Last resort before formating

ezzra

My HP DV6000 ( yeah I know, ancient machine) running legal WIN7 Ultimate 64 bits is getting sluggish

and clutters with all sorts of unwanted, left over, and just plain rubbish bit and pieces that make

using it an agony already, I have tried all the free cleaning apps available on the net, not much help,

so before I'll format this old donkey of mine and spend time reloading all the material back

I need something that reset, thoroughly will clean the machine and I'm happy to pay for the right app,

all suggestion will be appreciated....

To make things easier ... to rest your mind about losing anything... get a disk cloning software - make an image of your disk and put it on another drive... Use an outboard disk enclosure that attaches by USB... Then go about totally cleaning up your original hard drive... format if necessary ... This setup makes a great full back up procedure in the future - not just a one time shot / usage.

• Like 1

To make things easier ... to rest your mind about losing anything... get a disk cloning software - make an image of your disk and put it on another drive... Use an outboard disk enclosure that attaches by USB... Then go about totally cleaning up your original hard drive... format if necessary ... This setup makes a great full back up procedure in the future - not just a one time shot / u

Or go and buy an SSD to put W7 and programs on and use the old drive to keep all your data on. You will be surprised at the improvement in speed.

Maybe you HDD is dying or have a small problem

you can check doing [Windows key] + [R] and write

cmd [Enter]

in the black console write

chkdsk c: /F [Enter]

that will start to check and fix your disk (if is possible)

you will see something like this if it's ok

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  11776 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  73 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.
  0 EA records processed.
  0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  15226 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  11776 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  1725 data files processed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

2072575 KB total disk space.
   1140344 KB in 9463 files.
      3540 KB in 1727 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
     24671 KB in use by the system.
     12416 KB occupied by the log file.
    904020 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    518143 total allocation units on disk.
    226005 allocation units available on disk.

if you see "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

so everything is ok

But if you got a message like Windows made some fixes or etc there was some problems but windows fixed it, sometimes some of this problems are persistent so you will need to repeat the process one time more

If you see

XXX KB in bad sectors. mean is not actually "Zero"

Your harddisk need replace, and is better to start to do backups of the important thing since your HDD is already losing data in bad sectors.

Another option could be the RAM in your laptop, win 7 x64 use 1.2 1.5 GB of RAM, to run smoth you should have 3 or 4GB

if you have just 2 GB in RAM should be better to install win 7 x86 or 32bit (uses .7 or 1GB in ram)

think that applications like Firefox or chrome with some few tabs open are already using 300 or 500 MB.

But in wherever situation you should replace your HDD for a SSD and upgrade your RAM, sure that will give some fresh air for a couple of years more.

Format is always recommended, some internal part of windows are like an accounting book that you will never be able to delete records and that will grow and grow, only the format can reset that "3540 KB in 1727 indexes." once I got more than "20.000.000 Indexes" that is equal to a very bad performance and 20GB less in your HDD in hidden indexes.

-snip-

Why are you running a 64 Bit OS?

Maybe because 32 bit can only see 4 gig of RAM, where 64 bit ultimate, professional, and enterprise can use 192 gig? The other 64 bit versions can use 16 or 8 gig except Starter which can only use 2.

I know what it does..

OP, I asked someone else here how long it had been since he defragged his hard disk. If it's never been done, that will do it. Mine gets done once a week.

In Windows 7, Disk Defragmenter runs at regular intervals when your computer is turned on, so you don't have to remember to run it.

Sounds like your creating your own problem

Back up your PC and format it. Copy the My documents folder, not really that hard.

Why are you running a 64 Bit OS?

Not sure really, the guy whom I bought the OS from also installed it for me, didn't know

till later that I'm running 64 bits..

OP, I asked someone else here how long it had been since he defragged his hard disk. If it's never been done, that will do it. Mine gets done once a week.

I regularly run the most widely cleaning and defragging apps and keep my computer clean as

much as possible, but some left over stubborn stuff still remain and just make computing

sluggish and annoying at time,

I going to implement some of the suggestions given here and see how it will help...

"legal WIN7 Ultimate 64 bit"? Does that mean that you have a genuine Microsoft COA? I'm sceptical.

What is the actual current specification? Had RAM been added since new?You can glean the actual model number this way

Post it here.

It would have been much quicker to back up and to run a clean install, than the amount of time that you have spent messing around thus far. But let's get some idea of the hardware beforehand. It may be better to install 32 bit if you are running low of RAM and not willing to upgrade.

From experience, I know that most people here are looking for a sticker plaster solution, rather than getting to the root of the problem.

Invest a few $$ in purchasing 'System Mechanic Professional'. This does everything, yes everything, to correct faults and keep your computer running smoothly. Been using Sys Mech for over a decade now. You'll be glad you did.

I thought you were being serious till I saw your username ;-)

Please clean your drive c first.Go to My Computer, right click properties and clean disk. Try Your Uninstaller pro, it will get rid off unbelievable junk.

Use " Super AntiSApyware Pro, plus AVG Anti virus 2014 and you'll have a good functioning machine.

AVG Tune up has a fantastic Defragment program.

But before you do so, download Hardrive Sentinel and see how good your drive is. Good luck!

Please clean your drive c first.Go to My Computer, right click properties and clean disk. Try Your Uninstaller pro, it will get rid off unbelievable junk.

Use " Super AntiSApyware Pro, plus AVG Anti virus 2014 and you'll have a good functioning machine.

AVG Tune up has a fantastic Defragment program.

But before you do so, download Hardrive Sentinel and see how good your drive is. Good luck!

Groan.....