Circuit breakers

Cyrus123

I don't know the company name but I have the so called "government electricity", I pay at the condo but I don't have their electra which is slightly more expensive I believe.

I'm just measuring by calculating the wattage ratings on the back of my equipment so perhaps I'm just below 15 Amps max but if I want the heater I'll upgrade.

Are there devices for sale at homepro to read my actual wattage/amps?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for all these questions guys but I don't speak thai and have no way of explaining anyone around here exactly what I want.

The meter sais 5/15a right? So it's supposed to be used for a usage between 5 and 15 amps? If you take a 15/45a meter for a usage between 15 and 45 amps?

But the only thing I use that draws any amps is the shower heater.

I use 2 - 8 amps during the day, it's only for the 10 minutes a day that I use the shower that I'm exceeding the amps on the meter. So even when I buy a new powerfull shower heater, should I change the meter?

My regular usage is between 5 and 15 amps not in between 15 and 45, these are just 10 minute daily peaks.

Over 23 hours a day I only draw 2 amps, I only even get to 8 amps for the 20 mins a day I'm cooking.

So how does this work? Technically should it be upgraded, yes or no?

Edited by Cyrus123

How big a heater do you want to install?

As I've noted numerous times, electricity meters are very robust, but there is a limit.

I would not fuse a 5/15 over the 25A that you have already, with that incomer and nothing else running you could install a 5.5kW heater and not blow anything up in the few minutes that the shower is running.

That said, a meter upgrade is really the way forward. If you are paying government rates then it is MEA/PEA who provided your meter so you'll need to follow their rules on cable sizes etc. But ask the apartment management first anyway.

To be honest, you've already done far more than I would in a rental place, but up2u.

Thanks Crossy,

I've read the first number is the lowest amount of amps at which the meter is accurate and the second number the highest amount at which the meter is accurate. So when I'm using 2 amps a 15/45a will be inaccurate and when a take a shower the 5/15a is inaccurate?

Is this choosing between two evils or did I get this wrong?

I could go to the MEA/PEA but I just don't know what to tell them, how to discuss wether this is nescessary or not. I think I have been there 4 years ago when I had the 8k Watt shower and I decided not too because the upgrade was unaffordable but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll start a topic on it.

Actually the lower number is the current at which the meter is calibrated, i.e. it is most accurate. The higher number is the maximum rated current above which the accuracy will fall off (of course they never read low).

At really low currents these electro-mechanical meters tend not to read at all due to mechanical losses, free electric :)

Alright, so is a 15/45a accurate at lower usage? While I'm using my 2 amps over 23hrs a day?

Like I said is this choosing between the worst of two evils or are you simply supposed to upgrade when you exceed the highest number?

Perhaps it never hurts to get a bigger meter?

In Holland I would just pick up the phone and ask, over here I don't know what to do. Haha maybe I should just get married first before updating my electrical installation.

Edited by Cyrus123