Photos of beach walkway about one month ago.

thaibeachlovers

Honestly, is anyone surprised?

Low skilled labor ALWAYS give low skilled results. It doesn't matter where in the world you are, the end result is the same when you use unskilled labor.

I think skilled and dedicated foremen and planners are enough to make good use of unskilled labor.

Many great things were built by unskilled labor.

Unfortunately, I doubt the foremen and planners used for public infrastructure in Thailand are any good, given the inferior results I see around me evey day.

Thanks for the reality check. Fortunately, in a few places they did not cut down all of the old-growth umbrella trees (left a few small ones on the beach). Those trees are trying to spread out and provide some shade. I expect the City to eventually cut them down given that they seem to always do the wrong thing.

They really did not want to remove some umbrella trees, but they completely blocked the overhead lights from shining along the path. They felt that safety of the pedestrians should come first. There was a solid reason for removing them.

you have obviously not been in Pattaya very long. about 3 walkway versions ago they had some nice pavement level lighting which was absolutely satisfactory. then they installed the highway lights for the beach, not the walkway, imo.

if security is a concern, they could have some of those police leave walking street and do some real work by patrolling the walkway.

• Like 1

Well the next promenade re-do should be better only because it can not get much worse..

They could plant some real trees,put in decent lighting and add a lot more seats and this version would not be half bad....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

You need to take some update pictures of all the portable water pumps that have rolled up because there was no adequate drainage system installed in work.

????

They redid the drainage pipes for 3 years in a row back in the 90s, putting in larger pipes every time. Now the pipes are pretty big, so I don't see the need for additional pumps, unless, of course, they never cleaned the pipes, and they blocked up.

You need to take some update pictures of all the portable water pumps that have rolled up because there was no adequate drainage system installed in work.

????

They redid the drainage pipes for 3 years in a row back in the 90s, putting in larger pipes every time. Now the pipes are pretty big, so I don't see the need for additional pumps, unless, of course, they never cleaned the pipes, and they blocked up.

doesnt really matter how large the pipes are, its flat low land. until they pipe it out under the beach in half a dozen or so locations along the beach there is no solution, they will just have to pump it out and they are stupidly pumping it onto the beach while paying huge amounts of money trying to figure out where the sand is going and how they will replace it

• Like 1

There is no need to massacre shade trees for safety, lighting or whatever excuses they comer up with. Don't believe me, go to Singapore and look for yourself.

Your preaching to the quire: Its City Hall that needs the message. Re: The drain pipes , yes they are large diameter but where are the large intakes ?

And as above maybe a gradient problem too.In any event City Hall obviously does not have a competent civil engineer.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

Marine Parade and ECP Awohalitsiktoli ?

I am at a loss in terms of understanding what "marine parade and ecp awohalitsiktoli" means. If it means, "stand down," that is fine. It is hard for me to get over the fact that they removed so many old growth trees without any pressing need to do so. Over and out!

There is no need to massacre shade trees for safety, lighting or whatever excuses they comer up with. Don't believe me, go to Singapore and look for yourself.

Your preaching to the quire: Its City Hall that needs the message. Re: The drain pipes , yes they are large diameter but where are the large intakes ?

And as above maybe a gradient problem too.In any event City Hall obviously does not have a competent civil engineer.

Oh dear another spelling error : That should be preaching to the choir.

I am at a loss in terms of understanding what "marine parade and ecp awohalitsiktoli" means. If it means, "stand down," that is fine. It is hard for me to get over the fact that they removed so many old growth trees without any pressing need to do so. Over and out!

I recognise the pictures as Marine Parade, park walkway and the East Coast Parkway Road leading to the airport in Singapore.

they removed them to fit the extra lane in, most of the rest are still there, but personally I preferred the trees more then the speeding buses

• Like 1

they removed them to fit the extra lane in, most of the rest are still there, but personally I preferred the trees more then the speeding buses

Every time I look at that new lane I wonder what it was all for??

The new lane to nowhere improves traffic a very tiny bit at a huge and ugly

loss to Pattays one and only semi park...

Plus the new flat as a pancake promenade seems to work extremely well as a

destroyer of the beach now with even a little flooding...

I really wonder some times where this rotten egg of a redesign was hatched at....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

Where is JSixpack to educate us all on this??

He knows that the extra lane has been a complete success and has improved the attractiveness of Pattaya to potential tourists 100-fold so has moved on to other topics!

• Like 1

Every time I look at that new lane I wonder what it was all for??

The new lane to nowhere improves traffic a very tiny bit at a huge and ugly

loss to Pattays one and only semi park...

Plus the new flat as a pancake promenade seems to work extremely well as a

destroyer of the beach now with even a little flooding...

I really wonder some times where this rotten egg of a redesign was hatched at....

Dont be too critical of the folks at the City Hall planning department: They are still working on how to turn the lights on every day. On second thought, in addition: Not sure if city Hall is in control anymore because it looks like the big touring businesses have taken over Pattaya. And what happened to that twice advertised beach restoration project ?

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reality check. Fortunately, in a few places they did not cut down all of the old-growth umbrella trees (left a few small ones on the beach). Those trees are trying to spread out and provide some shade. I expect the City to eventually cut them down given that they seem to always do the wrong thing.

They really did not want to remove some umbrella trees, but they completely blocked the overhead lights from shining along the path. They felt that safety of the pedestrians should come first. There was a solid reason for removing them.

The trees were designed wrong or the lighting system was designed my nitwits with no concern for the environment.

Those stadium lights are stupid. They lit up my bedroom when i lived on beach road.

And besides, lights like that throw deep shadows where the troublemakers lurk.

Each light probably costs about 20,000Bt per month in electric and they are throwing half of it into the sky.

There are thousands of tasteful options available in the commercial lighting field. No need to chop down your old growth hardwood trees.

Its posts like this that show how out of touch with reality some people on this forum are. You can hate the walkway and the lighting all you want, but your arguments are completely ridiculous.

The lights that you are referring to are the exact same ones that are on Sukhumvit road. They are designed for road safety and to spread light over a large area. On beach road this area is the walkway and the beach area. They are mounted up very high and point down, not at the sky like you suggest. They are not stadium lights. Have you ever been to a stadium that has a light pole in the center of the field that covers 360 degrees?

Way to throw out a completely random electricity cost of the lights too, like you have a clue what wattage they are. If you are such an expert on commercial lighting, why don't you suggest a better alternative? Or would you just rather type away complaining about things everyday?

If you went to the top of the Hilton and had a look at the city at night you would see that the beach road walkway actually looks pretty good at night.

Somebody said something good about Pattaya and made our haters and doomsayers all soil their knickers.

This has got to be turned into yet another DYING PATTAYA bash.

Pattaya disastrously, constructed a promenade w/o insufficient input from its foreign doomsayers, who had, before it was even finished, declaimed bitterly the lack of shade and benches on, and the poor view from, its promenade.

• Like 1