National condom strategy proposed

Lite Beer

National condom strategy proposed
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A "national strategy on condoms", proposed by the Public Health Ministry, aims to curb unwanted teenage pregnancies and protect people from sexual diseases and Aids. Thailand has one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies in the world.

The scheme, yet to be approved, as it needs to undergo a public hearing, would start next year and run for four years, a seminar was told yesterday.

The Public Health Ministry's Disease Control Department has pushed for the scheme, which deputy department head Dr Somsak Atthasil described as a world first.

The idea originated in 1987 when more than 150,000 Thais contracted HIV, but the need for this was reinforced by data over the past five years showing that the number of teenagers with venereal disease had doubled.

A study also found that only 40 per cent of teenagers used condoms during sex, which caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases.

The scheme has five objectives - to raise awareness on the use of condoms and ensure greater acceptance among parents of the possibility of their children using condoms; to provide easier access for people to buy condoms and lubricant; to improve and control the quality of condoms; to build an environment that persuades individuals to use condoms; and promote study and evaluation of activities about condom use.

Somsak said most Thai parents were reluctant to accept the sale of condoms via vending machines in schools, though many realised that condoms were the best and easiest way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and venereal diseases for their children.

The scheme would be conducted with heightened awareness campaigns. It would see condoms in Thailand made in two categories based on the quantity of lubricant on the outside - those with the quantity under a World Health Organisation standard of 50mg apiece, and those with extra lubricant, according to Dr Wiwat Rojjanaphitthayakorn, an expert with Ramathibodi's Faculty of Medicine.

Condoms with extra lubricant would favour both the sex workers, for extra pleasure, and clients, who will be encouraged by sex workers to always use condoms. This would ensure a greater chance of curbing the spread of disease.

Dr Kittiphong sae-Jeng, a senior ministry official, said women under 25 undergo abortions at state hospitals in 13 provinces while the rate was also high for teenagers. He said condom use could also prevent or minimise the chance of intercourse-related cancer of the cervix and anus in women.

An official with the United Nations Population Fund, Wassana Im-aim, said the annual birth rate in Thailand could be cut to 600,000 over the next few decades from the current rate of 800,000 babies a year. At present, teenage mothers have about 130,000 children in Thailand each year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/National-condom-strategy-proposed-30244239.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-27

"The Public Health Ministry's Disease Control Department has pushed for the scheme, which deputy department head Dr Somsak Atthasil described as a world first."

Handing out condoms only just discovered by Thais is now a world first? They are kildding! Australia has been doing this for about 30+ years.

"If its not on its not on" or they could use our condom man poster?

Free Condoms and education will help prevent disease and pregnancies.

• Like 1

At present, teenage mothers have about 130,000 children in Thailand each year.

Few teenage mothers have responsible bf to stick around and help with the expenses of raising the children...forcing mothers to take whatever job is available to support the child...many times falling into the bar and massage parlor trap...something should be done about this aspect of Thai society...make the father "man up" and be required to pay for his moment of pleasure...

• Like 1

Will most wear them.............NO!

I believe most women want at least one, especially when the time clock is ticking, and because most say, 'alone is better,' they are not particular who their daddy is!

Just my thoughts.

A study also found that only 40 per cent of teenagers used condoms during sex, which caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases.

Condoms with extra lubricant would favour both the sex workers, for extra pleasure, and clients, who will be encouraged by sex workers to always use condoms. This would ensure a greater chance of curbing the spread of disease.

Might be 4 % of the teenagers. Extra lubricant in form of rotten fishsauce will do it. Welcome in the 21st century.

"A study also found that only 40 per cent of teenagers used condoms during sex, which caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases."

Someone needs to check their english. The word "which" is connective like the word "and", giving the meaning to the statement as "condoms caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases." And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases. This is an amateur article at best.

Also, while the lack of a condom may lead to an unwanted pregnancy (ie., there has to be an egg to fertilize within several days of intercourse), there are a variety of inexpensive (as little as B50) and effective "day-after" chemical abortion pills available at almost every pharmacy. If taken within 72 hours of intercourse, no pregnancy.

"The scheme would be conducted with heightened awareness campaigns. It would see condoms in Thailand made in two categories based on the quantity of lubricant on the outside - those with the quantity under a World Health Organisation standard of 50mg apiece, and those with extra lubricant, according to Dr Wiwat Rojjanaphitthayakorn, an expert with Ramathibodi's Faculty of Medicine."

Maybe in two sizes as well, Asian and None Asian? giggle.gif

Edited by Basil B

"The Public Health Ministry's Disease Control Department has pushed for the scheme, which deputy department head Dr Somsak Atthasil described as a world first."

Handing out condoms only just discovered by Thais is now a world first? They are kildding! Australia has been doing this for about 30+ years.

Another failed attempt at ridiculing and bashing Thais.

It would be a "world's first" if you actually read the report, this is nothing to do with "handing out condoms", no mention of that at all in the 5-part plan.

"A study also found that only 40 per cent of teenagers used condoms during sex, which caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases."

Someone needs to check their english. The word "which" is connective like the word "and", giving the meaning to the statement as "condoms caused unwanted pregnancies and the spread of diseases." And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases. This is an amateur article at best.

Also, while the lack of a condom may lead to an unwanted pregnancy (ie., there has to be an egg to fertilize within several days of intercourse), there are a variety of inexpensive (as little as B50) and effective "day-after" chemical abortion pills available at almost every pharmacy. If taken within 72 hours of intercourse, no pregnancy.

And someone (you, perhaps?) needs to check their own grammar and whether this is a Thai language report translated into English.

"And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases. This is an amateur article at best"

Your sentence here ("And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases.") does not make sense due to the inclusion of the word "who", so your grammatical criticism has no credibility at all and that is very important when you're having a go at others so you don't sound amateur, at best.

Edited by Triplebank999

New idea, worlds first ! He has got to be kidding. As a young Royal Navy rating back in the 50's, i could always reach out as i mounted the gangway of my cruiser and grab a few free condoms if i wanted them before going ashore.

If I remember well, reading on TV, Yingluck was supposed to distribute 10million condoms around the country for free.

What happened to that scheme?

Or it's just making headlines every so often and then forget all about it?

7/11 got hold of them and sold them !!

Condom dispensing machines should be placed in every restroom facility in every School and University across the kingdom. Plus, the condom should be made available for FREE. Yes, NO charge for the condom at all. The National Health Scheme should pick up the cost of this program. I don't believe it will promote sexual intercourse to teenagers, but it will promote safe sex and help prevent unwanted pregnancies. If young people are going to engage in sexual intercourse, they're going to do it regardless what is taught to them as in "abstinence". Teenager's hormones are at peak level and it is only natural for them to want to engage in sex. Education and promoting condom use should be available in every School if any Official is really serious about the issue. A real "No Glove - No Love!" program. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Another failed attempt at ridiculing and bashing Thais.

It would be a "world's first" if you actually read the report, this is nothing to do with "handing out condoms", no mention of that at all in the 5-part plan.

The objectives of the scheme are similar to the work that has been done in Oz. I worked in the project and collected and submitted data. We also provided education programs. So sorry Triple, but it is not a world first. Some of the early posters promoting condom use are very collectable, Reg Mombassa did a couple of posters I believe.

Its not Thai bashing, its just making a statement of fact.

Why doesnt the gov buy the thai rubber to make their own condoms and at the same time increase demand and selling price for thai rubber helping the rubber tree farmers at the same time. They can make a profit selling the condoms to kids, would-be rapists/killers, and prostitutes for a profit.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I remember well, reading on TV, Yingluck was supposed to distribute 10million condoms around the country for free.

What happened to that scheme?

Or it's just making headlines every so often and then forget all about it?

Leaving aside the rather disturbing image of Ms Yingluck staggering around the countryside laden down with 10 million condoms handing them out willy nilly ( get that did you?); if she approached me and asked me if I wanted a condom I might just have to go and lie down in a darkened room!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And someone (you, perhaps?) needs to check their own grammar and whether this is a Thai language report translated into English.

"And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases. This is an amateur article at best"

Your sentence here ("And just because 60% of teenagers who did not use condoms does not mean that all became pregnant or spread diseases.") does not make sense due to the inclusion of the word "who", so your grammatical criticism has no credibility at all and that is very important when you're having a go at others so you don't sound amateur, at best.

Well knew what the article meant. but then again I have lived in Thailand long enough to understand that they do not have perfect English Grammar. So I do not expect it or criticize it.

This is what one should expect if they want to read the Thai English newspapers. I would suggest that the poster start up his/her own thread on proper grammar.

Makes no difference to me if it is the first or the 102 one. I think it is a good idea.

The operation of Senator Mechai, on soi 12, is excellent. His restaurant Cabbage & Condoms, passes out condoms with each bill. He also has gone around to local entertainer areas and pass out condoms.

What a character he is....first time I met him I was with a bunch of other Travel Journos and Khun Mechai Viravaidya and he handed each of us a Key Ring with a Condom in it.

Back in those days, the Thai word for Condom, was "Mechai." He was excellent TV Talent, he was educated at Geelong Gramma and Melbourne University in Australia and new exactly which "buttons to press" to get the News Media on side with him.

At present, teenage mothers have about 130,000 children in Thailand each year.

Few teenage mothers have responsible bf to stick around and help with the expenses of raising the children...forcing mothers to take whatever job is available to support the child...many times falling into the bar and massage parlor trap...something should be done about this aspect of Thai society...make the father "man up" and be required to pay for his moment of pleasure...

Do you really believe in what you are saying? It's ti culture to have children in early ages, why you think they should do as europeans do? Why do you think you know what's the correct? :)

The funny is the law... sex under 18 is prohibited and guy will be sent to prison (if her parents do not like him) for seducing underage... From the other hand, the same law suggests using condom... which in turn means: please brake the law... Where is the logic? hahaha

Edited by GertrudeL