AC/DC founder Malcolm Young has dementia: report

webfact

AC/DC founder Malcolm Young has dementia: report

SYDNEY (AFP) - Malcolm Young, one of the founding members of veteran Australian rockers AC/DC, has dementia and is being treated in an aged care facility in Sydney, reports said on Friday.

The high-voltage group, one of the biggest grossing bands of all time, announced on Thursday that the rhythm guitarist had retired after 41 years due to unspecified health issues.

But they said the group would continue, with an upcoming new album, "Rock or Bust", due out in December and world tour planned for next year.

The Australian newspaper said Young, 61, suffered a stroke last year while the Sydney Morning Herald reported that he has dementia and was now a full-time patient at an exclusive Sydney care home.

"If you were in the room with (Young) and walked out then came back in one minute later he wouldn’t remember who you are," the Herald’s veteran music writer Bernard Zuel cited a Young "family connection" as saying.

"He has a complete loss of short-term memory. His wife Linda has put him in full-time care."

Young and his brother Angus founded the band in Sydney in 1973, and it has gone on to sell more than 200 million albums.

In announcing a new record on Thursday, AC/DC said Malcolm Young would not be returning to the lineup after he took a break earlier this year, with his nephew Stevie Young taking his place.

"Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm’s condition, he will not be returning to the band," they said on their website.

"AC/DC will undertake a world tour in support of ’Rock or Bust’ in 2015. Stevie Young, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm Young, plays rhythm guitar on ’Rock or Bust’ and will accompany the band on tour."

News of Young’s illness in April sparked rumours that the band could fold, but drummer Phil Rudd said last month: "It’ll never happen. Angus will never retire and as long as Angus never retires I won’t retire either."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-09-26

His younger brother, Angus, is still there to keep the torch burning....

True, but Malcolm was the songwriting brain and engine of Acca Dacca. Along with his older brother George Young, of Vanda & Young and The Easybeats fame (he co-wrote Friday On My Mind with Harry Vanda, possibly Australia's greatest popular song) they are two of Australia's most prolific songwriter talents.

I hope Acca Dacca can keep it up, but it's got to be difficult if not impossible to replace a songwriter of Malcolm Young's proven ability.

• Like 2

True, but Malcolm was the songwriting brain and engine of Acca Dacca. Along with his older brother George Young, of Vanda & Young and The Easybeats fame (he co-wrote Friday On My Mind with Harry Vanda, possibly Australia's greatest popular song) they are two of Australia's most prolific songwriter talents.

I hope Acca Dacca can keep it up, but it's got to be difficult if not impossible to replace a songwriter of Malcolm Young's proven ability.

Damn man, you stole my thunder (no pun intended).

I thought I was the only one left alive who knew about that connection.

Friday on my mind was brilliant for sure but what about Evy , one, two and three?

Do you remember little Stevie Wright? Last I heard he was living in a caravan somewhere, stone broke.

• Like 1

I was at this concert in 1981, Donington Park, it was great stuff !

I hate that singer!

AC/DC was Angus + Bon. Bon Scott was a true singer, gifted with huge vocal capabilities. I remember to have see them in France (with the local hard rock band Trust who were close friend with Angus and Bon), and Bon Scott surprised us with a blues(!!!!!! low tone voice) at the end of the show.

My sympahties to Angus/Malcom and their famillies and loved one.

• Like 2

Friday on my mind was brilliant for sure but what about Evy , one, two and three?

Do you remember little Stevie Wright? Last I heard he was living in a caravan somewhere, stone broke.

Yes, it's pretty hard to narrow down Vanda & Young from the fantastic to the merely great, they've written so many top tunes. The Easybeats themselves still sound remarkably fresh now for a sixties band don't they, so many of their songs translate well today, with Friday On My Mind probably the best example.

I hope Malcolm can recover from this, dementia is such a misunderstood medical condition though.

Edited by NumbNut
  • Like 1

Was told the same about Stevie Wright....

That stupid Martie Roan is still trying to convince everyone he has still got it.....but he hasnt.

• Like 1

I was there too looking after the behind the stage facilities as a favour for the Owner and friend, Tom Wheatcroft. The Monsters of Rock Events were awesome and legendary.

I lived in Donington and Shepshed.

This was a great event. I have it on video.

We also used to race 250CC Yamaha Motobikes on the racing circuit.

One of my buddies who lives in Thailand got it in his mid-50s. His friends look out for him now, but I wonder what will happen when it gets worse.

They better prepare themselves. The changes can be massive. My aunt woke up next to a total stranger. More than 50 years married

61 is far too young to have that condition. I have always seen Malcolm in pictures with a fag in his mouth but Angus on the other hand is always running around like a fool. I love ACDC but the last album was disappointing in fact the last one I liked was the release in around 2000 but I am sure they still got it. I have been told not to get too excited but a friend knows someone who knows someone who is the cousin of the drummer so possibly could be getting backstage and after party passes IF GOD WILLING!!!! Go ACDC 2015

I hate that singer!

AC/DC was Angus + Bon. Bon Scott was a true singer, gifted with huge vocal capabilities. I remember to have see them in France (with the local hard rock band Trust who were close friend with Angus and Bon), and Bon Scott surprised us with a blues(!!!!!! low tone voice) at the end of the show.

My sympahties to Angus/Malcom and their famillies and loved one.

what an honour bestowed on you to see one of the all time greats of rock and roll. What the hell will we all do when the likes of Santana, Stones, ACDC all go who will we be left with? On a positive side there is lots of great new music out there and one example is Melbourne Artist Chelsea Wilson if you like soft soul sounds check her out, Bloody cute too!!

I still listen to their music on a regular basis, mostly pre Johnson stuff though... Gone Shootin is a great song...55555

I do not believe they are Australian.. Welsh or that area.

Brian Johnson is a Geordie

the brothers young are Scottish..and they emigrated tio Aussie as kids

In reality they are and rightly so classed as an Aussie band

• Like 2

Bad news, Great band.

Yes if you like hearing power chords being played over and over! Now pink floyd are a great band IMHO!

Dont get me wrong as not turning this into a "who is better" thread, AC/DC along with Floyd have their places in rock music, I love both bands music, but they are different genres of rock, you cant compare them ,Floyd progressed from being a "blues band" into "avant-garde space rock" which suited they type of band they were, ie university graduate, arty farty type stuff, into jazz and at times trying to be too "clever"

while AC/DC stood and stayed firmly in the roots of "rock and roll" ie working class, 12 bar progessions/ 3 chords songs, "3 minute blitzkreigs", just played faster and loader than everyone else, they took their inspiration IMHO from the Kinks and I guess Sabbath, although I believe AC/DC themselves have never classed themselves as a heavy metal band

I have the whole Floyd catalog on my I-pod and as must as I like them, think at times they got very self-indulgent and very pretenious in their music, trying to send "messages" , while AC/DC's message has always simple....in your face sex,drugs, booze, cars "rock and roll" and having a good time...laugh.png

The one thing you can say about AC/DC what ever someone thinks of them, they can write good/recognisable guitar riffs, one only has to listen to the 6 muted chords in the first two bars of "Back in Black" and you know what the song is without being told and strictly speaking they havent played a note...thumbsup.gif

Its a sad day when any musican is prevented or unable to do the thing they love to do.

I suppose at the end of the day all we can say is.. "Let there be Rock" what ever the genre you listen to ....thumbsup.gif

• Like 2