Why Tony Blair is a gay icon

isanbirder

I have difficulty reconciling the pro-gay label placed on him by the Times with his making a very public conversion to Catholicism. While recent softening of its anti-gay bias under the present Pope, his audience was granted by the former Pope, one of the most anti-gay conservative Popes of recent times.

Of course there are many smörgåsbord Catholics, however, the recent converted rarely if ever gain audiences with previous Popes if they advocate gay rights. I must be missing something.

Regardless of his personal life or his war mongering he did a very great deal of good for the gay community in the UK.

He repealed Section 28 - a nasty piece of homophobic law.

He equalised he age of consent with heterosexuals.

He made employer discrimination against gays illegal

He started the whole civil partnership thing.

The ban on being gay in the military ended during his tenure as PM.

Not bad for a Roman Catholic!

• Like 1

Regardless of his personal life or his war mongering he did a very great deal of good for the gay community in the UK.

Why did you think I posted it, sustento? Some of us are actually quite human.

We've had this conversation before. I have nothing against individuals regardless of the religion they choose to follow. I do have problems with some of the institutions that control those religions and until those institutions change their ways I will continue to have problems with them.

• 2 weeks later...

he only did it for the gay vote
  • Like 1

AS the last ONS survey (in 2011) found that approximately 1.5% of the population of the UK are gay I suspect that he probably lost far more votes than he gained. Ever occurred to you that he did it simply because he thought it was the right thing to do?

AS the last ONS survey (in 2011) found that approximately 1.5% of the population of the UK are gay I suspect that he probably lost far more votes than he gained. Ever occurred to you that he did it simply because he thought it was the right thing to do?

"Ever occurred to you that he did it simply because he thought it was the right thing to do?"

Of course,he obviously did not think Imperialism and mass murder is not quite the moral or " right thing to do". But then, all the gay community is ever concerned about ,or even aware of, is .....

• Like 1

"Ever occurred to you that he did it simply because he thought it was the right thing to do?"

Of course,he obviously did not think Imperialism and mass murder is not quite the moral or " right thing to do". But then, all the gay community is ever concerned about ,or even aware of, is .....

We're talking specifically about his effect on the gay community. Don't try and palm the blame off on us for the monstrous things he did around the world.

I am not not "palming" any blame on "us".

And you also admit that he is monstrous.

So I've made my point clear enough.

What is your problem?

" But then, all the gay community is ever concerned about ,or even aware of, is ....."

That is my problem. Stating that gay people are only concerned about themselves whilst implying that all those worthy straight people are concerned only for the welfare of others.

Edited by sustento

The only thing that creep ever did because he thought it the right thing ,was bring in the human rights law ,so his wife could make money and suck up to America and anyone who could make him rich when he was kicked out of power.

Personally i have no problem with a persons sexual likes ,if two men or women want to have sex or live with each other ,up to them ,but i do have a problem with gays constantly going on about "their rights" please give it a rest and get on with your lives.

• Like 1

LOL... If you really think that you really are clueless.

• Like 1