Thailand is now the largest producer or edible insects

Lite Beer

May be a good source of protein, but not very appetising.

Expect burger/sausage manufs to ground up the insects and add to their products.

Or, some Austrian marketing genius to brand the Crickets-in-a-Can with the slogan "Gives You Legs"

So maybe TAT can use this in promoting Thailand. Amazing Thailand! #1producers of edible bugs. We will bug you forever if you dont come to visit!

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Crickets have found their way to the US where cricket protein bars can be purchase as well as cricket flour that can be used for baking, and if the trend to use insects continues then Thailand could be sitting on an industry that could really take off!"

Cricket has long been popular in the more civilized countries in the world after being discovered by the British over 400 years ago. It is best eaten slowly and goes well with a beer or a gin and tonic.

Several dishes have become very popular. Cricket balls, made by grinding them up into a paste and then deep frying are popular in the West Indies as well as the much larger version, the Cricket Bat, which the Australians insist, when barbecued, is the best way to enjoy cricket. The Indians prefer their cricket curried with basmati on the side. Thailand is well on the way to catching up with more advanced nations like Zimbabwe and one can look forward to new exciting dishes such as Kow Pat Cricket, Deep fried Chili Cricket balls and Phad Krapow Yourout!

Crickets balls would be on the small side mthinks.

"Crickets have found their way to the US where cricket protein bars can be purchase as well as cricket flour that can be used for baking, and if the trend to use insects continues then Thailand could be sitting on an industry that could really take off!"

Cricket has long been popular in the more civilized countries in the world after being discovered by the British over 400 years ago. It is best eaten slowly and goes well with a beer or a gin and tonic.

Several dishes have become very popular. Cricket balls, made by grinding them up into a paste and then deep frying are popular in the West Indies as well as the much larger version, the Cricket Bat, which the Australians insist, when barbecued, is the best way to enjoy cricket. The Indians prefer their cricket curried with basmati on the side. Thailand is well on the way to catching up with more advanced nations like Zimbabwe and one can look forward to new exciting dishes such as Kow Pat Cricket, Deep fried Chili Cricket balls and Phad Krapow Yourout!

Crickets balls would be on the small side mthinks.

http://io9.com/5685272/bush-crickets-have-the-worlds-biggest-testicles-relatively-speaking

"It takes only two pounds of feed and one gallon of water to produce a pound of crickets."

I actually enjoyed eating fried silk worms and grasshoppers, until I read an article that pointed out that the insects on the market are the ones who were able to survive all the chemicals sprayed on plants and they contain a very high level of toxins. "Would you prefer a side order of DDT or Round Up with your meal?"

Or instead of blindly believing a myth you could more rationally consider that those on sale in quantity, which are the ones most people consume, are produced commercially. They are not the minute proportion of survivors of sprayed crops collected in the fields.

In 1995, as a ratifier to the Stockhom Convention, Thailand prohibited the production, import, export and possession of DDT.

Although the article was in a scientific agricultural journal, I'd sooner believe a myth than a "ratifier" that constantly claimed they had prohibited slave labor on their nation's fishing vessels. And one must also research the origin and methods of the growing of the feed used to raise the insects. I doubt they feed their insects safer food than they feed the human populace.

A lot of words to say you have no information just beliefs.

I tried some dried grass hopers and didn't like them so I put them out for the birds.

They were out there a long time.

We all have beliefs. But not necessarily facts.

Just so I don't run out of likes I would like to point out that I found a lot of the posts funny and I liked them.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 2

"It takes only two pounds of feed and one gallon of water to produce a pound of crickets."

I actually enjoyed eating fried silk worms and grasshoppers, until I read an article that pointed out that the insects on the market are the ones who were able to survive all the chemicals sprayed on plants and they contain a very high level of toxins. "Would you prefer a side order of DDT or Round Up with your meal?"

Or instead of blindly believing a myth you could more rationally consider that those on sale in quantity, which are the ones most people consume, are produced commercially. They are not the minute proportion of survivors of sprayed crops collected in the fields.

In 1995, as a ratifier to the Stockhom Convention, Thailand prohibited the production, import, export and possession of DDT.

That would be why soil samples in the north east still to this day have it. Residues go on for a very long time it seems.....

Produce the article and or the facts to support your off the cuff post or retract it.

• Like 1

Although the article was in a scientific agricultural journal, I'd sooner believe a myth than a "ratifier" that constantly claimed they had prohibited slave labor on their nation's fishing vessels. And one must also research the origin and methods of the growing of the feed used to raise the insects. I doubt they feed their insects safer food than they feed the human populace.

Are you in the habit of being a scare monger based on zero facts??????

• Like 1

That would be why soil samples in the north east still to this day have it. Residues go on for a very long time it seems.....

Sooo you went and got some soil samples and had them analyzed did you? Please post the report.

• Like 1

so how do they kill the insects? An individual knock on the head for each one, or a labor saving and delicious cloud of DDT?

Cricket farms deliver cupboard box full of living insects to vendors. Vendors just scoop them up from the cupboard box and fry them alive in hot oil.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The protein found on some insects is quite a lot. Considering the world is running out of enough food to feed the every expanding population, insects are no doubt going to be part of everyone's diet in the future.

"...the world is running out of enough food to feed the every expanding population,"

Where did you get that gem from?

Edited by Triplebank999

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You guys should get out of your caves once in a while.

As the article says, cricket bars and cricket flour are available in the western world. I've seen them in the US.

here are a few that are readily available:
http://bittyfoods.com/

http://chapul.com/

http://exoprotein.com/

I don't live in a cave. Nor do I search the internet and pretend like others who don't live in a cave.

The protein found on some insects is quite a lot. Considering the world is running out of enough food to feed the every expanding population, insects are no doubt going to be part of everyone's diet in the future.

"...the world is running out of enough food to feed the every expanding population,"

Where did you get that gem from?

I think what he meant is that the world is producing so much food and the governments are subsidizing the farmers so much that they don't have to sell it just store it. Or in some cases don't grow it they will get paid money for not growing it.

OK maybe that is not what he meant but it is what is happening.

Showed this to Wifei this morning. We're returning to LOS next week after a spell in Egypt and she can't wait to get down to the market and buy bags of grubs 'n' bugs! I guess my menu is about see some interesting developments. w00t.gif

Edited by Moonlover

'Crickets have found their way to the US where cricket protein bars can be purchase as well as cricket flour ...' Damn! And there were the Yanks, thinking they were helping to support the Ashes.

'... if the trend to use insects continues ... Thailand could be sitting on an industry that could really take off!' Just like the little blighters to take flight before the feast.