100 baht a day for food. Is it still possible?

zierf1

Why did you guys wind up the Bird Man........?? Listen up, not all Thai food comes wrapped up in a plastic bag or served on a plastic table. I don't understand why some are inclined to brag about how cheaply they can survive. Me, I haven't had a budget since I was 10 yrs. old. So, you work hard all your lives and in the end you are left bragging about how cheap you can live instead of how well you live. Unbelievable..............

Agreed. I work hard now and absolutly love being able to live in a nice house with AC. I love Thai food, I love Italian food, and you know what?, i love a big fat steak now and again.

These guys that live like this are the biggest snobs you'll meet. They try and make you feel guilty for working hard and earning a good wage allowing you to live a very comfortable life in Thailand.

I dount any of the showsting mob are happy in reality. The fact that this guy mentions how great his life is in every post says to me he's bitterly unhappy and second away from killing many people in a rage

How you can claim you're living a comfortable life in Thailand, if you're in reality half of your time working somewhere offshore in another country ?

Why did you guys wind up the Bird Man........?? Listen up, not all Thai food comes wrapped up in a plastic bag or served on a plastic table. I don't understand why some are inclined to brag about how cheaply they can survive. Me, I haven't had a budget since I was 10 yrs. old. So, you work hard all your lives and in the end you are left bragging about how cheap you can live instead of how well you live. Unbelievable..............

Agreed. I work hard now and absolutly love being able to live in a nice house with AC. I love Thai food, I love Italian food, and you know what?, i love a big fat steak now and again.

These guys that live like this are the biggest snobs you'll meet. They try and make you feel guilty for working hard and earning a good wage allowing you to live a very comfortable life in Thailand.

I dount any of the showsting mob are happy in reality. The fact that this guy mentions how great his life is in every post says to me he's bitterly unhappy and second away from killing many people in a rage

How you can claim you're living a comfortable life in Thailand, if you're in reality half of your time working somewhere offshore in another country ?

I'll let you work it out

Good night :)

Hello again Viewers! biggrin.png

Well another angle on the 100 baht a day " daily allowance " for the original poster:

As you all know i have become a bit of a professional " sniffing out " a cool rental deal on rooms,houses,condos etc...When i was last in Chiang Mai " rooting about " in the country villages i found " a pot of gold " ( not literally viewers...)

A 5 bedroom Thai Mansion with huge gardens and a massive lake ( filled with " big scary looking fish " ) two garages a long drive way and an orchard fully loaded with various fruits! ( ideal for making homemade Jam ) It also came with a gardener to keep everything in order and was offered unfurnished for a cool 10,000 baht a month.( as usual these properties are not advertised and needs a lot of " footwork " large bottles of water and lots of " knocking on doors "...)

You see you can live in " a luxurious surround " and something that would look great in " Homes & Gardens " Magazine and still live on your 100 baht a day for food etc and so for 15,000 baht a month " ALL IN " you can live like the Lord himself! Of course this is a " ridiculously " expensive Lifestyle but just another one of my " cool ideas " Viewers.........

Farang jaidee ( " fully loaded with cool ideas " ..) giggle.gif

• Like 2

Ask that of some of the Thai men in the village I stay. They work overseas with 2 yr. contracts. If life was so grand living on a shoestring they would stay at home. Or, they leave the village for work in Bangkok in order to provide for family.

Eating on 100 baht a day in thailand is easy, not hard to do if you have to and you don't have any ambition. The restaraunt we enjoy eating at is very busy at lunch with all Thai customers who arrive via car and truck, no motorbikes. Lunch for 2 an easy 400 baht. Living like a Thai doesn't mean buying all your meals in plastic bags for 25 baht.

Come up to Isaan and live like a thai, get a lesson in the proper way to skin and clean a rat, collect your next meal from the land. And it's all free imagine that. 100 baht a day could feed a family for days.

But, I perfer Makro myself.........

It would take a lot more to wind me up!

(But I do seem to be doing " a rather splendid job " winding up some of our viewers who have a " more serious " outlook on life.....)

Did you say you have all been working hard viewers? It's just that I am 50 years old and haven't worked a single day in my life......

God bless you all! F.J x

I understand that no one wants to employ you :)

• Like 2

Ask that of some of the Thai men in the village I stay. They work overseas with 2 yr. contracts. If life was so grand living on a shoestring they would stay at home. Or, they leave the village for work in Bangkok in order to provide for family.

Eating on 100 baht a day in thailand is easy, not hard to do if you have to and you don't have any ambition. The restaraunt we enjoy eating at is very busy at lunch with all Thai customers who arrive via car and truck, no motorbikes. Lunch for 2 an easy 400 baht. Living like a Thai doesn't mean buying all your meals in plastic bags for 25 baht.

Come up to Isaan and live like a thai, get a lesson in the proper way to skin and clean a rat, collect your next meal from the land. And it's all free imagine that. 100 baht a day could feed a family for days.

But, I perfer Makro myself.........

The difference lays in ones point of view regarding a comfortable life.

When I lived in Europe I had a really good business making loads of money, owned at least 2 luxury cars at any given moment, went on exotic holidays, never needed to check my account balance and spend eating and drinking at the best places. I also enjoyed my work and my clients, and worked many hours a day, if possible 7 days a week.

I retired at an early age, on my own decision, and moved to Thailand where I don't work and the quality of eating and drinking establishments is way below the standard I was used to. In fact I don't even bother with them anymore.

But the only thing that can force me to wake up in the morning is when I have to go to the loo.

My comfortable life started, when I arrived in Thailand

• Like 2

If you want to live in such a low budget don't you think time is come to go back home?????

I can't imagine trying to live on such a budget. I don't want or need to. The OP for some reason wants to try it I guess.

I wonder why you post the question as to why he doesn't go back to his home country? He's not complaning is he?

Sorry if I seem to wrongly imply you'er not being nice but it happens so often on this board that one or more posters jump on the band wagon and tell the OP to go back to his own country. I find that tedious.

Cheers

• Like 1

If you want to live in such a low budget don't you think time is come to go back home?????

I can't imagine trying to live on such a budget. I don't want or need to. The OP for some reason wants to try it I guess.

I wonder why you post the question as to why he doesn't go back to his home country? He's not complaning is he?

Sorry if I seem to wrongly imply you'er not being nice but it happens so often on this board that one or more posters jump on the band wagon and tell the OP to go back to his own country. I find that tedious.

Cheers

Not sure why so many people are equating 100bht/day for food as a low budget.

Posters might be spending 10,000bht a day on wine, women and song ...... just not of food.

This thread isn't about your entire budget, just the food bit of it.

To all the young viewers "tuning in" from international water (outside of Thailand)

Don't let any "cheap charlie" farang fool you to come here and live for 100 baht a day budget (about $ 3).

1. You can't get any visa for living in Thailand being under 50 and having that budget.

2. You can't afford to do any visa runs to other countries with that budget

3. You have to live like a bum or a very poor peasant

Edited by bangkoklasse

Well, to answer your question "why?" I'd like to do it because maybe I'm not as rich as many of you. You see, my income is small(hello ladies giggle.gif ). My last apartment(fan cooled) was 3000 baht per month. I eat Thai food(street food) 99% of the time in Thailand. The reason I wanted to live in Thailand and not America is because I could not afford to live in America any more. I'm looking at lowering my food expediture so I can live on $5000(160,000 baht) a year or less(new budget). I'll soon be moving into a sleek Thai apartment(fan cooled) with a total cost of 1,800 baht per month($55). I think I can live on my new food budget. It just takes willpower to resist all those expensive farang restaurants.

• Like 1

What will happen if you get sick or have an accident ? So you need a hospital

govt hospital. good enough for me.

It may be good enough for you - but if you get very sick - you may change your mind.

It is not uncommon to be discharged early as they could have a shortage of beds - which also causes patients to sleep on the floor...

You won't often get the newest and best medicines.

The doctor/nurse ratio to patients is shall we say not ideal...

However, the best private hospitals in Thailand are quite good so if your low budget lifestyle allows lots of savings you may be just fine in a medical emergency.

Unfortunately viewers there seems to be so many " negative people " in this world ( 95 percent of them have ended up on Thai Visa ...) Life is short and you have " no time to be negative " negative people will pull you down in life! so be positive and " go for it " so many people create so many " obstacles & hurdles " and " What if ? " You have to take risks sometimes in life.But somebody who works all there life and then at 65 years old wants to move abroad is leaving it " too late in life " You should be doing these things when you are 30 - 50 years old and not at 65! You can quite easily live on 100 baht a day if you eat Thai food and do your own cooking like myself! Do you bake your own bread viewers....? ( i do )

Have a lovely day viewers!

It's 09.00 here in Thailand and the sun is shining and time to go out and enjoy this wonderful weather!

God bless you all viewers!

Your lovable Canary Bird " tweet tweet " viewers!

Farang Jaidee wub.png

It may be good enough for you - but if you get very sick - you may change your mind.

It is not uncommon to be discharged early as they could have a shortage of beds - which also causes patients to sleep on the floor...

However, the best private hospitals in Thailand are quite good so if your low budget lifestyle allows lots of savings you may be just fine in a medical emergency.

I've been in a government hospital.

No shortage of private rooms (500-1000bht a night extra)

I've never seen so many nurses in a ward before, you should try CMRAM intensive care, often no nurses to be found anywhere.

One thing government hospitals have in abundance is nurses and assistant nurses.

But anyway, not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that those who only want to spend 100bht a day on food can't afford health care.

But anyway, not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that those who only want to spend 100bht a day on food can't afford health care.

The mention of health was in response to the person saying they want to live here on $5,000USD for 12 months.

Well, to answer your question "why?" I'd like to do it because maybe I'm not as rich as many of you. You see, my income is small(hello ladies giggle.gif ). My last apartment(fan cooled) was 3000 baht per month. I eat Thai food(street food) 99% of the time in Thailand. The reason I wanted to live in Thailand and not America is because I could not afford to live in America any more. I'm looking at lowering my food expediture so I can live on $5000(160,000 baht) a year or less(new budget). I'll soon be moving into a sleek Thai apartment(fan cooled) with a total cost of 1,800 baht per month($55). I think I can live on my new food budget. It just takes willpower to resist all those expensive farang restaurants.

What happens if the USD takes a dump and suddenly your Bt.160,000 becomes Bt.100,000 ?

What are you doing for a visa ?

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Unfortunately viewers there seems to be so many " negative people " in this world ( 95 percent of them have ended up on Thai Visa ...) Life is short and you have " no time to be negative " negative people will pull you down in life! so be positive and " go for it " so many people create so many " obstacles & hurdles " and " What if ? " You have to take risks sometimes in life.But somebody who works all there life and then at 65 years old wants to move abroad is leaving it " too late in life " You should be doing these things when you are 30 - 50 years old and not at 65! You can quite easily live on 100 baht a day if you eat Thai food and do your own cooking like myself! Do you bake your own bread viewers....? ( i do )

Have a lovely day viewers!

It's 09.00 here in Thailand and the sun is shining and time to go out and enjoy this wonderful weather!

God bless you all viewers!

Your lovable Canary Bird " tweet tweet " viewers!

Farang Jaidee wub.png

The irony here is you are actually the most negative person on here.....but don;t see it. Those of us that work have a far better quality of life than you, naturally, you won't entertain this thought.

As i say, i firmly believe you are a split second away from being national hheadlines

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My total life in Thailand costs 100,000 Thai baht " all in " (rent,bills,food,visas,train journeys and my cool Kit to flip flops " resoled " twice a year for 120 baht....

And your point is ?

To be honest I would prefer to rub my anus with sandpaper then clean with bleach rather than live such a penniless lifestyle.

Well it all sounds " fabulous " but are you living the dream ....?

I've been in a government hospital.

No shortage of private rooms (500-1000bht a night extra)

I've never seen so many nurses in a ward before, you should try CMRAM intensive care, often no nurses to be found anywhere.

One thing government hospitals have in abundance is nurses and assistant nurses.

He wrote his budget was $5000 a year for everything. So I don't know where you got 100 a day!!!

You can't afford to stay in a Government hospital or do an operation if you have $ 400 a month to spend. And those $ 400 have to cover not only the hospital but all your other bills also

Edited by bangkoklasse

I see the TAT aiming for quality tourists has failed miserably already! cheesy.gif

• Like 2