Expats complain about traffic, but police say crackdown working

Rimmer

I never had a problem to understand a sign. Even it's hidden behind tree

Really? Are you psychic or do you have x-ray vision? Which leads me nicely (the psychic part) to my favorite road sign placed before some dangerous intersections outside city limits: "Accident ahead".

attachicon.gifthrsel.jpg

Fortunately, my Thai language skills are sufficient to understand this "beware of falling elephants" road sign. tongue.png

It's easy to read it just says "Reduce speed elephants crossing in 100 metres."

I wonder who can give the definitive guide to the English spelling of Pattaya. There must be at least half a dozen versions.

attachicon.gifthrsel.jpg

Fortunately, my Thai language skills are sufficient to understand this "beware of falling elephants" road sign. tongue.png

It's easy to read it just says "Reduce speed elephants crossing in 100 metres."

I wonder who can give the definitive guide to the English spelling of Pattaya. There must be at least half a dozen versions.

Seems that I should have used my 'sarcasm alert' smiley... wink.pngpost-91253-0-61026300-1411771627.gif

• Like 1

Seriously? Signs should be in English? How arrogant!

How sensible - for a globally popular tourist resort, and a country about to open its borders to its regional bloc partners.

In this case the second language on panels should be Chinese wink.png or maybe Russian rolleyes.gif

They are not so many types of panels in Thai; just learn what they mean,

or if you are a tourist, check for them on the Internet before your holidays.

Many countries where there is no sign in English and where it's not a problem.

For the record, I am not a tourist here, English is not my native language and I can read, speak and understand enough Thai for traveling around this country without any major problem, but this task would be quite difficult for most tourists if English, but also romanisation, were not largely in use in tourist destinations.

English is the de facto international language and that's why indications and directions are given in English, for instance in international airports. Roman script is the de facto international writing system, that's why Russian, Chinese, Thai (etc.) names are romanised for instance in passports.

Therefore, if a country, where roman script is not the main writing system, is serious about being or becoming a major tourist destination, at least romanisation should be largely in use there for road signs, maps (etc.) but also English for most travel-related communications because every international traveler is already supposed to understand at least a few basic words and expressions in this language.

But complaining that the sign isnt in English is no excuse: Thai drivers licenses require understanding of Thai traffic laws, regardless of whether the motorist can read the language on the sign or not.

Not all foreign drivers in Pattaya (and elsewhere in Thailand) are expats and I am pretty certain that most law-abiding tourists don't have a Thai driving licence, but rather have an international driving permit (and never have learned to read Thai language or Thai specific road signs). facepalm.gif

Especially in tourist destinations, road signs should be written also in (preferably proper) English!

Very true, at weekends driving in Pattaya becomes much worse and that is due to the influx from the Capitol.

It isn't only the increase in traffic, but you see a different style of driving.

We may also get quite a few coming in from rural areas causing mayhem as they are confused by one-way systems and filters etc.

I believe the Expats have likely learned what the signs are meant to mean, and have also picked upon the 'unwritten' rules, like a recently red traffic light means accelerate.

As far as tourists are concerned, well they are mostly Chinese, Russian and Indian, so are 'poorly' translated signs in English a major worry?

[...]

As far as tourists are concerned, well they are mostly Chinese, Russian and Indian, so are 'poorly' translated signs in English a major worry?

At least, road signs should not be confusing, especially if they warn of dangerous or unusual conditions ahead.

But sometimes, even if they are written in proper English, they may be misinterpreted. tongue.png

post-91253-0-33273000-1411775233_thumb.j

• Like 1

Just came back from some errands in town. Cars double parked all over Klang, 2nd road, Beach road. Baht buses stopping right in the left lane even when there was plenty of room to pull over and let cars pass. Baht buses parked in red striped areas. And not a policeman in sight.

Like Ive said before if these jerk baht bus drivers do not pull over to curb - do not board them. I give them a chance to pull over by waving them to curb. If not forget it.

I think it's arrogant to say that.

Go to any developed country where english is not the native language and there is a high concentration of foreigners and I bet there are signs in english.

Putting signs in english is not just going to benefit those people that speak english, it will indirectly benefit the thais also... same with learning to speak english...not necessarily to benefit english speakers, but many thais would benefit to learn to speak english.

English has become the universal language in science, engineering, medicine, etc.

Many countries have adopted it as their second language.

In the SW of the US, many signs are in spanish.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

I think a first sensible move who be to progressively modify signs by those ("nearly" standardised ones)

used in many countries, such as define in the Vienna Convention. (examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warning_sign#General_caution)

The most important thing probably would be to supress this "full Thai text" signs

to replace them by graphic signs (with no text) that every one can easily understand.

A bit more colors coherence could be nice too, like:

- Red = prohibition/restriction,

- Yellow/Orange = warning,

- Blue = information (or direction)

• Like 1

RIJoe, on 26 Sept 2014 - 16:07, said:

Arrogant?????????????

The official language of ASEAN is English!

Thailand wants tourists to come here. Ensure tourists can understand by using a language that can at least be read by most tourists.

If you have never driven in a country before the normal thing to do is do what everyone else does, if they stop or turn on a red then you should do the same.

You learn from your peers.

Anyway if the roads are really that bad do like most in Bangkok, use the pavements far safer to hit a person that another car.

How about the rule that you CAN turn left at a red light? Though this doesn't apply for every intersection!!! Have been caught out once, though lucky for me i had my GF to explain to the copper i couldn't read the sign.......he was pissed off that he didn't collect his lunch money. As we were driving off my GF told me he wasn't in the mood to do all the BS paperwork back at the station 55555555555

Can you. I always take the position that you can't unless there is a sign, such as the blue ones you'll sometimes see, telling you can. In 30 years never been fined for making an illegal turn though I've been honked at a lot by those who think they can only to be caught when they get round the corner.

While the signs writing may leave a lot to be desired the coloring of the sign and it's symbol should give you a pretty good indication of its meaning.

How about the rule that you CAN turn left at a red light?

Can you. I always take the position that you can't unless there is a sign, //

In Pattaya it's the opposite: You are authorized to turn left at red light,

... except if there is a sign that says you can't.

This sign usually is in both Thai and English.

Strange wording though like this one: "Turn left waiting light"

ma8yhehu.jpg

• Like 2

How about the rule that you CAN turn left at a red light? Though this doesn't apply for every intersection!!! Have been caught out once, though lucky for me i had my GF to explain to the copper i couldn't read the sign.......he was pissed off that he didn't collect his lunch money. As we were driving off my GF told me he wasn't in the mood to do all the BS paperwork back at the station 55555555555

Can you. I always take the position that you can't unless there is a sign, such as the blue ones you'll sometimes see, telling you can. In 30 years never been fined for making an illegal turn though I've been honked at a lot by those who think they can only to be caught when they get round the corner.

While the signs writing may leave a lot to be desired the coloring of the sign and it's symbol should give you a pretty good indication of its meaning.

So you are one of the guys that blocks left turning traffic?

The guys behind you are honking because you CAN turn left at every red light provided you give way/yield to traffic entering the same road from your right or there is a sign prohibiting a left turn.

You are also allowed to go straight through a red light if you are in the left lane at the through section of a T-Junction but again it is not YOUR right of way.

In Pattaya it's the opposite: You are authorized to turn left at red light,

... except if there is a sign that says you can't.

This sign usually is in both Thai and English.

Strange wording though like this one: "Turn left waiting light"

ma8yhehu.jpg

And there are also plenty of signs saying you can turn left. So when there are signs saying 'you can' and others saying 'you can't' what is the procedure when there is no sign? I err on the side of caution and don't turn. Safer, no fines, not in a hurry to get somewhere especially the hospital or cop shop. And what is Pattaya the opposite of, the rest of Thailand? I hardly think so when it comes to traffic regulations.

So you are one of the guys that blocks left turning traffic?

The guys behind you are honking because you CAN turn left at every red light provided you give way/yield to traffic entering the same road from your right or there is a sign prohibiting a left turn.

You are also allowed to go straight through a red light if you are in the left lane at the through section of a T-Junction but again it is not YOUR right of way.

I don't block anybody because I ride a motorcycle and keep well to the left when waiting at red light to turn left. No body gets stuck behind me. Many times there is no sign but a green left filter light. Wouldn't that indicate not to turn left while the red light is on but the green filter is off. Or do you charging ahead in the hope that there is nobody to catch you round the corner.

One time I did get caught was in your second scenario. Got and paid ticket. Never do it again unless there is a sign, which you do see sometimes, saying I can. The second scenario is highly dangerous as those that believe it mostly do not give right of way and many times I, who have right of way at that moment in time, have almost been knocked off my bike.

The confusing thing is the mix up of signs. Some say 'you can' while others say 'you can't' at exactly the same type of junction. You say 'you can' as long as there is a sign saying 'you cant'. I take the opposite point of view and after 30 years of motorcycling in and around Pattaya have never had an accident and only been fined rarely.

The traffic problem in Pattaya aren't the sign !!!

Its the gnornaz of almost all traffic laws and most of thai have no idea of driving in a proper way!

There is no "crackdown" at all here in Pattaya. Police is sitting in their boots and wait for what? instead of beeing on the streets to contorl and regulate . Jut ready to fine motorcyclist by not wearing a helmet or whatever.

If some one break the traffic rules because driing against One Way streets, stopping on the lanes while shopping and not care about the traffic problems they cause and and and

My experiance on a left turn without signal: i stopped, police guy came and told me i have to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks fot advice!

Thats Pattaya, a dangerouse place to drive a car, as i do and also dangerous for motobikes!

No worry, Thais dont worry about anything!

And sure some stupid Farang!

"Expats complain about traffic" turns out to be one expat who has been here years and has yet to work out what the various road signs mean, reckons it's the Thais who do the bad driving; but never bothers driving in town anyway.

If he did bother to drive around a bit he would find out that the signs are that not difficult to decipher and that there is no shortage of non-Thais driving like idiots.

Another non-story; but it does give people a chance to have a good whinge.

I don't block anybody because I ride a motorcycle and keep well to the left when waiting at red light to turn left. No body gets stuck behind me. Many times there is no sign but a green left filter light. Wouldn't that indicate not to turn left while the red light is on but the green filter is off. Or do you charging ahead in the hope that there is nobody to catch you round the corner.

One time I did get caught was in your second scenario. Got and paid ticket. Never do it again unless there is a sign, which you do see sometimes, saying I can. The second scenario is highly dangerous as those that believe it mostly do not give right of way and many times I, who have right of way at that moment in time, have almost been knocked off my bike.

The confusing thing is the mix up of signs. Some say 'you can' while others say 'you can't' at exactly the same type of junction. You say 'you can' as long as there is a sign saying 'you cant'. I take the opposite point of view and after 30 years of motorcycling in and around Pattaya have never had an accident and only been fined rarely.

These scenarios are actually in the Thai Driving Test.

These scenarios are actually in the Thai Driving Test.

They may be. It is a long time since I took the test and to be perfectly honest it is irrelevant to me as I choose to stop and wait until I'm given the go ahead by a green light. I cause no inconvenience to others being on a small motorbike keeping well to the left. And again if it is in the test and the law why the 'you can' and the 'you can't'. Only one set is needed as the law, according to ATF stipulates the other is the norm and no sign should be needed. And as for the drive straight through a red, with care and giving way, at a T junction is one of the few times I have been stopped, ticketed and fined. It would seem that at least 2 traffic policemen need to retake or relearn Thai law with regards to red lights.