British Brass Band to Perform in Pattaya

goatfarmer

I don't know if Brass Bands are limited to the UK, but they are not like American college marching bands, although each band had its own uniform.

I am in UK at the moment and saw a TV programme which mentioned 20,000 Brass Bands were in existence at the start of the 20th century. Must have been well over half a million participants, mainly in working class areas. Imagine all these people being introduced to, and taught music in their spare time.

Competitions were held at town county and National level and many fine musicians went on to greater things.

I would certainly attend if I was back in time, but sadly, I will not be back

• Like 1

I don't know if Brass Bands are limited to the UK, but they are not like American college marching bands, although each band had its own uniform.

I am in UK at the moment and saw a TV programme which mentioned 20,000 Brass Bands were in existence at the start of the 20th century. Must have been well over half a million participants, mainly in working class areas. Imagine all these people being introduced to, and taught music in their spare time.

Competitions were held at town county and National level and many fine musicians went on to greater things.

I would certainly attend if I was back in time, but sadly, I will not be back

"... mainly in working class areas."

There's a surprise. I was wondering why I never saw one in the drawing room at Downton Abbey or playing in the background when the Queen receives an ambassador's credentials.

• Like 1

Desford Colliery closed 30 years ago, so none of this band will have coal dust under their fingernails. Though their roots are working class, now they tour extensively around the world and much of their music is classical. No need to wear a chip on the shoulder if you go to watch them.

Sorry to have to tell you, raro, but your drummer has an E flat or B flat euphonium NOT a tuba - judging by the global tour posters ....

Oh dear, I'm not the one to tell him...
after having done some research on this, it is neither a tuba nor a Euphonium but a Sousaphone.

Sorry to have to tell you, raro, but your drummer has an E flat or B flat euphonium NOT a tuba - judging by the global tour posters ....

after having done some research on this, it is neither a tuba nor a Euphonium but a Sousaphone.

haha .... seems we can both make mistakes after all :) ..... this is the first mistake I have made since 1975 :)

• Like 1

haha .... seems we can both make mistakes after all :) ..... this is the first mistake I have made since 1975 :)

Short term memory loss comes with age, no worries, Peter...

Why 300bht if your under 26?

To encourage younger people to attend. Younger people often have lesser means. They need not be a student.

Why encourage younger people to attend? So that there might be an audience in the future when we old farts are long gone.

"I'll go to the foot of our stairs !"

Any chance of a Scottish Regiment..Pipes and Drums ?

While in Lumpini once, a school band were practising, when they took a break I went over and let a few listen to my player of above, they were thrilled.

Sure would be nice!

There's always a chance. Depends on who's passing through and who we can grab.

You have never heard of a student discount?

http://pattayaclassicalmusic.com/2014-10-26_Desford-Colliery-Band.html

At 26? smile.png

Not sure where 26 came from but it is on the 26th of October. My sense is the discount is for students, show your student id and you get the discount, if you are 18 or 30.

Under 26 300bht?

post-15930-0-26657200-1411808585.png

:)

• Like 1

At 26? smile.png

Not sure where 26 came from but it is on the 26th of October. My sense is the discount is for students, show your student id and you get the discount, if you are 18 or 30.

Under 26 300bht?

:)

Talk about confusion, which flyer do you want to believe?

post-9935-0-20746200-1412132663_thumb.jp

To make it more attractive to the average Pattaya expat pensioner - as his g/f will get the discount.

But, on a serious note (geddit?) I would really like to hear a brass band arrangement of HM the King's song (the one played at the cinema before the main feature - not the National Anthem) I reckon that would make the hairs on the back of ones neck stand up.

At 26? smile.png

Minors...

Or Miners?

• Like 1

To make it more attractive to the average Pattaya expat pensioner - as his g/f will get the discount.

But, on a serious note (geddit?) I would really like to hear a brass band arrangement of HM the King's song (the one played at the cinema before the main feature - not the National Anthem) I reckon that would make the hairs on the back of ones neck stand up.

And bring a tear to a glass eye.

At 26? smile.png

Under 26 300bht?

smile.png

Talk about confusion, which flyer do you want to believe?

The website is wrong. I have brought the error to the attention of the webmaster. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

goatfarmer,

Not clear to me, the website says, 300baht for students. Then this is wrong, and in fact it is a youth discount for those under 26. Right? I intend to go.

The website is wrong. The poster is right. The ticket will make it clear. The discount is for all people who were born on or after October 25th 1988; who have not reached their 26th birthday by 26th October.

Look forward to seeing you at the concert.

• Like 1

goatfarmer,

Not clear to me, the website says, 300baht for students. Then this is wrong, and in fact it is a youth discount for those under 26. Right? I intend to go.

The website is wrong. The poster is right. The ticket will make it clear. The discount is for all people who were born on or after October 25th 1988; who have not reached their 26th birthday by 26th October.

Look forward to seeing you at the concert.

Thanks!