application

Permanent is issued as you say, 24 months after the temporary partner visa is issued. My wife will get this next month. Then after 9 months of being PR, it works out that will be the time she can go for citizenship in her case because she will have been here for 48 months.

Sorry krisb, but the relevant date for eligibility for PR is not when the TR visa is issued, but when it was initially applied for. I'm sure you knew that, but just used the wrong terminlogy. thumbsup.gif

We applied for my wife's visa (Onshore s/c 820/801) on 13 November 2012; her TR (s/c 820) was granted on 30 May 2014. According the Permanent Partner visa calculator (http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/partner) on the DIBP website, her Partner (Permanent) visa processing is due now.

All the best.

The information provided in that Citizenship Wizard differs from the information you've provided.

From the Residence Requirements Calculator, a part of the Citizenship Wizard (http://www.citizenship.gov.au/citizenshipwizard/):

--------------------

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

• 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship

and

• absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

If any of the following applied to you in the past 4 years, please telephone the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 during business hours to discuss your circumstances.

• You obtained an e-visa to replace an expired Resident Return Visa (RRV)
  • You obtained a bridging visa of any type
  • You lodged an onshore application for a permanent visa then travelled overseas on your temporary visa
  • You are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV)

If you were granted a permanent residence visa onshore your permanent residence date is the date that visa was issued.

If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is your date of first arrival in Australia on this visa.

Under some circumstances you may be eligible to apply for an exemption to the residence requirements or be eligible under the special residence requirement.

---------------------

Note the apparent contradiction between "Lawful residence" and "permanent residence date" - or perhaps it's just me that's confused by the wording! blink.png

To the OP:

There is, of course, nothing stopping you from applying for a Visitor visa, then waiting to see whether it is issued with the 8503 condition - that in itself appears to be luck of the draw.

• Like 1

Am I right in that its just about impossible for we farang to become Thai citizen. We can't even buy land.

Australia is a country that has embraced immigrants from around the world (yes we did have a white Australia policy many years ago.

I must be in Paz 1% because I feel the process is fair.

Am I right in that its just about impossible for we farang to become Thai citizen.

No, you're not right.

In fact it is far easier and less costly to apply for citizenship than permanent residency, and unlike Australia, there is no requirement to have PR before applying for citizenship if married to a Thai.

In this topic, there are many who have applied and been granted Thai Citizenship.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/

• Like 1

Am I right in that its just about impossible for we farang to become Thai citizen. We can't even buy land.

Australia is a country that has embraced immigrants from around the world (yes we did have a white Australia policy many years ago.

I must be in Paz 1% because I feel the process is fair.

Just about impossible? Depends on where in the food chain you sit... Under 50 or over 50? Under 50 very much possible, over 50 probably meets your criteria of "just about impossible"

But this is about an Australian Tourist Visa, not Thai Citizenship requirements which is probably best posed over in the appropriate forum.

• Like 1