Garmin GPS Map update in Hua Hin - where?

Larry Banks

While you're asking for help with your Garmin I'd like to ask some advice on GPS models ?

I need one which works in English (like yours) and can save previous routes as a 'named route' so I can follow them again in the future.

I occasionally take taxis around the country, like from Hua Hin to certain places in Bangkok and the driver I use for these trips knows all sorts of short cuts which I will never remember. In the future I plan to drive myself.

The next time I go to Bangkok I'd like to record the journey from point to point both on the way there there and on the way back using a GPS and save it so in future when I drive myself I can just follow the previously recorded route.

Do you have any recommendations for a good model that I should buy which can do this ?

I had a garmin some 10-15 years ago in Europe and it wasn the best thing available at the time.

Edit : I'd also like to buy it in Hua Hin

Edited by ukrules

@Ne1. that will only work if she is eligible.

Linda do you have Lifetime Map updates for your Gps, or if you can't answer that, which GPS do you have and approx when did you buy it.

But just in case, contact eaglegps in Chang Mai and see if they can help.

Edited by MJCM

@ukrules

I suspect that any Garmin could do that.

On your PC load the Garmin SW Basecamp on it, (after a trip) connect your garmin GPS to your PC, open basecamp and you can follow the route you have taken with your GPS on your PC screen.

When you check out a Garmin GPS, just check that under Navigation, the option TripLog is available.

edit 1: and of course you can create a route from that, just look up Garmin basecamp on the internet (many youtube videos tutorials available)

Edited by MJCM

@ukrules

On your PC load the Garmin SW Basecamp on it, (after a trip) connect your garmin GPS to your PC, open basecamp and you can follow the route you have taken with your GPS on your PC screen.

When you check out a Garmin GPS, just check that under Navigation, the option TripLog is available.

edit 1: and of course you can create a route from that, just look up Garmin basecamp on the internet (many youtube videos tutorials available)

Yes, sounds good - I think I'll order one.

@ukrules

Yes, sounds good - I think I'll order one.

Check out EagleGps (chang mai) and the guy who owns it is also a member here.

Note: I am not affiliated in anyway or work for them, just a happy customer.

www.garmin.co.th

This is a the local Garmin affiliate in Bangkok. If your unit is still under it's one year warranty they will send you the latest map free of charge, otherwise you pay for the latest Thailand map. Specify English when you contact them, arrange payment and they will send you the latest map for your unit model electronically. It's easy to install when you hook it up to a the computer that contains the map but they can also send you instructions if you're not confident in figuring out how to do this yourself.

While you're asking for help with your Garmin I'd like to ask some advice on GPS models ?

I need one which works in English (like yours) and can save previous routes as a 'named route' so I can follow them again in the future.

I occasionally take taxis around the country, like from Hua Hin to certain places in Bangkok and the driver I use for these trips knows all sorts of short cuts which I will never remember. In the future I plan to drive myself.

The next time I go to Bangkok I'd like to record the journey from point to point both on the way there there and on the way back using a GPS and save it so in future when I drive myself I can just follow the previously recorded route.

Do you have any recommendations for a good model that I should buy which can do this ?

I had a garmin some 10-15 years ago in Europe and it wasn the best thing available at the time.

Edit : I'd also like to buy it in Hua Hin

If you are looking to record the journey then you want a hand held unit. These are prohibitively expensive in Thailand.

Instead buy a decent smart Android phone >8000 Baht and download the free GPS Navigation app, complete with free downloadable maps of Thailand, indeed most countries of the world.

As an added bonus you can also take photographs, surf the internet, SKYPE and even make phone calls...

• Like 1

If you are looking to record the journey then you want a hand held unit. These are prohibitively expensive in Thailand.

Instead buy a decent smart Android phone >8000 Baht and download the free GPS Navigation app, complete with free downloadable maps of Thailand, indeed most countries of the world.

As an added bonus you can also take photographs, surf the internet, SKYPE and even make phone calls...

Interesting, would the Garmin nuvi 3592LM do the job, it is an android device apparently ?

It costs 13,500 Baht on the Eagle GPS website - which seems reasonable, the GPS I bought many years ago cost a lot more than that and offered a lot less.

Not only a handheld will record your journey. Basic Garmins will do the same, if you email Maurycy (EagleGps) he will give you a list which Garmin does that, and there are cheaper ones then 13k who will do that.

For example this one:

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/33-nuvi-2467lm

The Nuvi 2467LM (where LM stands for Lifetime Maps) which costs 5990 THB

Additional Specs

Trip Planner: yes

Trip Log: yes

Or even cheaper the Nuvi 42 (3990 THB)

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/32-nuvi-42

Additional Specs

Trip Planner: no

The only drawback is that model doesn't have a Trip Planner.

Edited by MJCM

This is how triplogs look like if you connect your (Normal) Garmin GPS to your Computer and open Garmin Basecamp

Picture of the triplogs (as stored on the GPS)

post-10213-0-35599800-1411897087_thumb.j

Details of the triplog (Please Note GPS Data Removed)

post-10213-0-80940700-1411897370_thumb.j

Details of the Triplog on the screen of Basecamp

post-10213-0-72137800-1411897146_thumb.j

Edited by MJCM

Not only a handheld will record your journey. Basic Garmins will do the same, if you email Maurycy (EagleGps) he will give you a list which Garmin does that, and there are cheaper ones then 13k who will do that.

For example this one:

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/33-nuvi-2467lm

The Nuvi 2467LM (where LM stands for Lifetime Maps) which costs 5990 THB

Additional Specs

Trip Planner: yes

Or even cheaper the Nuvi 42 (3990 THB)

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/index.php/en/products/automotive-main-menu1/product/32-nuvi-42

Additional Specs

Trip Planner: no

The only drawback is that model doesn't have a Trip Planner.

These units are not really designed as handheld. Max two hours battery life before having to recharge.

Other drawbacks are the small screen size, no other functions, no free maps.

An Android phone is the way to go.

Every month or so new free updates to the OSM based maps.

<snip>

These units are not really designed as handheld. Max two hours battery life before having to recharge.

Other drawbacks are the small screen size, no other functions, no free maps.

An Android phone is the way to go.

Every month or so new free updates to the OSM based maps.

Agree, but the fact that he is looking for a nuvi 3592LM suggests to me that is looking for something which he can use in the car and not particularly a Handheld, that's why the recommendations for these 2 devices.

wai.gif