Big bike stand kill switch. Is there such a thing?

cmcom

All a kill switch is , is a micro switch as fitted to a door contact in a alarm system. Electrical / computer shops may stock water proof ones. Shrink wrap all connections and your only problem is securly mounting it , otherwise it will cut the power at the wrong moment.

Most modern bikes have the kill switch to prevent riding with the stand down. And when I say modern bike, I mean my 1989 FZR 400 has this little feature, and CBR1000RR also has it. Engine will kill if in any forward gear with kick stand down.. (I do note that my Yamaha TZM150, mid 1990's vintage does not.)

It is pretty easy to forget that the stand is down, but adding a "kill switch" is not IMO the answer. I have had a bigger problem with forgetting the disc brake lock on my bike and trying to drive away with the lock still on than with the riding with the stand down (I wish the locks came with a red plastic "key" to go into the ignition to remind you to remove the lock). And there have been many times that I wanted to start/run the engine with the stand down and could not because of the kill switch. The kill switch is "over kill" so to speak. I wish that they would put a red light on the gauge panel telling you that the stand is down like they do with the door ajar light on cars rather than an engine kill switch. If I was going to add anything it would be a switch with a light (probably mounted on the handlebar near the gauges) and not tie the switch to the engine.

• Like 1

It is pretty easy to forget that the stand is down, but adding a "kill switch" is not IMO the answer. I have had a bigger problem with forgetting the disc brake lock on my bike and trying to drive away with the lock still on than with the riding with the stand down (I wish the locks came with a red plastic "key" to go into the ignition to remind you to remove the lock). And there have been many times that I wanted to start/run the engine with the stand down and could not because of the kill switch. The kill switch is "over kill" so to speak. I wish that they would put a red light on the gauge panel telling you that the stand is down like they do with the door ajar light on cars rather than an engine kill switch. If I was going to add anything it would be a switch with a light (probably mounted on the handlebar near the gauges) and not tie the switch to the engine.

Why don't you get a cheap bungy type thingy.. Attach it to your disc lock and the other end looped over the throttle, then you might not forget the lock !!

Yes, most places where you buy the disc lock will also sell the plastic bungy thingy (usually in bright yellow or other bright colours) which is purely for this purpose.

• Like 1

All a kill switch is , is a micro switch as fitted to a door contact in a alarm system. Electrical / computer shops may stock water proof ones. Shrink wrap all connections and your only problem is securly mounting it , otherwise it will cut the power at the wrong moment.

The biggest issue with installing one post manufactured date is that it won't tie into the gears. Thus you end up losing all ability to warm up your bike unless you're sitting on it or have it up on a stand.

Luckily I haven't ran into the same issue as the OP, but I wish that the arms had long legs that you engage with your toe to move out of the 'up' position and some sort of spring to make sure the side stand is fully extended...that's caught me before where I've been frantically grabbing for the bike when the stand wasn't all the way out.

there is advantage and of cos it's bad side.

you can't warm up your bike,you might forget to raise it up.

but I think i will add a buzzer or maybe link it to the signal lights so that both turn signals will blink when the stand is down, just like a car hazard signal.

this will prolly solve the issue.. lol..

I believe stand kill switch has to be standard at all bikes. Even the most experienced riders forget that.

And this will kill your disc lock issues. Sold at panda rider for 200 thb something.

post-184955-0-56534100-1411971221_thumb.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Back in Oz the problem is if they are faulty you need a bank loan to afford a new one. The one on my ST gave me trouble and I went to Honda to see what the price is...$109! W_T_F!

So I went home and pulled the old one out taped it in the right spot, taped it up under the engine and forgot about it. Never had a problem with the side stand as I always double check everything.

Edited by BSJ

You can get a disc lock with an alarm, just sitting on or putting bike up right it gives a warning bleep before the full alarm sound. 495 bht.

• Like 1

You can get a disc lock with an alarm, just sitting on or putting bike up right it gives a warning bleep before the full alarm sound. 495 bht.

Thanks. Perfect solution -- kills two birds with one stone. I'm headed to Mad Max this week, and I'll check it out.

Thailaw. Do you have a web link for that product?

Sorry, what "product" are you referring to?

If you are referring to the disc lock with an alarm, no I don't. But I have seen them in several shops and I am sure that Mad Max in BKK will stock several from different mgf's at different prices. The better ones are by Xena and are B2,000 and up. But I expect that the one that Kwasaki is referring to is a lower end model and that will probably fit my needs. Again, if it is the disc lock with an alarm that you are asking about, maybe Kwasaki will fill us both in with name and manufacturer information.

If you are referring to a "kill switch" wired to a light, I doubt that there is a single product on the shelf with that set up, and would need to be fashioned with a cut-off switch and a mountable light. The parts shouldn't be hard to find, but the switch will need to be changed from "open" to "closed" circuit when the stand is down. I am sure that someone can make one for you, but I couldn't guess for what price.

Edited by Thailaw

Assuming that you mean the warning light for your kickstand, Google "warning light for kickstand" and you will get many descriptions of how it can be done/made. Here is one warning light/switch that a guy did for his Goldwing:

"I keep forgetting to put the kickstand up when I start out. So I decided to put a switch on it to remind me. I used a normally open magnetic switch like is used on home alarm systems, a bright red flashing LED, a 1k resistor and a small rare earth magnet.

I mounted the switch on the frame part of the kickstand mount using permatex ultra. The rare earth magnet on the stand. I moved the magnet around and using an ohm meter to check operation. Then put some ultra to make sure it did not migrate. Ran one wire from the switch to ground and a 22 guage wire from the other terminal up to the dash. The LED I mounted by drilling a hole in the panel where the radio used to be. I soldered the 1k resistor to the long lead on the LED and a wire on the other end of the resistor and attached it to an accessory terminal. The wire from the grounding magnetic switch went to the LED shor lead. When I turn the key on the LED starts flashing and stays flashing until I raise the kickstand."

It doesn't sound too difficult or expensive.

• Like 1

I'm afraid not and I just had a look at the lock and the key and there's no names.

All the ones I see like mind are a charcoal enamel colour and are 495 bht usually, most motorbike stalls or small shop probably stock em.

Had Xena's and find them too sensitive and end up taking the battery out, these are cheap and good for what I need.

I would replace with the same type again if I have any problems with it.

My CRF came with a kickstand-kill trigger. Turned out to be a massive problem.

I threw the bike down the road somewhere in the middle of the Chiang Mai - Pai road. (motocross tires vs wet tarmac)

Anyway, the kickstand took a bit of punishment in the slide and the switch was somehow bust. It meant that the bike thought that the stand was always down and would not allow the bike to run while in gear. An annoying problem when in the middle of a mountain road unlit at 2200.

After pushing the bike for an hour I decided to just cut and rewire the switch.

Never again...