Where to buy a Union Jack and Thai flags?

simon43

Bites tongue regarding name of flag........

Why bite your tongue?

Please share your thoughts.

OK, but, only because you asked.

If it was a foreigner, I wouldn't mind, but, for a fellow Brit..........

The correct name for what everyone thinks is the Union Jack is actually, the Union flag.

It is only called a Union Jack when flown from the jack-staff of a boat, or ship. The jack-staff is that little flag-pole on the stern of the vessel.

I must admit........I feel a lot better for that........

You learn something new everyday.

OK, but, only because you asked.

If it was a foreigner, I wouldn't mind, but, for a fellow Brit..........

The correct name for what everyone thinks is the Union Jack is actually, the Union flag.

It is only called a Union Jack when flown from the jack-staff of a boat, or ship. The jack-staff is that little flag-pole on the stern of the vessel.

I must admit........I feel a lot better for that........

You learn something new everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

The Union Jack, also known as the Union Flag, is the national flag of the United Kingdom.

The claim that the term "Union Jack" properly refers only to naval usage has been disputed, following historical investigations by the Flag Institute in 2013.

It has been claimed that "Union Jack" was the name given to the flag flown on the "jack staff" of ships of the Royal Navy. However, the flag existed long before ships had jack-staffs, so it is more likely that the jack-staff is named after the flag.

Graham Bartram (born 18 July 1963), a British vexillologist who is currently (2013) the Secretary-General for Congresses of the Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques and the Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute, when interviewed on the BBC Broadcasting House programme on 13th October 2013, stated that either name was perfectly valid whatever the purpose. He stated that the theory that the flag should only be referred to as Union Jack when flown at sea was wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland uses as its national flag the royal banner known as the Union Jack or Union Flag (despite popular belief, both terms are technically correct).

• Like 2

Apart from at embassies, it is forbidden to fly another big size national flag than the Thai one. But maybe Simon just plans to decorate his guest rooms with Union Jacks.

and police won't enforce the law anyway head out to any bigger farang-ghetto and you will see..

The way I learnt it, the national flag flies on top, any other nation can be flown underneath it. The Thais aren't too much into their heraldics anyway, I see the Union Jack on the back of bags and on peoples' bums everyday, so....

Not quite correct ..

"The courtesy flag is flown at the boat's starboard spreader, whether the United States ensign is at the stern staff, or flown from the leech. If there is more than one mast, the courtesy flag is flown from the starboard spreader of the forward mast."

Source - https://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/general-seamanship/flag-etiquette

The way I learnt it, the national flag flies on top, any other nation can be flown underneath it. The Thais aren't too much into their heraldics anyway, I see the Union Jack on the back of bags and on peoples' bums everyday, so....

Not quite correct ..

"The courtesy flag is flown at the boat's starboard spreader, whether the United States ensign is at the stern staff, or flown from the leech. If there is more than one mast, the courtesy flag is flown from the starboard spreader of the forward mast."

Source - https://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/general-seamanship/flag-etiquette

Balderdash. Unless the OP lives on a ship.

Many years ago I bought a collection of small flags of many nations and a large Union Jack at one of those yellow shops that sell all temple Buddha stuff.

Yellow candles and yellow gift buckets and the like plus flags, but you had to go inside to see the foreign flags.

smile.png