Australian Justice of the peace in Phuket

andreww

Folks,

I found some stale topics on subj, but none of them come useful in 2014,

Can anyone give updated info on this please? Need to certify a stat decl, and missed consular outreach on Tuesday sad.png(

Thanks in advance!

Edited by andreww

Folks,

Can anyone give updated info on this please? Need to certify a stat decl, and missed consular outreach on Tuesday sad.png(

Thanks in advance!

Mate, Im an Aussie and even though some were happy to tell me they were a JP they were just as happy to tell me they won't sign my paper/copy as they did not know my background.. Simply a feeling of importance!

I did not locate the guy but I was told there is a good Aussie JP located in Rawai somewhere... Maybe someone else can help with his contact details.

I get all my things done at the Embassy in Bkk now.

Folks,

Thanks in advance!

Mate, Im an Aussie and even though some were happy to tell me they were a JP they were just as happy to tell me they won't sign my paper/copy as they did not know my background.. Simply a feeling of importance!

I did not locate the guy but I was told there is a good Aussie JP located in Rawai somewhere... Maybe someone else can help with his contact details.

A JP doesn't always have to know you personally, for an amount of time.

Most time people just need their signature witnessed on a document. That's why JP's are in Post Offices and Court Houses in Australia and also on a public register, so you can organise it with them, even though they don't even know you. The OP doesn't say what JP service he needs.

The OP's problem is, a JP is not allowed to perform JP duties outside of their state of jurisdiction, and being in Thailand is certainly outside of their state of Australia.

Here is the link to the JP Handbook for NSW. Have a look at 4.2 - 4.2.1 (second page down) It clearly states you must be in NSW. I'm sure other states are the same.

http://www.jp.nsw.gov.au/agdbasev7wr/_assets/jp/m407351l411352/jp%20handbook%20-%20january%202014%20-%20section%204%20only.pdf

I suggest the OP get in contact with the Canadian lady who is the Australian Hon Consul on Phuket. Maybe she can do it. It may save going to Bangkok.

Folks,

Thanks in advance!

A JP doesn't always have to know you personally, for an amount of time.

Most time people just need their signature witnessed on a document. That's why JP's are in Post Offices and Court Houses in Australia and also on a public register, so you can organise it with them, even though they don't even know you. The OP doesn't say what JP service he needs.

The OP's problem is, a JP is not allowed to perform JP duties outside of their state of jurisdiction, and being in Thailand is certainly outside of their state of Australia.

Here is the link to the JP Handbook for NSW. Have a look at 4.2 - 4.2.1 (second page down) It clearly states you must be in NSW. I'm sure other states are the same.

http://www.jp.nsw.gov.au/agdbasev7wr/_assets/jp/m407351l411352/jp%20handbook%20-%20january%202014%20-%20section%204%20only.pdf

I suggest the OP get in contact with the Canadian lady who is the Australian Hon Consul on Phuket. Maybe she can do it. It may save going to Bangkok.

That was my point actually.. The JP didn't want to sign it because he did not know my background rather than a reason that he should know which may prevent his signing.

Be it Bkk or Phuket, if the document is signed at an Australian Embassy or Consulate it is considered Australian Soil and should be acceptable as there is no specific NSW soil overseas. Regardless, as long as a JP signs I doubt the location would be investigated too deeply.

But, good point and ref link.

I understand she has not yet been confirmed in that position because of the political situation in Thailand.

(Something I don't quite get because the Germans have recently appointed a new consul here without waiting for government approval)

Edited by Old Croc

Okay, could not make it yesterday, the white party is all over the island, traffic is horrible.

Went today, fantastic service, all took 5 minutes or so! And free of charge.

Michelle authorized my signature on the stat decl as a lawyer (there's a huge list of people who can do authorizations).

Having said that, she is still NOT officially in the HC position, i.e. she can't authorize stat declarations to confirm income. So keep following the news and see when new government approves her in this position. It'll make everyone's life easier, no need to go to BKK anymore.

• Like 1